Is 28,625 acceptable for a 9-string guitar?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Xfing, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Xfing

Xfing Member

I've ben eyeing Legator Pendulum 92528 after realizing the undoubted benefits of the multi-scale design. Previously I wanted the Septor 930, but I realized a 30" scale might not be the most desirable for the highest strings, making them very stiff and not susceptible to bends.

Compared to guitars from bigger manufacturers such as Ibanez and Schecter who have their 9-stringers at a 28" scale, is 28.625" a good compromise? I'm very tempted by that guitar having only the standard, 25,5" scale for the top string, but I can't help but worry about the bottom one's elasticity (which is pretty much guaranteed by a 30" scale).

What could I do with either of these guitars to make them more versatile? Would replacing the bottom .90 string on the 92528 with a thicker one, like say, a .110 improve its tension and tone? Would getting super thick strings overall for the 930, like starting with a .012 on the high E make it easier to bend on, considering the scale length? Thx in advance for the advice

2. Xfing

Xfing Member

I checked D'Addario's tension calculator and actually it seems that with appropriate string gauges you can get just the right string tension all across the fretboard withh all strings. It goes something like:
    upload_2019-2-2_3-49-27.png
    So yeah, 15.2 is still nowhere near floppy. I probably have my 6th string in my 6 string strat at a similar tension, since I'm using super thin strings. I'm no longer worried about being able to bend on the higher strings actually :D

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

As you get longer in length, you need to increase the tension to keep the feel the same. It's why bass strings have tremendously higher tension at 34". 15 lbs at 30" is going to feel way floppier than 15 lbs at 25.5". Because of that, my 30" instruments have much higher tension on the low strings.

I assume you're talking about Agiles, not Legators, based on the model names. So have you considered a multiscale model? For me, a 9 string is ideal at 27-30". And you can get those from Rondo.

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I have two Interceptor 930s. I use an 8-42 for the standard tuning part of it and have no problems with full-step bends. Never really attempted or had a use for more than that. I would probably go for a higher gauge for the C# string than 90, though. Probably at least 100

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

6. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Not sure if 9 strings are acceptable as it is. :lol:

7. Xfing

Xfing Member

Yeah, Legators are back to custom-only as far as 9 strings are concerned. I'd love a 27-30" Agile, but alas, they don't have ones like that in stock for 9 stringers at the moment. There's only 25,5"-28.625", which makes me concerned about the proper tension of the lowest string. Simulations only show like ~13 lbs, which is kinda floppy I think. Then again, perhaps not. A .100 or even .110 would definitely be necessary with such a scale length, probably making the sound way muddier.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  8. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

seems expensive but it's your money

9. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Surely you mean thin strings starting on a .008 for high E? Thicker strings have higher tension.
    Not the only reason, in addition to raising tension to preserve feel on a longer scale, basses also just have much higher tension anyway, a kind of carry-over from the contrabasses they are an electric version of. Basses often use 40-50lbs but function fine at 30lbs.
    Wait for stock or contact and request one?

For the C# i highly recommend 30", even 34" is barely long enough for C#1.

10. Xfing

Xfing Member

Aready ordered a regular Septor 930. Supposedly bends are no problem, so I'll just take it as it comes and adjust to it. But yeah, if I'm ever getting a bass, it's going to be a multiscale for sure.

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Yeah good shout. Not worth sacrificing reasonable low end for more pleasant trebles. There are basically two crowds on this. Those that will use loose, thin strings, barely increasing in gauge when they downtune. They get a bright tone due to the string gauge and are happy with it for open string djenting for lack of a better term. But if you want it to function anything like the rest of the guitar, with solid pitch and fretting ability 30"+ and a decent gauge like 100 is essential. Doing that on a short guitar just gets muddy. I think the 100-110 range is quite good on 30"

You can expect to bend the high E one semitone safely, whatever gauge you choose based on feel (I recommend 008). The other trebles are not limited at all. Should you tune the high E down to Eb or D for other tunings, it also removes this bend limitation

12. Xfing

Xfing Member

Well, one guy in my thread about Legators and Agiles says he's been able to bend whole steps on a 0.08 for a whole year, so it's sounding quite encouraging :D

13. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

I found an old man lost in the extended range section. :lol:

14. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I play Drop D (one octave lower) on a 30" with about 8 lbs of thension on the lowest string.
    The lowest string is a .059.

It actually is kinda floppy but it is totally okay for me as I never play chords on the lowest string.
    Single notes sound very good. Chords sound awfully out of tune.

I once tried .90s for the lowest string but that made the guitar sound like a bass.
    Didn't like it at all.
    Chords were in tune but the tone had no attack and was very dull and weak.

So it highly depends on what you're going to play on this guitar.
    Versatility is a very tough goal to reach with such low tunings. Versatility means compromises.

If you only have one single guitar I would advise to choose the biggest scale length as possible and then look for the appropiate strings/tension.
    Otherwise I would advise to screw versatility and go for two (or even more) less versatile guitars.

15. GunpointMetal

Do you have any recordings of your octave-down D string. Just from how you describe it, I'm guessing every note you play on that goes way sharp when you hit it, otherwise your chords would be in tune. In "double drop A" I can still play chords in tune, but they're not clear-sounding and that's with ~16lbs of tension.

16. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Yes I have.
    I can upload something for you tonite.

When I pick very carfully the note doesn't go sharp too much. At least it is subtle enough to play power chords. Full Chords are a mess though.
    When I hit the string hard, it goes way sharp. I often do this intentionally with single notes.

Just to be clear: I use this guitar and tuning only for some downtempo black-tongue-style deathcore. This is nothing I would use or advise for "normal" death metal recordings.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    GunpointMetal likes this.
  17. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Don't make me take off my belt!

Djentlover666 and GXPO like this.
  18. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

the right question is: Is a 9 string guitar acceptable?!? :lol:

19. GunpointMetal

Why would that even be a question?