I need help to be more tolerant of other people's taste in music.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Xaios, Jul 6, 2018.

1. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

See, I like them because I'm perfectly OK with J and K-pop to start with, the band are good, and the music runs through a pretty wide selection of styles - They've done from almost rammstein-sounding metal (Headbanger), through Dio-esque pomp ("Ijime, Dame, Zettai"), and they've even done K-hop/Hip-hop breaks just to screw with people's expectations (Iine!).

It's all in good fun. You're right that on it's own I wouldn't rate them as "Greatest band ever" or anything, but I wouldn't say that about Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin or Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start either, and I like those bands just fine too.

But, like I said above, a lot of why I fully enjoy Babymetal's existence is because of how *angry* they make a group of people who have no legitimate grievance except for the fact the band makes them feel less special and superior for being metalheads.

Even if half their value to me is in the fact they're trolling the crap out of these people just by existing, that's a hell of a lot of value-added, as far as I'm concerned, because those people are *awful*, and do more to kill the metal scene than they do to retain it's integrity.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't know that I'd go that far. Bostjan already pointed out some reasons one might like that band beyond the music itself. I'm not a fan of Babymetal but not because of any wacky identity politics. I just don't enjoy it very much. The pop aesthetic doesn't appeal to me, the cutesy girly voices come across to me as grating, and the very obvious appeal to people who are attracted to idols or really into Japanese culture just isn't for me. And the whole "look! they're surprising us and subverting our expecations!" thing isn't really what I look for in music. I don't hate them, they have their place, but I'm not a fan.

I guess you could argue that my lack of being a fan is distinct from "having a problem with them". I have a problem with people who insist that if you don't like them, it must be because you are [insert undesirable quality].

FILTHnFEAR and Winspear like this.
  3. GuitarBizarre

Which is why my distinction is between people who don't care for them (Fine), and people who legitimately try to argue they shouldn't exist. (Lol, get rekt)

4. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I fall into the category of those who genuinely like Babymetal. Honestly, I love Takayoshi and BOH of the band. Big influences on me as a player for both guitar and bass. Aside from that, all of the other recent members of the Kami Band such as Leda Cygnus, Fujioka Mikio (R.I.P.), Isao Fujita, Aoyama Hideki, Shuki Maeta, and Yuya Maeta are all absolutely PHENOMENAL players and composers on their respective instruments.

With that said, people love them for different reasons. I love them for the killer musicianships and instrumentation. Others might love them because: "Hey! This band is doing something different!" And even more so, others (such as your stereotypical weeb/otaku subculture members) might love them just because they fall into this J-Pop category.

You are also correct in that there are people who love Babymetal out of some sort of fetish. That is just part of the "idol" girl-group music territory. That kind of behavior is common over in Japan. Full-grown men will spend so much time and money collecting every little CD or piece of merch that a girl-group puts out, going to shows, being a dedicated supporter, etc. However, now that Babymetal is a worldwide sensation, you're seeing that same sort of behavior (sort of fetish-y) coming from fans all over the world in various countries and not just in Japan.

This right here. This needed to be said. Excellent point, Guitarbizarre. I've thought the same thing at times in regards to enjoying Babymetal simply because they "anger" a certain faction of idiotic, close-minded people for no reason whatsoever. :lol:

5. Emperor Guillotine

Apparently, my post a few pages back riled young William's feathers to such an extent that he felt the need to randomly message me just to continue his "I-need-to-validate-my-stance-and-assert-that-I-am-correct-and-you-are-wrong" bitchfest. :lol:

[​IMG]

6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Idol culture and its fans are the worst part of this entire country. I was at a festival where one of the stages was completely dedicated to idol garbage and the dudes were completely insufferable. At least Babymetal is good. They'd sound better if they dropped the other two vocalists who aren't Suzuka though.

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

baby metal def occupy a weird space in metal scene. I had a mate tell me the music is brutal and i didn't like them just cause of the Japanese chick singing in a baby voice and I was like fuck yeah, that's one reason .

to many of the fans its like a badge of honor that you're are super brutal cause you like them. its weird

but power to em. people are digging it

8. GuitarBizarre

That's just how people are, especially when they lack a wider context for what metal is or how the world works. Everyone I knew that listened to rock when I was at school in the early 00's was exactly the same way with whatever band they were into, usually Metallica or Slayer. I was the odd one out in that group because I was a colossal (And extremely naive/blinded) Megadeth fan.

You're right it's super weird, but that only really illustrates the point I was making earlier about people for whom metal is a way to pose and preen about how tr00 or btr00tz they are.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I realized a while back that the people around me seem to perceive me in vastly different ways because they come from very different frames of reference- my metal-listening friends think of me as the least metal person ever (I wear colours sometimes! I listen to acoustic and jazz and folk and 90s rock and classical! I like musicals and operas! I don't smoke weed! I don't swear at everyone for no reason!), but then I go home or to work and I become the exact opposite - the most metal/brutal/out there person they can think of because they don't have any other frame of reference (He's in metal bands! He wears black pretty often! He's very independent! He listens to aggressive tunes! There's screaming for some reason! What's a blast beat?! Why are there severed pig heads on the stage?!?!).

Edika and bostjan like this.
  10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I've never heard of Babymetal before, but now I'm intrigued. I'll have to blast this when I get home.

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Get ready to be disappointed.

They're equal parts annoying and underwhelming.

Which is too bad, because it's an interesting concept.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Unless you're into that kind of thing, which lots of people seem to be. :lol:

13. MaxOfMetal

This just makes you look like an ass. He was the civil one actually.

Not to mention, unless there is some shady shit going on its pretty poor form to post PMs. It's not an official forum rule, but do it like this again and things will be handled administratively.

Edika likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

I just don't get it. :lol:

15. GuitarBizarre

Most people so far in this thread have been very good at not getting things, lets be honest.

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I...kind of liked it. Based on the one song I listened to (Karate). I mean, I'm probably not going to go out and listen to the rest of their album. But, it was no worse than the cookiecutter bands that play those kinds of riffs in the US, and the J-pop vocal thing with the harmonies at least gave it some character, unlike 99% of these kinds of bands. Well, maybe I shouldn't say character, cause I've heard plenty of J/K-pop and this sure isn't anything special vocally compared to any of those clowns, but at least it's a new mash-up to me. And I'd sure rather listen to these chicks than LOL GUYS I COVERED KATY PERRY DJENT STYLE LOL and whatever else I usually get when it comes to pop +modern metal riffs.

Destiny Potato >>>>> Babymetal > any of them with a guy singing

Youtube then autoplayed Wretched Weaponry (Dynamic) and I promptly disregarded babymetal. Now THAT is some female vocal harmony over tough guy music that is unambiguously awesome. :p

17. wat

wat SS.org Regular

I enjoy the shit out of babymetal, I listen to them all the time at the gym. I like the weirdness of the heaviness mixed with the cuteness & those choruses are catchy as fuck. But half the music i listen to these days is Japanese or Korean anyway so it's not much of a stretch to me.

I also love how triggered the trve kvlt people get at mention of their name :agreed:

18. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Another shameless Baby Metal fan here. It is cookie-cutter. It's over produced. It was made by the idol industry. It in theory offends most of my music sensibilities. But it's catchy as fuck and easy to listen to. I've bought a few of their t-shirts xD

19. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Thanks to Babymetal we have to coolest signature Strandberg available too.

20. Emperor Guillotine

The Leda Cygnus signature model is literally nothing cool nor special. It's just an overpriced, basic Strandberg.