Is there anything permanent you can put on your frets that'll work if you filed them down too low?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by tabqwerty, May 6, 2018.

1. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Fret On! Apply directly to the fretboard!
    Fret On! Apply directly to the fretboard!

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I'm embarrassed that I watch enough TV to instantly get that joke!

OP, you still reading the thread? Can you give us an idea of how much lower that fret is than the others?

The906 likes this.
  3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The only way I know to add metal on top of an existing metal in really fine layers is laser sintering. However, that's a lot more expensive than just replacing a single fret and levelling everything after that. Had to get that done for my wife's platinum wedding ring and boy, did I leave some money on the table. Could've almost bought a new one, but these jeweller guys know the girls don't WANT a new one... :flame:

NateFalcon likes this.
  4. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

All together now:

NateFalcon and Hollowway like this.
  5. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

and this ladies and gentlemen is why you should always have patience...

tabqwerty likes this.
  6. tabqwerty

tabqwerty SS.org Regular

I'm going to try it either way. Thank you.

Hollowway likes this.
  7. Hollowway

Keep us posted!

tabqwerty likes this.
  8. tabqwerty

tabqwerty SS.org Regular

Is there an exact method on how to do it? Where do you slide the blade under, the edges/ends or in the middle of the fretboard? I filed each of them down toward the center of the fret.

9. tabqwerty

tabqwerty SS.org Regular

Is there an exact method on how to do it? Where do you slide the blade under, the edges/ends or in the middle of the fretboard? I filed each of them down toward the center of the fret.

10. Hollowway

The trick is to get under the edge of it, and it should lift as you push the blade in. Try just using a flat razor, and see if you can get under the edge there.

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Seems like a great way to unseat a fret, which is typically a bad, bad thing. :2c:

Hollowway likes this.
  12. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I don't think that guy knows how to cook.

13. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

for a chemist you sure do suck as a cook

14. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Same here. I've tried it for a couple automotive applications and it's never held up. Friends have had similar experiences to mine.

I'm convinced it's garbage and all the amazing stories on the packaging are outright lies. :lol:

15. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

I was joking about JB weld...that shit isn’t good for anything!

16. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

That's not totally true. I used JB Weld on the gear case of a EX500. I got the bike for really cheap when I was stationed in San Diego. The previous owner dropped the bike and broke the case with the rear brake lever. I used that stuff to patch the hole so it didn't leak and rode it. Was still patched and being rode a couple years later after I sold it.

17. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

It has its place...like bubblegum in diet. I’m just an advocate for fixing things the correct way and ANY time JB Weld is being used it’s to avoid a proper fix

18. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

It takes skill. You need a work bench.

1. Use a soldering iron sparingly to heat the fret and melt the glue if there is any so it won't take any wood with it when you pull it.
    2. You need a pair of fret extractors to pull them out. Heat and pull them gently and slowly out. It they aren't moving try a little more heat but you're just melting the glue so doesn't have burn the crap out of it.
    3. Stew mac has stuff that will stabilize the next. you need to use a straightedge to make sure the board is straight. Be careful with the trus rod. small quarter turns just a couple.
    4. Use your straightedge to make sure it's straight all the way across, but don't drive yourself crazy because putting the frets in will change it a little and you'll have to do it again anyway
    5. take some 0000 grade steal wool and clean the garbage off the board.
    6. get the feeling gauges, and the notched straight edge
    7. get the video and measuring tools to make sure the raidus of the frets are right\
    8. you probably won't need the tool for the cutting the slots much since it's a refret. but you might want to use it sparingly very very sparingly! just to clean out the gunk and the fret bonds in the slot
    9. a little dot of glue after the fret is ready
    And after all that shit you're halfway done. This guy shows it the best I think.

Use the big long block to get them level once you have them installed and the glue has set. Use the fret crowner to put the shape on them. You're still going to have to do some hand filing Be very careful and slow. In fact do the whole thing stupidly slow. The slower you go the less you'll fuck it up. Get all the sharp edges off the sides of the neck. The steel wool is really good for taking out small scratches and shining them up. It's surprising.

You can tap them a little with a plastic head hammer if you have one that's buzzing. Tap the next one up incredibly lightly.

I would say just load up at stew mac and go for it. Go slow. Watch the videos. They're already fudged. Worst case scenario you have to take it in and get it done by a pro. But it's costly and they don't always do it right. I had buzz and had mine refretted. Still buzzing. I take it back and they recommend a fret dressing. Fucking dicks! You just refretted it. That was the last time. Never again.

Lastly adjust the intonation so the fretted 12 th fret matches the 12 fret harmonic.

The more of them you do the better you'll get and pretty soon you'll be doing everyone's refrets. Because it's a pain. And don't even bother if you don't have a garage or work shop. You need elbow room.

Good luck. I just got done with a scallop and I didn't go deep enough. So guess what I get to do? The whole thing over. But when it's done it will play better. The work bench is so important. :(

You might want to check the neck with the notched straight edge first. Straighten it. Then use the block and crown them. And file the edges and do the intonations. That's basically a fret dressing. I'm not a pro. Probably left a lot out but a fret change or dress is something you can do with the right tools and a good work space and patience. Good luck!

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Also if you have one or two frets that are hosed and everything is cool you can just replace those. You don't have to the whole board. Just make sure it's the same guage fret wire.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    tabqwerty likes this.
  19. Hollowway

Yeah, I have no idea how much it needs to be lifted, and if it's substantial, he's just half way to refretting that one. If it's just a hair, it could do the trick. It worked for me, but mine was pounded into the fretboard by taking a spill. Just every so slightly, though.

20. Frosty the Snowperson

Frosty the Snowperson Weirdo

When I took my guitar, at first, the 14th fret was too low. So, playing the 14th fret sounds like playing the 15th fret, but not pressing down with enough force. I took the guitar to a guitar repair shop and they fixed it for me by leveling all of the frets.