Jackson Pro Series Mick Thomson

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JustinRhoads1980, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

USA is the way to go my man. Always. I would get one, but I am poor af right now

2. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

Me too haha, I just bought a USA Jackson B8, so it'll be awhile before the next guitar comes in I would think. But by then maybe some will have hit the used market, so I can take advantage of the savings

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  3. JustinRhoads1980

I prob wouldn't see a Mick thomson usa used for AWHILE especially at a good price so I decided to get the pro series instead. Hopefully mine doesn't have any major issues. Will it make me ocd that some things are 100%, yes it will, but my Used USA soloist has dents and dings in it so I will get over it

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Generally speaking I'm opposed to returns over minor quibbles, but because this comes sans truss rod cover I'd be annoyed by it.

5. JustinRhoads1980

It comes with a truss rod cover

6. Gravy Train

No it does not. The pro I played did not have a truss rod cover, nor the screw holes for one

7. JustinRhoads1980

Skip to 1:46, It comes with the guitar when you buy it

BlackSG91 likes this.
  8. Gravy Train

Hmm, I guess I stand corrected! Guessing you have to personally make a screw hole and drill it?

9. JustinRhoads1980

I am pretty sure you do. Personally I really do not care to do that because I could care less if it has a truss rod cover on it or not. I am more concerned for QC issues and shit since I have seen a lot of people mentioning it. If there are chips or something really messed up with the binding I think I will cry since I have waited so long for this guitar and it would be a shame if it is a piece of garbo

10. groverj3

In my experience since Jackson's pro series moved to Indonesia it has been the same level as Ibanez premium. Meaning, it will look nice, and probably play fine. However, it will be lacking in some attention to detail areas. The truss rod route above is unsurprising, but one of the more egregious examples. My bet is that most of them are better than that, but I wouldn't be surprised by more of them showing up like that either. There's a reason truss rod covers are standard, finishing in there can be rough.

Slight binding overspray is also unsurprising on an indo-made model, this wouldn't be an issue for me though.

You'll probably need a fret dress when it does come in though. That's pretty standard procedure. It'll likely have some rough fret ends.

IMHO, buying anything, from any brand, made in Indonesia, means you're going to spend some time getting it set up well. There likely won't be serious issues that hurt playability though.

11. Carcaridon

Carcaridon SS.org Regular

It's great to see these are finally popping up. It feels like eternity since I ordered mine and as luck would have it, the last of the 4 to show its face so far. Keep waiting.....

12. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

I like the ebony fret board which is a real plus and the neck-thru body design for better stability. I really like the guitar and it's simplistic look. It's a guitar I wouldn't mind owning.

;>)/

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  13. JustinRhoads1980

How much do fret dresses cost?

14. JustinRhoads1980

Pretty much the main reason why I have bought it. Jacksons are my fave, but the other stuff has weird colors on their quilt tops and some just look tacky as fuck. This looks classy as hell and even though it has pickups that are either a love/hate relationship, I am willing to give them a try.

I just do not want the neck to be too thin or any serious or medium-serious QC issues

BlackSG91 likes this.
  15. groverj3

If it needs it, and you're only needing the ends filed down to make it more comfortable, you're looking at the $30-40 range. That video review indicated that they didn't need it, but it's so dependent on the individual guitar, and what the humidity is where you live, etc. It will also change over time, as the fretboard wood will probably shrink slightly. I've had custom shop guitars need it and $250 used guitars that didn't :lol:. It's actually not very hard to do the fret ends yourself with the appropriate files in front of the TV, but it's totally reasonable if you don't want to practice this on a guitar you're spending a fair amount of money on.

I wouldn't think it'd need a leveling or anything like that. That runs more, like $80ish. It's possible, but I doubt it.

16. JustinRhoads1980

When would I need a fret level? Is there stuff I can check for this?

17. groverj3

Usually this presents itself as a high/low fret somewhere. You'd notice a note that won't sound at all, or without excessive buzz, somewhere along the neck due to the next fret up from it being slightly higher.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice something amiss.

The pro series SL2 I had a while back was totally fine from a leveling standpoint, although it needed a fret end dressing after I moved to Arizona (because it's super dry here and the fretboard shrank). This was from the very first batch, in 2013, that had worse QC than they have had since they stopped using the Wildwood factory and moved to Cort/Samick like everyone else making guitars in Indonesia. The guitar played great, and I only got rid of it to get a custom shop model. If it plays like that, it'll be a good buy. It will need a setup for intonation/string height/neck relief and perhaps the fret dressing. That is normal for any brand new instrument though.

18. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

So I restrung the guitar and tuned it to drop b and it sounds much better now. Action was surprisingly good with the higher tension strings and only needed a tweak to the neck relief and low b saddle. I also drilled a hole in the headstock and installed the truss rod cover.
    I mentioned the QC issues to the dealer and they offered another 10% back so that was cool of them. I'm still getting used to the neck, but I'm quite happy with this guitar.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. JustinRhoads1980

I am getting the guitar for $720 plus tax so I am assuming that is pretty good even though mine might not have any serious QC issues?

20. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I wonder if you could put a D-Tuna on that bridge, if so then that would be a cool guitar for drop tunings since it doesn't have a floating trem system.