I want opinions/help/tips on Vocal mixing

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by that short guy, Jul 2, 2018.

1. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

Title says it all really. I just did a song and while it probably is my best job so far, I still feel like there's something missing from the vocals. It could just be a simple thing like change my compression or eq but I don't know so I've come to ask you guys. Here's the clip for reference

https://soundcloud.com/user-435837604/gangsters-paradise-coolio-cover

2. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Well, I guess one thing that's missing from the vocals is melody :lol:

I'm just listening on a MBP so can't give super detailed feedback, but I think they sound ok from a compression/EQ perspective. What bothers me is that it sounds like there's a short bathroomy reverb on the vocals that I think needs to go. This could of course be the natural room bleed into the vocal mic being compressed so much that it's audible, in which case I'd say fix your recording space and record it again. During the clean section, this is a really subjective opinion but double-tracking vocals when your intonation and timing isn't that great, can easily sound like you're trying to "hide" a bad vocal performance with production tricks, and it ends up sounding even cheaper/less professional than it would if it was just a single-tracked voice. If you're gonna sing a little "bad" it's cool if you do so with confidence, but not if you then try to polish it up with studio magic and hide behind layering takes, reverbs etc. It's the musical equivalent of photoshop retouching a badly taken cellphone picture, it's just never gonna look that great.

So yeah, between the double-tracking and the reverb I'd say to get a better "mix", you need a better vocal performance really. I think your job from a mixing standpoint is good enough, but like I said I'm listening on a Macbook so I wouldn't trust my opinion too much.

that short guy likes this.
  3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

it sounded congested aorund the vocal to me . there wasn't a space in the mix for it and it just kinda lays on top . especially in the verses , the chorus has allot more clarity .

I''d drop the volume of everything and start mixing it around the vocal ,where this feels more like you are trying to make the vocal fit the mix

4. that short guy

The double tracking was intentional but it was more to try and widen the vocals. I panned them hard left and right to try and make them sound bigger, but you're 100% right I could definitely do well to do vocal takes better lol. Because the flaws in pitch are blaringly obvious even there's 2 instead of 1.

The reverb/delay is a trial and error thing I'm still trying to figure out how wet I like the signal to be with delay and verb.

And thanks for the input, and also sorry I didn't warn you about the lack of melody... but in fairness I did say vocals and not singing lol

5. that short guy

You're completely right, they aren't sitting in the mix to well. To me they seem like they're 2 different things and that's what I'm trying to figure out how to fix. I really am lost when it comes to blending the vocals and instruments.

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

personally, vocal clarity is way more important than making them sound big. double tracking is great, but should be used as an effect sparingly .

I'd go back to square one with a single vocal take centered with just a gentle comp if anything , and then start mixing in the elements, drums, bass , rhythm guitar .if you start needing to turn up the vocal to be heard then try to balance the instruments with eq and panning .once it sounds good like that the delay guitar and overdubs can be brought in. but build it around the vocal

again, that's just me and what I like to hear . sure there's 1000 ways to go about it and many know way more than me

7. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

Probably not very helpful... D215C985-E5A1-4330-BF8C-D79477315FB4.jpeg

8. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

One thing that generally works for reverb is to have it longer but quieter, and to remove stuff below maybe 2-300 Hz in it to clear it up. And make sure the reverb is in stereo.

9. that short guy

Lol it's funny but not really helpful. I can't tell if you're trying to say that it sounds like crap or if you're telling me to try this ;)

NateFalcon likes this.
  10. that short guy

Thank you. I'll see if I can make that work

11. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

Just a joke for a suggestion...I don’t recommend it lol