Jackson kelly modifications

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by ZERO1, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

So I am not sure if this is the place to post it, but I figured I would give it a shot. So I am considering getting this jackson kelly http://jacksonguitars.com/guitars/kelly/models/x-series-kelly-kext-rosewood-fingerboard-gloss-black/

The issue I see as more a project guitar. I would generally change all the hardware. I am thinking of changing it to all black hardware and adding the hetset pick ups. The issue I ran when reading the specs on the jackson website is the tom styled is apparently compensated for the 12-16 inch radius fingerboard. Now I was thinking of replacing it with a gotoh. http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Tune-O-Matic-C710.aspx now I am not sure if this would work with this guitar. If anyone could help me out with this I would appreciate it. If this one does not work, but you guys all know one that would work let me know. Thanks.

Edit: Was wondering which locking tuners would be a direct fit. I think the gotoh six inline would work on this not sure. One more thing to add the guitar is bass wood. I don't have much experience with it as all my guitars are either mahogany or maple top and mahogany body. So how is bass wood for the body of a guitar?

2. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

They use Gotoh TOMs for the USA hardtails as well and those are 12-16" radius. Maybe just figure out which exaact gotoh model it is.

I'm personally not a fan of basswood however. It's usually used when they wanna keep the cost down. It sounds a bit dull.

3. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the response. Hmmm I wonder how I will figure that one out. It just sucks that jackson does not release a good specced kelly. Have to go through the trouble of basically changing everything...

4. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

A lot of the cheaper ones are poplar.
    They must have just had some extra poplar and decided to crank out Kellys with it.
    I think come Summer Namm they might give us some decent ones.
    I like the look of the Viola Burst JS, but it stands a good chance of not even being good if I changed everything. I don't want poplar and rosewood though.

5. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

I see. So maybe I should wait for summer namm? Or are you saying the bass wood made kellys aren't too bad?

6. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

I have a basswood Soloist. Not a bad guitar.
    I put Black Winters in it and really like it now.
    I think since the explorer shapes are resurging Jackson will reinvest in the Kelly.
    That's my hope at least.

7. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

I hope that as well, but I have been hoping for new, possibly pro series kelly since 2014. I think my best bet is just doing the upgrades that I want to do to that guitar. That or a custom order, but 3000ish grand is a bit steep for me.

8. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

If I were you, I'd wait till summer, in the meantime keep an eye out on Reverb and ebay for a used one. Mid level guitars lose so much value as a second hand, you might get one for a very good deal. 300-400 range.

Also maybe search for USA customs as well. I have owned my Kelly USA KE2 for 10 years now and I can tell you it's worth it. Have not refretted even and it was my main guitar for about 8 years. Just replaced the nut once. It might be hard to find a hard tail one but if you are patient you will find a great deal surely!\\

You can also get a used KE2 and block the trem. I just got my tremolno and will install it soon.

9. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice man. I just looked on ebay and found my dream kelly. well minus the floyd rose. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-KE2...471955?hash=item1a24ad1293:g:vvQAAOSwUKxYjNpD. It's so beautiful wish they made a production non floyded version. sigh. Well I can dream...

10. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

I was actually looking at the same one. Well it's worth it man! all you need is a tremol-no.
    Even though I'm not crazy about Floyds, I still love the way the string reacts when a guitar has a floyd instead of a fixed bridge.

11. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

That one says it has a Tremel no.

12. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Wow that one sold quickly...

13. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

I wanted to update this very old thread. This is the response from a jackson rep.

We cannot advise on modifications such as that because the only bridges we know to fit exactly are the bridges that come on it.

So if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to chime in.