Is musical creativity something that comes naturally?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by will_shred, Feb 5, 2019.

1. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

There's only one EDM song. :lol:

sharedEQ likes this.
  2. LordAgni

LordAgni SS.org Regular

I am not sure about creative skill is a innate aptitude or you are developing and accumulating through creative experience process , I don`t know and I donĀ“t mind ...
    But I am 100% sure that this is innate or adquired creative skill come out and emerge from your subconscious mind , I think that it`s a very important point to know

3. bensjjjammin

bensjjjammin SS.org Regular

Im not good with explaining, but ill try chiming in. When it comes to composing songs and feeling proud of it, I think you should be really honest about it and have discipline. Lots of trials and errors, experimenting, maybe ask questions to yourself after a couple riffs recorded, should it be an aggressive riff here, or mellower, should there be a synth or piano line somewhere, any other instruments, or should it start with a bass line first, or drum riff first for intro, should drums be syncopating the riff more or more in the pocket. i think having the idea in your head first by humming it helps. Picking up a bass, drums, and simply creating on something else other than your guitar. Knowing your DAW and setup somewhat to be able to record easily is great so less obstacles when inspiration strikes. the more you record and find ways to hear what you really like takes time and effort. Make sure you listen to music that excites you to easily feel inspired. Jamming with musicians at same level or better than you is one way. maybe when learning covers of yours favorite tunes you can analyze what other instruments are doing. attention to detail. sometimes drums can change the feeling of any riff, and playing with kick and snare at different spots if youre programming drums

couverdure likes this.
  4. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Its a "left brain", "right brain" kind of situation.

Have you ever noticed that the most technically proficient players are almost always the "least creative"?

People's minds work very differently. To someone who is completely left brained, they have no problem learning phrases, songs, repeating them, memorizing them and being an all around good boy.

To someone who is right brained, those activities makes one claw his eyes out! boredom! Need to do something new and unique! Arrggggh!

If someone is essentially an encyclopedia of musical knowledge and vocabulary, that tells me something about how their mind works. Yes, I'd say creativity is more difficult for these people.

However, the vast majority of "successful" musicians are the left brained type, who can learn what is expected and show up on time. Maybe they aren't writing amazing songs, but does it really matter these days?

Classical musicians, a whole school of music based around reproducing music on a written page, like highly trained typists. Creativity not required. You think those guys working high profile gigs in backing bands, studio musicians, etc.. need any creativity? No way. The majority of working musicians realize they have zero creativity and they are fine with that.. all the way to the bank.

There are a ton of tangible benefits to being solely left brained, and most people get very far in life without an ounce of creativity. Occasionally questioning one's artistic value is a side effect of being this way. Just be thankful that every time you sit down to learn your parts, that creative voice is not pulling you in a million directions.

budda likes this.
  5. AirForbes1

AirForbes1 SS.org Regular

This is an interesting thread.

I think that creativity comes naturally to some people. For everyone else, they have to work at it.

Personally, I have 0 creativity. I play guitar much like a piano player, I play other people's compositions (albeit poorly).

You have all the technique and the theory in your locker that you need. Maybe you just need to find a writing process that works for you? Start simple and work your way up, maybe? You have all the background to help you progress everything and a broad range of musical tastes that you surely have an idea of what you like and why you like it.

TLDR: I think that it's work for most guitarists. I think you're capable of it and I'd guess that you just need to find a writing process that works for you.

6. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Incorrect, the "left brain vs. right brain" myth is bullshit: https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/left-brained-v-right-brained-people-is-a-total-myt.html

7. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Its a way to conceptualize it, even if it isn't scientifically factual.

Its impossible to be good at everything. A power lifter who is adapted to lifting heavy weights isn't going to run a four minute mile.

The brain is the same way. Some people have a lumbering hulk of a brain. Others a skinny bird brain.

Someone who is comfortable learning and perfecting parts that other people wrote for them develops a way of thinking that reinforces that way in the future. And its to the exclusion of having a brain that fires on all cylinders and sees the world in a million shades. (That guy is too distracted by all the stimuli to ever become an encyclopedia.)

Its impossible to be everything, or haven't you learned that lesson yet?

8. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Tell that to Mozart or Beethoven, both of whom were noted for being excellent technical players in addition to being brilliant composers.

9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Cool, but it's still not common :lol:

SlamLiguez and sharedEQ like this.
  10. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

So tell it to Trey Azathoth, Bob Vigna, Gene Palubicki, Antti Boman, Dan Mongrain, or Luc Lemay?

TBH, I'm having a harder time thinking of really great songwriters who aren't also, at the very least, damn solid players. Finding great players who can also write well seems a lot easier; the "oh, I don't play well because I'm creative" or "oh, I can't write because I have knowledge and technique" is just a bullshit cop-out to avoid putting in the work.

11. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

There are a ton more top hits by people who are middling/poor musicians by people who are highly trained. If this wasn't true, the vast majority of top hits would be written (casually) by musicians trained at conservatory.

Some left brained people eventually learn the "craft" of how to write songs, but its a mechanical process.

There is a difference between hearing chord progressions/melodies and being guided by your inner ear vs asking "what would sound good here?" and then scanning your internal catalog of ideas to find a fit.

12. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Most top 100 hits these days are written by one of two Swedish guys, one of whom has a degree in music and was the lead guitarist in SNL's house band for years, the other of whom was an accomplished producer/audio engineer.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

citation needed

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

No, I have not noticed this. What I HAVE noticed is that the more technically proficient players have more tools to work with and therefor produce more varied results. Some people would interpret that result as being MORE creative.

People spend too much time trying to classify things and put the world into neat little boxes as if that's going to solve anything. You are not one thing or another, creative or not, left or right brained, smart or strong, etc. You can be any combination or variation of those things, then change and become something else. People are dynamic and malleable. There is no "I am not a creative type therefor I cannot do this". Put the effort in. Did you create something? Then you are creative in that moment. Didn't like the result? Then try again, maybe you'll like it next time. Or don't. Or try a different process. It's not rocket science. Unless you want to try rocket science, then go do that. If you want to create something then go create something.

The only difference between "creative types" and "non creative types" is that the creative types are creating things.

Cynicanal likes this.
  15. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I think you can find examples of people who are good both at creating things and at doing technical things as well as examples of people who are only good at one or the other. And I don't think it's mostly about innate ability, but more about incentive and time. We all have a finite amount of time in this world and we have to make decisions about how to use that time. There's a lot of things I wish I was better at, but I have to prioritize and do the things that matter most to me.

16. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

@Randy What's the book? Interested in checking it out.

17. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

18. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

budda, Konfyouzd and Eptaceros like this.
  19. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Awesome, thanks!

20. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd certainly uncertain Contributor

I do this a lot. And it drives me crazy. There's always something from version x that I can just never recreate. But each time I rewrite them, certain songs seem to improve as a whole significantly.

Consequently this means I play a lot of the same riffs over and over and over and over again like a crazy man. I recently invested in a loop pedal and a practice amp with an effects loop so that I can hopefully get a bit more done with layers.

I have found that, although I can jam with myself using my DAW while also recording a song, I like the organic feel of composing with a looper then taking that "in the moment" composition and listening to it over and over and refining it before recording. I've written some of my favorite songs that way.

budda likes this.