I need help to be more tolerant of other people's taste in music.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Xaios, Jul 6, 2018.

1. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Yup - https://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/splendor-misery

I personally prefer their previous album, this album leans pretty heavily on minimalistic noisy beats that aren't always my thing. Story 2 isn't from the sci-fi album but might be a better introduction for us guitar nerds cause the time signature counts up every couple lines (3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/8, 7/8, 8/8, 12/8).

2. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Man I'd probably off myself if the only things I could listen to were songs that were intellectually stimulating or difficult to play on the electric guitar.

Randy, pastanator and BIG ND SWEATY like this.
  3. toolsound

toolsound SS.org Regular

I recall an interview with Chino from Deftones and they asked him something like, "What's your favorite metal album right now?" His response was something like, "I don't know. I'm basically listening to Justin Timberlake all the time right now."

I loved that response. I like me some JT occasionally too.

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

On a slight tangent, it's important to detox yourself every now and then. I will sit down and listen to 8 hours of tech death or black metal at work but sometimes I throw on some K-Pop, the local radio station and whatever the pop song of the week is or even some gospel music. Helps two-fold: Increases your awareness and tolerance of other music out there and also if you're a musician you might find a lick/riff hook that you really dig that works in your taste of writing that you wouldn't have heard otherwise because you're listening to Braindrill on repeat.

5. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

Futuresexlovesounds is a modern day classic. It'll probably go down as one of the all time greats

6. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Find the insult in my post. Please, by all means, go on. Find it. Look, I'll even quote my entire message for you to make it easier and more convenient.

Find it. Go on. Find the insult.

So, now you're pissy because I used your own exact words against you?

Yeah, honestly, I feel great. How do you feel? Are you feeling butthurt?

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Man, you guys need to get outside (in a place without music) :lol:

Sogradde likes this.
  8. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

I don't have a social life so I don't go to parties and when I'm in a car I am the driver. However, through other means, I am subjected to music I absolutely detest. Yeah it sucks but I wouldn't give a friend an attitude because I don't like the music he's playing in his own fucking car. If it's that big a deal then avoid parties where you don't know who will be controlling the music.

I'm with the posters in this thread who are basically saying just grow up :shrug:

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

All I can really say to this post is that you did an amazing job of re-framing my original post in your mind into something that doesn't resemble what I wrote at all.

If an unconscious grimace constitutes "attitude," well then, guilty as charged.

My post contains literally no mention of parties.

Wow, you should become a therapist. I'm sure all people looking for advice on self-actualization and dealing with problems that they already recognize as being problems would just love coming to you. :coffee:

10. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

The whole post wasn't directed at you.

"Attitude" was the wrong way to describe your response then. That's my mistake.

Perhaps.

11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Closest we have so far:

12. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

We asked my aunt Marushka, what was it like working in a factory during the worst days of Stalin?

It was hell, she said. Loud popular music playing on loudspeakers all day long!

Every time I go to a cafe or bar or the shopping mall, I remember this story and laugh. These days, people don't need some evil oppressor anally raping their minds 24/7- they do it voluntarily, to themselves.

PunkBillCarson likes this.
  13. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

With logic like that, you can't dislike anything cause something else in history was always worse!

14. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

It helps to create a sense of perspective. I mean, it was only a couple of generations ago that music was only available to the upper class. The rest of the people were restricted to whistling a happy tune while washing the typhus-ridden clothes of their dying children.

Look, guys. I went through this whole music-snobbery-phase myself when I was in my teens/early twenties. I think everyone does at some point. The trick is to figure out that your taste is not as divine as you think and be a bit more humble. Different people like different things for different reasons and that's fine because for all I know, I wouldn't want to live in a world that's blasting Death Metal 24/7. After all music is about creating a response in you and something you don't care about might mean the world to someone else, no matter how stupid you find it.

I remember showing my friends songs that mean a lot to me for different reasons and I remember how gutted I was when all they said was "yeah, it's okay". But that's fine after all because we are individuals with an individual taste. Learn to not think of yourself so highly and try to find something nice in other genres every now and then to broaden your horizon.

[​IMG]

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  15. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Like you say, it comes down to a complete lack of perspective.

You can name almost any genre, and I can look into that genre and find the appeal in it. When it comes to pop-country, lets be honest, "Jolene" is a great song. More traditional country? Well Willie Nelson is a great lyricist and so is Merle Haggard, Tommy Emmanuel is a supernaturally gifted guitar player with a beautiful ear for harmony and melody (Bella Soave, Morning Aire), Chet Atkins was a beautiful, emotional songwriter (Still Can't Say Goodbye).

I've already spent a lot of time articulating the depth of Hip-Hop in this thread.

It's really quite sad, if I can call it anything, to see people who are so determined to define themselves by their musical taste and the conviction they have of that taste, that they'll actively attempt not to enjoy these things.

And I do mean that - There's such a resistance in people, especially metalheads, when it comes to making them admit that anything else is good. Get the fuck over that shit.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think it was mentioned already in this thread, and it's come up in other threads, but there's definitely a very strong sense of identity in people right now. I don't know if it's a new/modern thing, but people absolutely tie in whatever they can as a sort of definition of self. It's not "I am a person, but I also listen to metal". It's "I am a metalhead". The metalhead-ness is the defining property, not that you're just a person who happens to have a particular music taste. And it's not just music. Really into cars? You're a "car person". Took a bike to work today? "You are a cyclist". It's built into the language even - you don't say "I'm on a bike right now" very often, so much as you'd say "I am a cyclist". Even if you don't do it very often, you'll still blend it into your image of self, and describe yourself as such, despite not being in a context where it matters. "I'm a metalhead!" "Dude, you're in line at the drive through and no music is playing, your music tastes have nothing to do with your lunch".

17. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Hahaha, no. Not enough music.

18. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

I'd like to point out people taking this too far is exactly why Babymetal are so fantastic - The only people who have a problem with them are exactly the people who take what you're describing to a degree beyond where it makes any sense, and it's absolutely hilarious to watch those people struggle and spit and froth at the idea that metal isn't just for them and their elite little club of uptight posers.

Mathemagician and wat like this.
  19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I don't care for Babymetal. I think that there are people who genuinely like them, but I also think that there is a significant proportion of Babymetal fans who primarily like them because of some fetish thing. They certainly have a right to exist, but I also have a right to point out the obvious, which is that many of their followers don't have a clue what the lyrics are about and would never listen to the band if it was fronted by three burly dudes.

TedEH and GunpointMetal like this.
  20. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I was reading this topic more as "how do I disguise my disgust when I hear music that I hate" as opposed to "how do I deal with people that are idiots for listening to music that I like." The former doesn't require the latter. And, it seems to me that your post only really applies to the latter. There are plenty of people I know who are smarter/better than me who listen to music I find inscrutably bad. :(

Then again, there are plenty of posts that your post DOES apply to. There are a lot of pages of "Old man walks in to bar and walks out again Simpsons GIF" here.

pastanator and The906 like this.