Is Trump really gonna get there ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
  2. Explorer

I thought I was done, but one more thing from the Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...uction-of-justice-probe-to-mueller-1504207495

Trump's lawyers mistakenly believe hiring/firing power includes when wanting to obstruct justice.

The part about Comey being unreliable and prone to exaggeration is hilarious coming from Trump's lawyers, given the president's documented track record.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I would only disagree in that we now seem to be in some weird bizarro world where truth is malleable and a matter of political viewpoint, so Trump is actually defending law and order in the eyes of people who have a vested interest in his administration's objectives. But, there's bound to be a point where the world comes to it's senses and we get a collective, "yeah... Our bad, guys," from the GOP.

At least, I HOPE we snap out of this, lol.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I have lost faith in humanity.

People, en masse, are so simple. This whole load of crap comes from the idea of re team vs. blue team. The masses want an enemy to hate. I think that people generally want to hate someone for some reason. For a lot of folks, it was Obama, then HRC, and now it's Kim Jong Un. That's why we will never have peace- Joe Blow only feels validated about his life if he gets to pick a team and be mortal enemies with whomever is on the opposing team.

Maybe the only thing that would turn humanity around would be a deadly space alien invasion.

But, in the mean time, Trump has appointed a lobbyist with no knowledge of science as the head of NASA, is poised to shut down the USA federal government if Mexico doesn't pay for his border wall, and is two small decisions away from aggravating the start of potential WW III.

5. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Meanwhile, Clinton is now busy stoking the DNC-splintering fires that started during the campaign, so we can probably expect more trouncing come 2018/2020. F***ing Hell..

6. bostjan

I'm sorry, but looking back over a year ago now, at the primaries, how on Earth were those candidates the best anyone could come up with?

It seems the nation has been going astray. I think I'm in a parallel universe where everything is messed up. Please take me back to the normal universe where there were consequences for breaking the rules and getting caught.

tedtan likes this.
  7. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

^Maybe because - generally speaking - having an insatiable ego not only makes one a crappy human being, but also happens to be a prerequisite to starting (and surviving) a career as a politician?

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...nitpicking since I'm sure this was a typo, but he's poised to shut down the federal government if Congress doesn't fund his big, beautiful wall.

9. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I still need to know what the hell Trump has actually accomplished during his term.

Mostly because I'm trying to wrap my head around him already starting to campaign for reelection... particularly in my home state during the aftermath of the worst hurricane we've had in years...

10. bostjan

Let's call it a freudian slip. :lol:
    He drained the swamp, penned in the power of the EPA, removed some illegal immigrants and maybe more than a few legal ones, scared away would-be immigrants, and shook his fist at North Korea a few times.

11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

he banned trannsexuals from fighting for their nation

12. Science_Penguin

Also he glanced up at the solar eclipse for a bit, which I've heard hailed as "The bravest thing I've ever seen a president do."

No, but seriously, has anything been accomplished? Has he delivered on anything he promised his voters yet? I'll admit I'm not always knowledgeable about what's going on in politics, but thus far, I can see the wall's never gonna happen, his own party can't agree on healthcare, the most I can say as of now is, he might've made a few supremacists happy with the booting out of some immigrants and the transgender ban.

Is that enough to already have the audacity to say "Hey, vote for me again! Things are going great so far!" Or am I missing something important?

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

To those who voted for him, it's probably enough.

To the rest of us, it should be motivation to get off our asses and vote so he can't win a second term.

AxeHappy likes this.
  14. bostjan

This is far from exhaustive...

Some of this happened, the rest might be coming.

Didn't happen (yet).

Some regulations were lifted, but so far, it's been very little.

Mexico isn't going to pay for the wall.

Nothing yet.

False.

A bill is "in the works."

False.

Q1 salary went to the National Park Service. Q2 went to education.

Well, he tried.

Nothing yet.

Not sure if he was promising to make a "safe zone" or just thinking out loud, but whatever, it isn't going to fucking happen. ISIS isn't ever going to respect a "safe zone" ever, ...ever.

Thankfully, no.

Looks like this will not happen.

False.

Nothing yet.

Done.

Might be a bit of an issue now with what's come to light with Russia...

Nothing yet.

Nothing yet.

Done.

Nothing yet.

mongey and Insomnia like this.
  15. Science_Penguin

Well, as Meatloaf once said... 5 outta 22 ain't bad.

16. bostjan

Well, it's more like 3 + 2 halfish + 1 maybe ~10% done, but actually, that's not much worse than usual for a first year of presidency. :shrug:

But...I mean, are any of these things stuff that we really want? My issue is that he's in there giving up on the few good ideas with which I agreed and fighting tooth and nail for the dumbest ideas. I think the border wall is probably the least effective and most expensive thing we could pursue to solve a problem that's maybe not even going to be a problem anymore once our economy sinks from borrowing everything we are worth to build a big ugly wall.

Enforce our existing laws, yeah, sure, that's why they are there, sure. Make it easier to get a job that will likely cause health problems later in life and possibly premature death, ughn, err, pass? Appoint another conservative Supreme Court Justice - no thanks. Repeal Obamacare and go back to the dark ages of health care at a time when health care costs in this country are the worst they have ever been - are you serious?

AxeHappy likes this.
  17. Explorer

How weird is this?

Trump's official Friday schedule.

https://factba.se/topic/calendar

Russia's ambassador bragging about his warm private meeting with Trump.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-to-improve-relations-with-us/article/2633836

https://www.rt.com/news/402514-russian-ambassador-antonov-trump/

The most recent officially scheduled meeting about Russia on Trump's calendar is from July on that schedule, before Antonov was appointed.

Isn't it nice that the Russians have such close and undocumented access to President Trump?

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'll be interested in seeing what comes out of Trump's don't-call-it-a-pivot in striking a deal with the Democrats to tie Harvey relief to the debt cap bill. He ate up the positive media coverage after that, but it's tough to see the endgame - it positions the Democrats a bit better to tie some sort of DACA extension bill to the budget and cap extension, it allows Trump to claim to have done a "deal" and the public opportunity cost (tying a popular bill to a pretty wonky measure that your rank and file American probably doesn't really care about), but while a week later McConnell is now arguing it's not such a clear-cut slam dunk for the Democrats as it seems, the GOP was pretty clearly flabbergasted by his move. Not for nothing Trump's first "deal" he negotiated was one pushed by the opposition party.

The optimistic scenario is he realizes "hey, people like me when I don't do things that most people hate," and focuses on other popular measures with the possibility for Democratic support, most notably an infrastructure bill to rebuild our roads, bridges, airports, and train tracks, and put huge amount of blue collar Americans back to work in quality jobs that'll be around for at least several years. The risk to this scenario is Trump becomes more popular, and leverages that political capital to start going after priorities that are NOT broadly popular, including his wall and a Muslim ban (which have pockets of support but are clearly partisan, whereas helping Harvey victims was not).

The less optimistic scenario is he's just winging everything as he goes, and this isn't evidence of "deal-making," it's just chaos being a ladder and all of that, and that he's just continuing to blow up his relationship with Congressional Republicans.

It's really hard to tell what he's doing here, though. :lol:

19. bostjan

It'd be just our nation's luck if Trump had an epiphany, decided to do his best to really truly become the greatest president ever, just to have his past transgressions catch up with him and get him removed from office and replaced with Pence.

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm not holding my breath. :lol: