Ibanez 2019 New Stuff

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Sogradde, Nov 6, 2018.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

2018: RG550 and RG570 (Technically released earlier, but 2018 was the first year of worldwide availability.)
    2016: UV Swirls
    2015: PS Series
    2014: No returns this year, too busy with the Uppercut models and a bunch of new MIJ Sigs.
    2013: Brought back MIJ Artist models.
    2012: No old stuff exactly, probably because this was the year J.Custom stuff came back to the US officially, but since there hadn't been any since 89' does that count? :lol:
    2011: Return of the AT100
    2010: Technically the return of MIJ RGAs, if you consider the modified shape.

There's more, but I think the point has been made. As much as Ibanez pushes new stuff, they often bring back something at least every other year.

2. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Nitpicky BS opinion here. Ibanez' line branding kinda sucks. It sort of comes off as "what the kids might like" as seen from a Boomer demographic. "prestige", "iron label", etc. They should also rebrand their "standard" to separate it more from the better/best stuff. Kind of like ESP maybe.
    Dots too, do something different than standard dots on the MIJ stuff. Anything ungaudy or just no inlays. Dots on a Wizard can stay on the revival models.

3. MaxOfMetal

I agree, they have way too many different "series". They should have stuck to the naming scheme from around 2011.

J.Custom - Best
    Prestige - Better and MIJ
    Premium - Good and Indo
    Standard - Basics
    GIO - Beginner

The offshoots from the core series just overly complicates things.

4. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I honestly like most of the Iron Labes from a design point of view. I tried many as well because I wanted to like them but what always kept me from buying was the quality.
    If they A: lowered the price to standard series levels or B: Produced Iron Labels in Japan, I'd buy some.

Ordacleaphobia and possumkiller like this.
  5. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

yeah, I don't mind the Iron labels one bit. There's several I'd take home. Just the "branding" I guess.

6. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I guarantee if they produced Iron Labels in Japan, they would sell like crazy. The iron labels have such good ideas but typically play like shit...

7. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I saw a guy with a Legator at the studio the other day. A well-marketed Iron Label could have saved him from his fate.

More seriously, I think Japanese Iron Labels would be great. They have features that the other lines don't touch and if the quality were up to par for the price tag they'd be an excellent option.

Hollowway and TheUnknownOne like this.
  8. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I was thinking in the lines of the more niche models like the Xiphos, baritone RG XLs, the RGA121, and RG2228.
    The RG550 has been reissued many times before with the previous latest one being Japan-only in 2013, the signature models' return were the result of the artists going back to Ibanez, and the swirl UVs were for the 25th anniversary of Passion and Warfare.

I can't think of a reason for Ibanez to reissue any of those first four models I mentioned unless there's a huge demand outside of SSO. The closest we'll get to having an RGA121 reissue is the JBBM20 sig, which is based on JB Brubaker's green/white RGA121. Maybe we could get a RG2228 reissue in 2022 or something since that would be fifteen years since the original launch of the mode.

9. MaxOfMetal

The point still stands, they do bring back models and motifs from previous years and decades, just look at all the anniversary reissue models they've done over the years.

But of course, they have to bring back stuff that's going to sell, especially if it's pricier MIJ models.

I miss the Xiphos and RG2228 as well, but I can see why they went away and aren't likely to come back. The only chance we have of niche stuff coming back is if a popular artist chooses them as a Sig.

10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I don't know if I know what a GREAT guitar feels like or something, but I have just much fun with my Iron Label as I do my LTD BK-600.

Boojakki likes this.
  11. Albake21

Which a MIJ Prestige would blow both the Iron Label and LTD out of the water.

12. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I mean, maybe, but for me either I don't notice the things you guys all talk about or it's just too small for me to consider. If a guitar sounds great and plays good enough for me and doesn't fret out or lose tuning on me, it's a good guitar.

Masoo2, couverdure, Lindmann and 2 others like this.
  13. Boojakki

Boojakki SS.org Regular

Well, personally I have more fun with my two recently acquired Iron Labels than I had with the three Prestiges I had before... Mostly because of the neck profiles. So... I happily buy another IL before I buy another Prestige. It's all personal preference of course.

[​IMG]

Afaic, both are killer guitars for the money. I can't wait to get the new gradiant colored FR...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    MikeH, Masoo2, couverdure and 3 others like this.
  14. Albake21

More power to you guys! Your wallets will definitely thank you.

mlp187 likes this.
  15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The one thing I credit Ibanez for is having realised their pickups aren't really what we want, and their outside brand pickup offering has been multiplied by a lot. That was my main peeve with the brand a few years ago. Sure, there always were a few models with DM/SDs, but nowadays you get much more choice.

And for some reason I want that gold RG......

Albake21 and Kaura like this.
  16. spork141

spork141 SS.org Regular

HAHAHA Black guitars with brown fretboards! I always wondered why Ibanez brass look at those prototypes and go....yeah....ship that!

Hollowway and Wolfhorsky like this.
  17. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

I know I shouldn't complain as long as they don't put the god-awful stock in-house pickups in their guitars but man, everytime they put out a guitar with HSH config, you already know that it's going to have Dimarzio Air Norton/True Velvet/Tone Zone combo. Just like that gold RG has, for example.

18. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I'm gonna contact Ibanez and ask which god do I have to prey to have stainless steel frets on the Prestige line.

19. MaxOfMetal

If it's such a big deal, get it refretted at some point. It'll probably be close in price to the upcharge they'd add to get them from factory or grab an Uppercut.

Ordacleaphobia, xzacx and AxeHappy like this.
  20. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I think some people (me included) don't really know where to go for a refret. I mean via internet I can find a luthier somewhere but I don't know how to tell if he's good or not. So a guitar that already comes with stainless steel frets would be more comfortable to me because then I don't have to search a luthier, all the other stuff like setups I can do myself.

mlp187, Zhysick and Bastian93 like this.