Is There a Dimarzio That Sounds like a Duncan Distortion?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by maggotspawn, Aug 12, 2017.

1. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

Specifically for a 7 string looking for a Dimarzio that sounds like a Seymour Duncan Distortion.
    It will be going in the bridge. Right now I have SD Distortions in the bridge of my RG7420's.
    I have Dimarzio PAF 7's in the neck. Looking for a better match between the bridge and neck pickups.
    I should just get a Duncan Distortion 7 for the neck, but pretty significant modification is needed to get them into these Ibbys, and I'm feeling lazy.

TL;DR Is there a Dimarzio that sounds like a Duncan Distortion?

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Not really but the DActivator may be close. What modifications are needed?

3. maggotspawn

My RG7420's have shallow routes. When I put SD Distortion 7's in the bridge, I had to bend the legs of the mounting tabs up flush with the base plate of the pickups. Then cut and grind new mounting tabs and redrill them. They are too tall otherwise. It's a PITA and really easy to fuck the pickup up if you aren't careful.

4. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

D-Activator is a great pickup, slightly more compressed than most (kinda like an EMG 81), really tight with nice upper mids like the Distortion.

5. maggotspawn

I thought about Deactivators, but am leaning towards the Crunchlab if I go DiMarzio.
    I should quit being a wimp and just get SD Distortion 7's for the neck and mod them to fit.

6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The Crunchlab is not a bad PU, but it doesn't really sound similar to a Seymour Distortion. Titan has a similar bite with a little more low end.

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Not really what you're asking for, but if you have access to a power drill and a large drill bit, you could just drill some shallow holes in the pickup cavity where the tabs are, so they have somewhere to go.

I almost went this route when I put a Lundgren in my Schecter as it is a very thick pickup with tabs that are even lower, but luckily screwed flat down to the guitar body turned out to be just about the right height.

You may then run into depth problems with the pole screws out the back, depending on how long they are. You'd either have to do the same thing again to accommodate them, or cut them shorter, or just buy shorter replacements.

8. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

D'Activators have a much more shrill high end (to my ears) than a Duncan Distortion. The Titans lack low-mid punch by comparison. The Evolution 7 is the closest I have heard, but I have not spent much time with the Dimarzio Super Distortion.

The Evo 7 isn't exactly a Duncan Distortion, but it is the closest I have heard.

Reference: I use a Distortion TB-6 bridge in one guitar, SH-6n in another guitar, and Titan 7 set in another.