Ibanez S series 7 string guitar questions.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by elkoki, Jun 22, 2018.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Are there any S series owners on here who can give me their opinions about these guitars? I'm looking to get a new 7 string, and the S series 7 strings look interesting. Unfortunately I have not been able to find many Youtube videos with them, most of them are low quality videos too.

Hows the fret work? Do they sound good? Are they comfortable? I've had a few S series 6 string guitars, some I liked others I felt lacked "fullness" in their sound for a lack of a better term. Do they lack anything in their tone from the thin bodies?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Which S7?

I don't know if there are any blanket answers to your questions regarding ALL S series guitars. Obviously a nicer S series guitar is going to be nicer than a cheaper one. :shrug:

I've spent some time with an S7420 (an old non-24-fret one), and it was a really solid guitar. The stock pickups were okay-ish (in the model I demo'd at the store), but with a pair of Dimarzios, it sounded great (not sure which models, I only borrowed it for a short time). Everything else was really solid and comfy.

But there's also the 90's 540S7, which, well, good luck finding one of those if you have your heart set on it. Then there's the newer S7420 and the S7320...I'm not sure if there are others, aside from some minor variations of the other models.

If you want a thinner lighter guitar with a 25.5" scale and good ergonomics, but you don't mind swapping the pickups, maybe it's the right choice. If you want something heavier and beefier, maybe go with something else.

3. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Yeah I guess I should've narrowed my question down a little. Well I guess any of the more common ones.. I'm curious about the S7521,S7421, S7420,S7320... These are all roughly the same price range and they're made in Indonesia... Aren't some 26'5? scale? Doesn't really matter if not...

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've got an S7420 (the newer one) with Dimarzios in it (CL/LF). I like the neck, I like the S body shape, fretwork was fine for that price point, I developed a weird buzz high up but this obviously went away when I had it plekked and setup by a pro. The thing I *don't* like about it is that the trem has a weird rattle in it that I haven't been able to either narrow down the cause, or fix it. The rattling noise was enough to get the guitar demoted to a backup, but I used it like that for a long time without it really bothering me much.

5. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Kinda off topic but since the S7420 comes with an Edge Zero, I'd almost bet money on the rattling coming from either the intonation screw or the trem arm locking nut being loose.

6. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I think the early ones had Lo Trs and the one he has has a ZR tremolo.

7. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I've got an S5527. Prestige made in Japan, the price on these used is reasonable. Usually around $1,000. It sounds really nice and punchy, the fretwork is great on it. I do find it to be my most comfortable player, the top contour is great. I certainly wouldn't say it is lacking any fullness to it's tone. It's fatter than my RG but still has an excellent punchy percussive sound to the pick attack. 20161024_105352.jpg

8. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

True that. The ZR still has the intonation screw and trem arm nut though, which are prone to loosening up over time.

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I had one of the MIJ S7420's from like '00 IIRC, and it was a great playing guitar. Nice frets/neck. Had the lo-trs bridge which I had blocked off.

Truly regret selling it and I'd probably get another one if I could.

I'm actually on the lookout for one of the S557's. It'd make a nice pair with my S2020x.

I say find one and go for it.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Gaaaah I almost bought one of these a while ago, but the seller backed out because of the CITES thing. Part of me still wants one.

11. Dumple Stilzkin

I really like my S5527 but I might end up selling it, an impulse buy that I couldn't really afford! If you find one, you'll certainly love it. There's not much for prestige S7's out there. The tone on them is really good for almost any style depending on the choice of pickups.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That's exactly why I wanted one. I was really comfortable with the S body shape and general vibe for a while, but wanted something that would be a significant upgrade from the 7420 I had.

13. Dumple Stilzkin

You really should try one out. All the comfort you expect but with a greatly noticable difference in feel. The edge feels better, stays in tune much better. When you play it, you will know the extra money is well worth it.

14. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I know there's a MIJ S7420 on eBay right now for $299, but i'm not really willing to buy it from that seller because it seems he/she isn't a guitar player and they can't really describe the condition. I tried messaging them a while back but they never answered. Not really willing to buy off a seller like that.

15. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

I noticed that one as well and had the same thoughts.

16. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

The intonation screw shouldn't loosen up - it has an O-ring underneath it for exactly that reason. I've never seen one come loose and I have two.

The arm holder is a bit of an issue, I'll admit, but it's not because of the trem arm nut. It's because the ZR arm holder is partially plastic. There are two solutions to this problem.

On my S7320, I bought a replacement ZR style arm assembly from a guy on youtube called doobiz, who had a machinist friend make some for him and sold off the extras. I doubt that he's got any left, but if you know a machinist and have the original assembly available, there's nothing wrong with the basic design - it's just made of too many pieces and the plastic one always fails. Make the whole thing out of one piece of metal instead and you'll have no problems. I haven't touched mine in 10 years.

On my S2170FW, I took the Ibanez arm assembly off and replaced it with a floyd rose arm holder. They drop right in and work exactly as you expect.

17. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

If you do decide to sell it, let me know. I really want one of those.

18. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

19. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Just to make sure, I'm talking about this fella here:
    356.jpg
    I don't know what it's like on the ZR but it does loosen up over time on my Edge Zero.

20. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Yeah, we're talking about the same thing.

Neither of my S series guitars have ever had that screw loosen unintentionally - the O ring acts like a spring washer or a nylock nut. Try replacing the O ring on yours with a softer compound one.