Ibanez SR675 control settings.

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by BlasphemyMadeFlesh, Jun 24, 2018.

1. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Ibanez RG752CBM

Hey guys I just scored a Ibanez SR675SKF in a gear trade, it's an awesome bass.
    I need a bass so I can finish demos of songs that I am recording. I need that low end.
    I'm primarily a guitar player. I've got to admit I'm stumped.
    I don't know how I should set the controls for a good metal sound or a good clean sound.
    What settings on the tone controls should I go for?
    [​IMG]

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Volume is obviously going to be your overall signal strength, just like the one on your passive guitar. The difference is that the preamp can deliver more output, so if your signal is a little too "hot" as in its causing the front end of the amp to distort slightly, roll it back a hair.

Balance is your pickup selector. Roll it clockwise for the neck pickup and counterclockwise for bridge. Everywhere in the middle is a blend of the two. You should find a slight bump on the controls rotation, that's the center detent where both pickups are even.

The Bass, Mid and Treble are your adjustable three band EQ. They also have center detents. So at center they're neither boosting or cutting the frequency. Start there. If you need a little more bass, turn it clockwise. Need less bass, turn it counterclockwise. Same with the other two.

The mid switch adjusts the mid frequency. Play around with it, it's a great way to make a quick change in tone, for instance going from finger style to slap.

There no right or wrong settings, it's all to taste.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

leave the balance in the middle position for starts. Going to the neck pickup and your bass would sound more like a "P bass"-ish, roll it off to the bridge and it would be more like a "Stingray"-ish its all personal prefference and also if you play with pick or fingers. What sounds good by itself doesnt mean it would be best on a mix with guitars. Same with your guitars, roll off soome of their low end now that you have a bass

leave the EQ on the middle notch position, so technically the EQ is not doing anything, as you can boost/cut with it. The start playing with the knobs and see what sounds best to you. And as always, less is more. ITs all personal prefference and theres no secret formula

4. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Lots of good points in this thread already. I’d add that outboard or DAW based EQs are generally more flexible and often sound better than onboard preamps. I find setting the pre flat or going passive, dialing in the pickup blend to taste, and EQing in post works best for me when going direct. That way you’re not locked in to most of your settings and can change almost anything after the fact.

Now if you’re driving a real amp or pedals during tracking, then your EQ will change how their gain stages respond. In that case ignore my above advice.