Ibanez 2018 models announced(teased) :O

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by lewis, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Iron Label has better woods, they use some sort of real mahogany species instead of shitty and overly light nato wood. Fretwork and finish is also one level up from standard. Is that related to quality or just specs, I think it's both.

2. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Gulag resident

My complaints with old sabers is that they are 22 fret, and I live by 24 frets. I'd kill for a newer saber, as I love the body shape, but the prices, even here in Japan, are outrageous, even on the used market. I can't justify buying either a newer one or older one...

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's what they want you to think.

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

That's not entirely true either. Iron Label still feels, sounds and plays better than most of the lower level Ibanez's. Just an opinion, even they're made in the same factory.

5. MaxOfMetal

It's entirely true. Ibanez wants you to believe that the Iron Labels are significantly better than the Standard models.

In reality, it's far too hit or miss. The materials aren't any better.

I'm as big an Ibanez fan as any, but the Iron Label models are still awfully spotty.

Xaios, AxeHappy and possumkiller like this.
  6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Ibanez never bothered to make solid color Prestige S’s with maple/ebony fretboards.

A few years back I was about to shell out for a purple doom burst S-7. Bought a wedding ring instead. Once I got around to being interested in my purchase again I realized how much more there was out there in the 1-1.6k range that I didn’t want to have to “settle” for just one color for $2k after taxes.

The line wasn’t ever fully fleshed out. And that’s why I personally never looked back. If the new AZ’s have a more comfortable neck shape than “hyper flat wizard stick” I may be into Ibanez again.

But imagine a white S with maple fretboard and black hardware. Would have been dope.

7. MaxOfMetal

They tried to position the Saber above the RG. Not gonna happen. Especially not so soon after the early 00's.

The market for fancy Ibanez guitars is very narrow, devoting a whole model to that niche was a very bad decision. Especially since that model was the Saber.

Maybe they'll try again in a few years.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I mean they had Herman Li rocking an S at the height of the band’s popularity. Where was a more regular Prestige for $1500 where I could pretend to be him? Nope just his $2.6k+ sig.

The premium ones at like $800 were just a bit too underwhelming.

I really hope we see more models with Wizard 3 necks. That should NOT be the “cheap-o” neck shape. It’s fantastically comfortable and just a bit rounder.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

The Saber (S) models are probably my fave shape from Ibanez, right behind the RGA. Like most everyone has said, I too am disappointed that they aren't doing well.
    If I had the cash I would have gone for those purple doom burst S Prestiges (hardtails) they had a year or so back. As others have also mentioned, the price of S series guitars in the prestige line-up is also quite high relative to RG's.

I don't think I've ever played a prestige S series but I have always found that the Standard's and Premium's have been always more consistent and built better than the average RG or other shape. The best Premium's I've laid my hands on have always been the S series ones, but it could just be me.

10. MaxOfMetal

The S5470 that Herman's EGEN18 was mostly based around sold for under $1500. :shrug:

It wasn't until three years later, in 2011 that the price settled around $1700 for the cheapest MIJ Saber. Still either the SOL or TKS S5470.

11. MatiasTolkki

With the rehashing of old models coming around, They need to make 24 fret 540R reissues.

Boojakki and odibrom like this.
  12. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I asked buddy at L&M to call Efkay for me, he just emailed me back:

Boo.

13. MaxOfMetal

Just grab one from Rich. That way you'll know it's a good one. :agreed:

AxeHappy and jwade like this.
  14. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

That's a really, really great idea!

15. odibrom

odibrom .

16. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Of the 5 or 6 iron labels I have had over the years, I haven't found that to be the case at all. Still the same crappy fretwork, same QC issues etc. The main difference is just the looks. Fancy looking veneer or adding some Gotoh tuners etc. The only difference I have noticed for the 2018 stuff that actually looks enticing is the gloss finishes and purple heart woods, it all depends on how they are priced though.

The iron labels are fine guitars but really the prices of them are just crazy imo. Those ones last year with the BKP were more then a 652/655 etc which is crazy, they don't even come with a case.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  17. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

For me Sabers could be fine with black hardware, no pickup frames and no body binding. The binding makes it look beefier. They are slim and flush so it should be highlighted by the design.

myrtorp likes this.
  18. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

Agreed, as far as I'm concerned, I tried a few of the RGAIX and RGDX Iron Label line in a guitar shop, and they felt really cheap construction-wise : woods were not sturdy at all, fretwork was okay at best (I even played on a RGAIX6 with "black paint" getting of from what is supposed to be an ebony fretboard !), finish was full of little imperfections, and sound was kinda meh... Comfort was okay though, and i'll grant them fancy finish options.

Big disappointment considering the price tag and what you can get from other brands like Shecter or LTD in the same ballpark, or even what the RG625FX was offering for a bit more cash.

19. MatiasTolkki

I havent touched an IR in forever (since the first year they were released). I was not entirely sold on them, considering they were just a bunch of black guitars with nothing that a regular MIJ Ibanez couldn't do. I dont even see why they keep them around anymore tbh.

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  20. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

I guess they sell well and this might be the line which generate the best commercial margins regarding the specs and the pricing

couverdure likes this.