Is this a fair trade?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mguilherme87, Jul 7, 2018.

1. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

I have my orange tiny terror 15w head on craigslist... I am considering trading it for somebodies Krank Revolution Head (it used to be a combo that was converted into a head) provided I include a couple fuzz pedals. I've never heard any Krank amps, I own a EVH 5150iii 50w 6l6 head and matching 1x12 cab that I use primarily for recording and all gigging. The tiny terror stays at home for fun and was used on one recording...Its not versatile enough for me and has only a couple very specific "sweet spots" where I like it. I like a full, ballsy hard rock guitar tone and some good spanky cleans with a solid liquid lead tone for higher gain stuff. People online don't seem to like the revolution...what are your thoughts on it? I'm into a lot of 80's hard rock and steve vai lead stuff. I own an 89' american strat with the dimarzio air norton, chopper and AT set, an esp ltd ec-401 fr with dimarzio paf 36th anniversary pups, and a gibson sg with burstbucker pro 1&2

2. mguilherme87

If its anything like a Carvin V3 I might like it, had one of those a while back

3. mguilherme87

I’ve also received an offer for a Blackstar HT Club-40 combo

4. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I wouldn't do either of those deals. Krank amps are terrible, and I can't say I was impressed by the HT series amps. Sell the Orange instead and put the cash towards something else.

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I never tried one. I remember when they came out, Krank got hammered for making false reviews of how great it was. I think that rubbed people the wrong way, myself included. I might check the Revolution out just to see what it sounds like, as it should be quite a bit more versatile than the Orange.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  6. mguilherme87

Ended up with the Blackstar HT Club 40 1x12 combo. This thing is a spectacular backup for the EVH 5150iii 50w. I could argue that the cleans are better honestly....but I havent A/B'd them yet. It could use a speaker upgrade and maybe a tube swap in V1

DudeManBrother likes this.
  7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Definitely gives you a different tonal variety to draw from vs the 5153. I thought it captured the classic Marshall vibe on the vintage mode (or whatever it’s called) when I played one. I really wanted a Creamback or GT75 in that cabinet to kill some fizz without making the tone boxy by neutering the treble.

That is a good idea to swap that speaker and probably both pre amp tubes. You could do the tried and true Sovtek 12ax7LPS for the Phase Inverter and either a nice Tung Sol RI for V1 or even a premiere graded Shuguang in the form of a Ruby 12ax7 HG+ or TAD 7025. Maybe even a good candidate for the Mullard CV4004 reissue.

I’d be real tempted to grab some pine and build a new head shell for that amp and just use a better quality speaker cab all together. Those glue soaked particle board cabinets sounds like shit and are unnecessarily heavy. I’d even consider just pulling the speaker from the thing period to shave some weight.

But whatever you do (or don’t) I hope you enjoy it! It’s always nice to have an EL34 amp around for another flavor.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  8. mguilherme87

Thank you! I definitely agree with all of the above. Im thinking of trying a Celestion G12h30 that my uncle has lying around, and possible an EH tube in V1 or maybe a 5751 somewhere if I decide to trim down some gain

DudeManBrother likes this.
  9. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Meh, I wouldn't say Krank amps are terrible. I have not heard them all but I have heard some and one guys local band I watched had some of the best live tones I have ever heard and he had some type of Krank.

I would try it out and see if you like it. Financially I would say it would be a fair trade straight up.

I would not add any pedals to a chopped up combo that nobody wants. You can get the real thing yourself for probably the same price used. But you might like the tones, would just have to play it and see.