Is anyone on here an actual drummer?

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Nour Ayasso, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob Afraid, probably

2. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Nice playing, really like the sound of your snare too. :yesway:

3. Peralta

Peralta SS.org Regular

Me, been playing for 30 years almost. My main instrument. The only reason why I started playing guitar is because I wanted to have credibility building them, I also didn't want to rely on anyone else to play it for my own music.

I've had to change how I play as I now have a left foot that doesn't work too well. Basically, I'm all about Bonham style single bass playing these days.

Here is my latest track if interested.

https://soundcloud.com/brad-cofield/toads-of-christ-chuck-the-cat

4. danielcalderon

danielcalderon SS.org Regular

I'm a drummer. Can't play guitar.

5. Soya

Soya Ghost Contributor

Yeah I play drums.

Tama starclassic all bubinga
    Custom Joshua tree percussion zebrawood snare.
    Pearl hardware and demon drive pedals
    Array of Meinl byzance cymbals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

those cymbals look almost too good to smack with a bit of wood at high velocity

almost

7. Soya

Soya Ghost Contributor

They're quite lovely, I've been wanting to add a few more but they're just so damn expensive.

8. prlgmnr

I currently just have hat, ride, crash so I'm thinking it's time to add a 2nd crash, maybe a splah and a china. I'm just about to move my kit outside to a bigger room so that helps.

9. Soya

Soya Ghost Contributor

Oh definitely need at least a 2nd crash and a china. Even in my Irish punk band I used hats, ride, 2 crashes and China, it's like my bare minimum heh.

10. prlgmnr

When I got my drumkit I was all for playing jazz so started out with a pretty minimal kit.

But it wasn't long before I gave into the temptation of the double pedal and the blastbeat so the obvious next step is more cymbals.

Within reason though, I'm not a fan of this thing where you have 20+ cymbals and hit a different one to accent every single part of a riff until the very concept of an accent loses all meaning and the song is lost in a wash of high end static. But that might just be me.

11. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

I had to switch to drums once, when our band's drummer quit. We taught one of our friends/fans the guitar riffs and I sold him my guitar and rig to buy myself a drum kit. I completely quit playing the guitar for about a year, so that I could learn all the rudiments and fundamentals that I could handle, I knew I had big shoes to fill, we were a technical death metal band (Neomortem) and although I already knew how to play the drums from previous sporadic fooling around on other people's kits, I felt that now I was simply a drum kit owner, not a REAL drummer. I spent a couple of years building up my drumming, I practiced snare rudiments, I practiced along to a metronome, I played boring easy beats (and struggled with them) and I learned, most importantly, to learn to reserve my energy, and not to wear myself out playing drums. Because double bass and blast beats, were extremely difficult to do for the full 8 measures, it was almost impossible to get to the end if I was playing as hard and fast as I could, using up all my energy and pushing myself to the limit in order to pull off the blast beat or steady double bass consistently.

I eventually started playing the guitar again, sporadically, as if the two instruments had switched places in my life. And now I never play the drums anymore, I sold them to my best friend and bought a bunch of guitar stuff with the money...I suck at the drums when/if I do try, and I feel like I would need at least a solid 6 months-1 year of daily practice to get back to where I used to be, as a drummer. These days, when I record songs, I use old drum recordings that I have saved on my computer from when I was drumming. I chop them up, edit, rearrange, loop, and basically "program" all my beats, but I am using recordings and samples that I took before I sold my drum kit and bought guitar stuff with the money, I have dedicated myself to guitar again. I also do repairs, customizations, mods, ect, and I spend a lot of money on Stewart MacDonald.

But for a time there, 5 or 6 years, I was a real drummer, I ended up playing in 3 separate death metal bands, recorded some demos, played some gigs, and I took great pride in the fact that I really did it, I abandoned the guitar completely and ended up surpassing the drummer who I had replaced, according to the man himself! A guy who is ten years my senior, played Tama drums exclusively, was on the drum line in the high school band, and had taught me most if not all of the rudiments and fundamentals that I learned in the first place. I always looked up to him and I thought he was like, this amazing death metal double bass king so I couldn't believe that he really thought that I had surpassed him. But I suppose that in order to fill his shoes, that's exactly what I ended up doing, at least for a few years anyways.

Here is a video that has me drumming on it, and it has some entertaining lyrics too.

boozeislove likes this.
  12. DippedInEvil

DippedInEvil SS.org Regular

I am currently the drummer of Hamilton based Profaner which got to play Wacken festival last year and also the Toronto based Devouring Saturn

13. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I happen to be a drummer too as well even though I probably excel more in drums than I do guitar but if I'm recording myself, I'm lucky I don't need to look all over the world for a session drummer.

14. JoshuaRichard

JoshuaRichard SS.org Regular

Hey there, I'm a drummer from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I'm in a band and I recently bought a clear acrylic drum kit from Pearl - the Pearl Crystal Beat. It sounds wicked! Also heavily a Sabian guy. I've been using Sabian cymbals for about 5 or 6 years now, and my arsenal has only improved since my first set of SBR cymbals.

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Keep banging heads. :)

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The drummer for one of the bands I'm in quit a few months ago, so I've been filling in. Turns out I'm not too bad at it. Actually have been really enjoying setting up my own kit in the jam room and being able to just go there and play whenever I feel like - a huge improvement over trying to jam "quietly" in my apartment.

16. drumwerks

drumwerks SS.org Regular