Ibanez RG2027x control layout?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Default_M, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Default_M

Default_M SS.org Regular

I bought one of these guitars today and only briefly got chance to try it, but I couldn't figure out the controls at all.

Could anyone please link me to a manual, or explain the different jacks, pots and switches etc?

The pot closest to me seems to sweep between having sound at 0, no sound in the middle of the sweep, and then sound again (or something like that). Does that seem right?
    I assume the piezo needs a battery so I'll be changing that out first thing.

2. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

[​IMG]

The little switch toggles between only piezo (all the way down) only magnetics (all the way towards neck) and a blend of both (middle), little black button swaps between the piezo/mag both coming through one output jacks or having them go to each individual jack (to send to separate amps). One knob for tone, one for mag volume and one for piezo volume. 5 way switch works only for magnetics in the same way most Ibanez do.

That's the stock controls. Being 2nd hand, it may have also had the KJG mod done which changes how the controls between may/piezo work.

The no sound issue could be a wonky pot, or just side effector no battery for the piezos.

Hope that helps.

odibrom likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

Congrats on that new (to you) guitar! These are stellar ones. Please DO NOT FORGET TO POST SOME PHOTOS.

As @TheKindred said, those are the general control layout. To be a little more specific, lets start by those jack outs: the lower one has mags or mixed signal, the upper one has only piezo signal. The output management is made with the black push/push button. IN/DOWN position means only lower jack is working = mixed output; OUT/UP means signals are separated and both jacks work. The closer pot to that button is for piezo volume when the button is OUT/UP, when IN/DOWN it works as a mixer IF the guitar has the KJG mod. If the guitar is stock or not modded with the JG thing, the pot simply has no work. Then, the pot closer to the bridge pickup works as mag volume (black button OUT/UP) or master volume (black button IN/DOWN). The 3rd pot is mag TONE only. The mini switch is, from factory an ON/ON type for Mag/Piezo. Doing a direct swapping with an ON/ON/ON is the KJG mod and allows for mag/mix/piezo. @SlipknotKoRnfan had some trouble doing this mod for there are 2 different ON/ON/ON switch types, being mirrored. He then mirrored the schematics and all was fine. The 5 way lever switch is a VLX91 super switch with the following functions from factory: Neck Serial, Neck Parallel, Neck Serial mixed with Bridge Serial (parallel mix), Inner coils parallel and Bridge Serial.

All piezo harness is LR Baggs branded, so if you have any problem with piezo elements or the preamp, give them a call. I have replaced the preamp in one of my guitars. The new preamp comes already wired up with a new ON/ON/ON switch, so... no need for that KJG mod.

Piezos elements are alternate phase from the Ibanez factory, identifiable by their output wire being black or white. This gives a wonky sound when mixing mags and Piezos (KJG mod is mandatory here) and giving a bit more power to the piezos using the piezo vol/mix pot. I managed to swap some saddles between my guitars and got all white and all black on each guitar (thread here: http://sevenstring.org/threads/twin-guitar-day.307998/) and that wonky sound is now gone. You can replace the piezo elements, have a call/email with LR Baggs (thread here: http://sevenstring.org/threads/ibanez-rg2027x-owners-little-help-please.302613/).

The preamp has a small slide ON/ON switch which works as piezo (or mags?) phase to be used WHEN MIXING signals. No need to try it without the KJG mod. Do be careful for I managed to break one, hence the need for a preamp replacement. Those are pretty fragile.

As that thread reads, I have 2 of these guitars since 2016, one of them bought new way back in 2001/2 and which has been my main ever since.

As for pickups, I found a great balance between DiMarzio's Blaze neck + Blaze Custom and Air Norton + D-Sonic (Air Norton with screw coil and D-Sonic with the bar coil facing neck). Pretty similar sounding, though with enough differences. I'm waiting at this moment for some made to measure pickups by a local builder to fit into one of mines, I've tried the first shot at it, but they needed a little tweaking. Sounded great though. As for pickup switching, I'm going with Neck Serial, Neck Outer Coil, Inner coils Serial mix, Bridge Outer coil and Bridge Serial. Works great and has a nice contrasting array of tones. The neck single mixed with piezos sounds heavenly for clean tones. Do try some dirt with piezos and or mixed combos, you'll enter in a new realm of textures for sure.

Last, I have never used the separate outputs except for circuitry testing. I'd need a complete new rig for that...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  4. Default_M

Default_M SS.org Regular

Thanks both, very helpful and I've got it worked out.

I've got the little black button pressed in, then the piezo is on in the down position of the silver toggle, and mags in the up.

The guitar is an absolute ruin at the minute. I just got it from eBay, it belonged to Buz McGrath who used it on the oncoming storm album by Unearth, then it looks like it's not been touched since!
    The pots are all crackly and everything is covered in a layer of corrosion, but I can sort it.

odibrom likes this.
  5. odibrom

odibrom .

Good to know. Please, post back your doings on the recovery of that guitar as well as PHOTOS!

6. Default_M

Default_M SS.org Regular

Is it possible to change the switch to a super switch? It looks like the current one has the piezo routed through it so I wasn't sure if it was a special type of switch needed.

7. odibrom

odibrom .

If it is so, then the guitar has been modded. These came with a VLX91 superswitch. As to my knowledge all guitar blade switches share the same screw spacing. One can swap them as one sees fit, either they're imperial or metric...

This to say that it will be fine a superswitch there.