I need help to be more tolerant of other people's taste in music.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Xaios, Jul 6, 2018.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

Nobody tolerates my music so I don't tolerate theirs.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Nlelith, Kaura and The906 like this.
  3. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

:rofl:

4. Kaura

Kaura Master of Mustangs

Proggier than half the bands that claim to be prog these days. :lol:

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd certainly uncertain Contributor

I seem to have a problem that's on the opposite end of the spectrum but also altogether different from your problem.

I often just invent what I want to see in something. So if it doesn't immediately appeal to me, I look at it other ways to see what I actually DO like about it and in many cases, those that showed me the media in question feel I've missed the point.

To me, the only point was to open my mind. If I find something I like in it--even if it's not what you intended--mission accomplished.

6. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

Echoing the approach of trying to find something appealing to like in other music genres.

I'm the only metalhead amongst my friends, have been for the last 20 years so I've had my fair share of moments where my eyes were in constant roll mode. Also, for a good length of time they all wanted to go clubbing on their birthdays... every year.....that was...... educational.

But I found that if I try to appreciate how well produced the music is, then it gives me an "in" so to speak to find a way to tolerate it. Taking the music for what it is, rather than what I want it to be, made it much easier too.

It sounds like you're getting enough exposure to other genres so I can't say that's the issue. But have you thought about how you're approaching other genres when you're listening to them? Just having a general attitude of acceptance helps, it's all about how you approach it.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There are definitely songs over which I would prefer that Foot Foot tune.

8. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Not for me, truthfully, but I honestly support what they do for the simple fact that it pisses the fuck out of trver than thov metalheads. I may have my own difficulties enjoying music outside of my "sphere" for lack of a better term, but I'll take music that I don't find compelling over the indignant, self-righteous "this music doesn't burn churches, rape children and murder minorities by strangling them with their own entrails and is therefore false in the eyes of great Odin" braying of whatever the metal equivalent of racial purists are called.

wankerness likes this.
  9. wankerness

Frank Zappa said that band was better than the Beatles. Their album certainly was...more original. Since it was produced in a near-complete vacuum (they were handed instruments and told to record a rock album without ever having heard rock music, or really any music, hence the total lack of time signature). I'm still waiting for Veldar to say something good about it.

Veldar likes this.
  10. andyjanson

andyjanson SS.org Regular

I kinda used to feel the same way when I was younger until I realised that I wasn't winning any prizes for not liking something. No-one else really cares what music you listen to, and no-one thinks you're any cooler for dismissing artists that prioritize things other than musicianship and technicality. All you're doing is denying yourself a potential source of pleasure, and I've found since opening my mind up to other genres that I'm far happier and less cynical because I feel like I'm allowed to enjoy a really good pop song if I hear one rather than telling myself it's inherently bad and that I dislike it based on a pretentious set of principles that are of no real value.

Metal/Prog/whatever is no better than any other style of music. In the end, it's all just arrangements of the same 12 notes and if you like how it sounds, it's good.

11. fps

fps Kit

It's really easy. Remember that ultimately, they're sounds going in people's ears. How can you judge someone for liking one set of sounds and not another set of sounds?

Ultimately, the music is just that, it's not image, it's not public persona, it's not instruments played, for nearly everyone, it's liking the sounds that are going into ears. Separate that from everything else around music and it may be a bit easier to understand that others' taste in music is just as valid as yours.

There are things to enjoy, admire and learn from in all forms of music.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  12. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

First time through I was think how cool that song is, seriously I would jam that.

Here are some reason it's a good tune:
    - Some of those beats get super close to the J dilla thing, guys like Questlove and Flying lotus popularised it within the last 10 years, that super out of time kick sound. It's 'hip' with 'cats' man
    - Those guitar lines are rather interesting in rhythm regarding the movement between the mono lines and chords
    - Vocals have a haunting presence to them, as if there wasn't a lot of emotion in them on purpose to create a sense of melancholy
    - Drum tone is kinda cool
    - The frantic drumming reminds me of math rock bands like Don cab, where the drummer is essentially soloing and then coming back in with the band every so often

You know people love the Captain Beefheart album and cited it as a groundbreaking/influential album, but it shares a lot in common with The Shaggs

TLDR: I can see why Frank Zappa loved them, works great as a palate cleanser and is truly avent garde by modern standards.

wankerness likes this.
  13. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Ultimately it's simple - if I wasn't tolerant of other people's music tastes, I never would've been shown League of Legends' K-Pop video, and what a sad and miserable life would I have led then?

Every genre has some incredible songs, even pop. Especially pop, due to the sheer volume of things being made, really. You can't tell me you dislike Marina and the Diamonds regardless of what hell-blackened neuro-death you normally listen to. It's just a matter of politely nodding at people showing you Nicki Minaj until you hit on the good stuff.

Like, I'm in the IT sphere, and work with 20-30 year olds fresh out of, or still in, university, and if they can listen to even half of Evisceration Plague, I owe it to them to at least try whatever mumble rap they're throwing at me.

14. wankerness

Alright, this post is fantastic. You win the internet today.

RE: dude above, Marina and the Diamonds is a weird example to use afor pop as she’s like, an actual musician that writes some interesting stuff. She’s along the lines of Florence and the Machine more than Britney Spears. If you’re going to talk pop that traditionally gets trashed, I’d use an example of some manufactured bimbo/himbo! But, I guess maybe that was sorta your point, that legit musicians are in almost every genre.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Veldar likes this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yesterday I got caught in a scenario where I had no choice but do be enveloped (for lack of a better word) in a bunch of hip-hip, rap, some kind of pop stuff, etc. stuff being played loudly over a PA.... aaaaaand I think I've had my fill of that music for the next while. I feel no obligation to try to force myself to like something that I just plainly don't enjoy, as long as nobody is going around grouching that everyone else has the "wrong" taste in music.
    I mean... some of the junk I listen to is just blast beats and gurgly noises, sooooooooo.......
    Lots of music is garbage. I just prefer to listen to certain kinds of garbage. To each their own garbage.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

OH NO.
    I just discovered the reversed version of Foot Foot.

17. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

Toof toof laP Ym opens portals no man can fathom.

18. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

What rubs me the wrong way is people telling me I need to be more "open minded" with my music preferences. I like what I like, and it moves me/affects me emotionally/is an escape. I downright HATE certain genres of music. I just happen to thrive on blast beats and vocals that sound like the singer has been gargling razor blades.

19. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Which is ironic given that you've got to have a pretty fucking open mind to enjoy black metal.

FILTHnFEAR and KailM like this.
  20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I don't think I've ever been told that. What I have been told though, is that "I don't understand how you don't like this band/artist". I've also been told that I listen to music only as a technical product, with complete disregard to emotion, again, because I didn't like a certain band/artist/vocal style of a band/artist.

I mean, I'm fine with people not liking what I listen to, but no-one's got a right to tell me what I should or shouldn't like. I also don't generally complain about the music playing anywhere, unless it's something I've heard too many times. For example I tolerate my wife's music, but she doesn't tolerate mine :lol: Sometimes she really properly tries, but she can't take it very long. Yet she still expects me to tolerate what she's listening to indefinitely. If she wasn't my wife, I'd tell her to fuck off straight away. :lol: Anyway, the reason she listens to what she listens to, is because she always thinks about dancing when there's music on - and sure, you can't really dance to metal (moshing or headbanging doesn't count). So yeah, I just act as if no music is playing if she's listening to something, and I generally just listen to my stuff at work (I'm a software developer so I get to listen to whatever I want almost all the time).

KailM likes this.