Ibanez 450DX Purchase and Scammed by eBay

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by ibrg450dx08964, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ibrg450dx08964

ibrg450dx08964 SS.org Regular

Ok so I purchased an Ibanez 450DX guitar from a seller on eBay and didn't know that I got ripped off until I tore apart the guitar for modifications. I don't know if this is the right category to post this in, but since I'm going to post photos of my guitar I might as well tell the story. So I got the guitar, all seemed ok, setup was great, came in a cheap (non-Ibanez) case, but what can I expect for $400 right? Guitar was packed and shipped no issues, the guitar worked but I decided it needed the essential mods. New pickups, Floyd Bridge and more so I started pulling apart the guitar and noticed one of the screws holding down the Ibanez locking nut wasn't even screwed into the wood. That was only the beginning, but needless to say I'll never buy anything again from eBay because I truly believe the guitar had factory flaws and the Music Store owner didn't know this. I really can't place too much blame on eBay or the Store owner unless he knew he was buying 2nds or something or got some good deal for flawed closeouts I will never know.

Anyway I don't buy anything from eBay anymore too many headaches and not enough time, so I decided to make the repairs and upgrade the guitar myself. Here are my photos.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions this is an RF450DX

Attached Files:

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

...wait...so how were you scammed? :scratch:

Because the screw wasn't in all the way? :lol:

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I don't exactly understand the problem?
    if there was something wrong with the guitar you can get a refund or a discount?

4. ibrg450dx08964

ibrg450dx08964 SS.org Regular

Other issues included paint chips under the pickguard, poor attempt at shielding the cavity, cheap wire and bad components like the 5 way switch and input jack. I bought Ibanez guitars before from other places directly and never had issues, the one time I buy from eBay I get a problem but decided to keep it because it's more of a headache trying to get a seller to take a return on a $400 item then it is to just make the repairs. I knew the pickups were junk anyway, I knew I wanted the MadHatter Terminator system, so I decided to mod the guitar. I do like that Ibanez sets their action up perfect on these things for the customers though. I'll produce photos when it's finished and thank you for response. I'm new here and I'm just trying to show my guitar's progress.

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

:lol:

I still understand how you think you were scammed...:shrug:

USMarine75 likes this.
  6. diagrammatiks

i still don't get it.
    it's a 400 dollar guitars with a few finish flaws?
    11/10 confused.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

Literally nothing you described warrants the OMG I GOT SCAMMMED GUYSSS overreaction. Paint chips under the pickguard are irrelevant, cheap electronics are prevalent on even higher end ibanezes, and half assed shielding is extremely easy to fix. A scam would be if they did a bait and switch where they sell you a prestige rg and mail you a mikro or something along those lines.

USMarine75 and jemfloral like this.
  8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

One person's imperfect mods =/= scammed. They equal what you're currently stuck with, a headache getting it to the point of what you think is an acceptable product.

It's a $400 guitar, with an upgraded bridge + pickups, which is most likely worth the cost of the guitar itself, so the fact that there's some poor shielding and components just means the guy who did it cared more about it working than how well it worked.

This is like the equivalent of ordering a great tasting steak but it's marbling doesn't make it look as a pretty; if it's still functioning as it's intended purpose, it's not a scam, just not up to par with YOUR expectations.

9. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

So wait, the 400 dollar guitar you bought wasn't as nice as a 4000 dollar guitar? No way! Seriously, I'm sick if these people that pay very little for products but expect them to be way higher quality than the price they paid. Do you know why some guitars cost more than 400 bucks? Because they are nicer usually. That's how money works usually. I just honestly don't know what you expect for 4 bills dude.

10. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

After actually looking at the pics, I don't get it. Everything looks on the up and up. Seems uber drama queen to scream scam on something that is in no way a scam.

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

12. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I can only imagine the eBay correspondence tantrum/demands sent the seller’s way.

Like, the last guitar I bought was originally sold for $1800, a subsequent owner “upgraded” some stuff that included name-brand pickups, but then I bought it for $700 because it wasn’t mint-original. Then I parted out the upgrades on Reverb, replaced them with stuff from my parts box, and ended up only paying about $450 for the guitar. You can bet, if I ever have to sell, it’s being listed for more than $450.

This seems like a similar opportunity. But had a screw hole in the guitar needed an extra 30 seconds to add matchstick pieces for doweling? My tampon would have ignited!

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Looks better than what $450 gets you from Ibanez about 50% of the time currently. :lol:

14. diagrammatiks

i mean this guy joined just to post about this scam and then has never posted again.