Ibanez 1077XL vs Ibanez DCM100

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by soldierkahn, Jul 12, 2018.

1. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

Since Ive finally gotten myself sorted for six strings, im now looking back into getting a 7 again. When I think of what my dream 7 is, my gold standard would have to be the 1077xl. So anytime I look at or judge a 7, i always compare to it what always felt best to me. But once the DCM100 came out, it seemed like almost everything I ever wanted was put into one guitar (minus it being an RGA with a figured maple top, but I at least get Mahogany) but there are some significant differences between the two models. I was hoping someone on here has had experience with both of these guitars to help out with a comparison of the two.

The most important differences I note are the neck width (the XL was 48mm X 66mm, 19mm 21mm; the DCM was 48mm X 68mm, 19mm 21mm) but I dont know how significant that 2mm is in regards to the neck feel as a whole. They have the same radius 430mm which is perfect, and they both have the Edge LoPro, so the main difference is the reverse headstock, the shorter scale on the DCM, and the slighter wider neck. Im not worried about the difference in tone because if I were to go with the XL option, i would get a replacement body made of mahogany for it. My main concern is comparing the feel of their necks. Not to mention, its extremely easy to get my hands on a DCM but Ive gotta be patient for a XL to pop up on the verb. Im also not so concerned about the shorter scale of the DCM, because the lowest i ever tune is A standard, so having either 26.5 or 27, it doesnt make a significant difference IMO.

I assumed that the DCM neck would be identical to the RGD2127Z so Ive been to every Guitar Center and Sam Ash in San Diego and Los Angeles, CA but none of them had an RGD in stock for me to try. Anyone with experience with the two, your guidance would be appreciated.

2. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I’ve had them both, and actually two DCMs.

The DCM is like a tank. They were heavy and the necks felt large and round to me, particularly for an Ibanez. I liked it, but it’s way different than the XL neck, which feels significantly narrower and thinner.

The scale is someone noticeable. I doubt you’re notice in terms of reach, but IMHO you can tell with string tension. 9s on a 27” feel “normal” to me but a bit light on a 26.5”, which isn’t bad but something I can notice.

If I wanted an invincible work horse, I’d probably go with the DCM. The XL is more delicate feeling because of the slimmer, narrower neck and the lighter body.

If you’re planning to get a replacement body anyway, maybe look into the RGD? EDIT: oops, I see you’ve been trying to find one.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. soldierkahn

See, thats the kind of constructive feedback ive been looking for right there! Yeah, ive been running through a few options, it just seems that some are more financially wise than others but options ive been looking at are:

+ get a 1077XL and replace the body for mahog (this seems like my default position because if im always comparing things to an XL, why waste time on possibilities and just go for what you know will work)

+ get a DCM100, and risk not liking the neck on it for being too wide to tolerate (if im looking for the neck profile of an XL, im not going to find it here unless i sand it down. but even then, its still going to be wider which may still present it being uncomfortable.)

+ get an RGD2127Z, and risk again not liking the neck for the same reasons as the DCM, but also adding to the disappointment because of the ugly inlays and a considerably different feeling trem (comparing the edge zero to the edge lopro, i have found i HATE the feel of the edge zero and edge zero 2 and can only tolerate an Edge LoPro on 6 strings and I guarentee itll translate to the same hatred for the 7 string versions), it would also need a body replacement and pickup replacement.

Ive been totally fine with the wider necks on the newer 6 string RGs because it seems to make the neck/fingerboard feel so much more comfortable than the earlier ones. But when it comes to 7 string necks, my only experience was a 7620 (which I despised its neck, it wasnt a skunk stripe one), a 7420 with a skunk neck (2nd best feeling neck ever, it was a friend from the board from years ago when I did some mods on it for him.), an RG1077XL (still regret selling it), an RG7321, and an APEXII. So the only necks that have been comfortable to me were the XL and the 7420 since they were from the same time period and had almost matching rear profiles in my opinion, and every 7 neck ive tried after those 2 have been garbage. I was able to sand off the shoulders on my 7321 back when I had it and that helped a lot but it was still too wide.

Im starting to really think my safest option is waiting for a XL to pop up (one just hit reverb.com this week) and buy it, then get the replacement body made and call it done.

4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I'm going to be the devil and say:

Why not both?

Both are awesome guitars for different applications. And there is the rule of N+1, where N is the amount of guitars you currently have... ;)

soldierkahn likes this.
  5. soldierkahn

lol nice