I’m Thinking of Going to Drake/Migos Concert

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BenjaminW, May 14, 2018.

1. chipchappy

chipchappy SS.org Regular

Saw drake when he played at my college spring break in 2010 (wow that was a long time ago) and he was pretty good. It was a LOUD show. Migos played at Boston calling last year as a replacement for someone else (don't remember who tho) and they weren't bad. Kinda boring.

As a fan of all things rap and hip hop... I say it's something new and fun to do for a change, so do it! Idk if it's gonna spark some change in you to like hip hop, but hopefully at least you'll have enjoyed yourself. I think that same tour is coming to MA? Was thinking of going to it too. Seeing Kendrick in June and I'm STOKED for that (def check him out when you get a minute!)

2. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

Oh Chris, glad you're still you.

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I like some rap, but these two artists certainly aren't it.

/scannersheadexploding.gif

4. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

Get Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass album, and when that kicks your shit in, go get Skelethon.

NateFalcon likes this.
  5. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

I wouldn't go, and this is coming from someone who likes Migos a lot(Drake is overrated). People are saying the production values will be good, but they aren't. It's literally a bunch of guys huddled around a Macbook Pro mumbling into a microphone. The only good hip hop shows I've been to had a band, or at least a drummer and bassist.

If you just wanted to get high and smash jailbait then ok.

6. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I'd rather cover myself in thousands of paper cuts and swim across a river of lemon juice.

Albake21 and NateFalcon like this.
  7. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Couldn’t have said it better myself...solid

8. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Drake is so 5 years ago...lol

9. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

Drake is at the height of his popularity right now.

I mean, I think he is just OK and it's gateway rap for younger people. I think both are dumb fun similar to any pop artist.

If you can afford it go, but I don't think you would regret it if you didn't.

10. chuggalug

chuggalug SS.org Regular

I dont ever attend rap shows but I went and saw Rae Sremmurd at middlelands festival and it was insane, also went and saw Lil Wayne at the bud light warehouse party they did here in houston a few years back. I think lil wayne is a joke but his show was pretty badass.

11. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I'm thinking the same thing (about the production), hip hop has that in common with punk that it's kinda not meant to be showy and extravagant usually. There are a few guys that do go for the theatrical show, like Kanye, who basically said there was no Bono or Bowie in hip hop so he was gonna be that... But from what I've seen and heard that's never really been the norm with hip hop shows, no matter how big the audience is.

- edit - that sounded negative :lol: I'm obviously not knocking hip hop or punk shows, just saying if you don't know what you're going into then you shouldn't expect the wrong thing.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I have trouble believing that I'd enjoy going to a concert for a genre of music that I don't like.

13. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I'd absolutely lose my mind at a concert like that. Between the music and the fans of the genre... yeah no thanks!

14. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

I'm going to hijack these thread to look for recommendations. I'm a fan of gangsta rap from the early nineties. I like that sound, I like the way they rap, etc.

Old Snoop, Dre, NWA, Public Enemy, Ice Cube, Ice T, etc.

I also really enjoy Kanye West for some reason...but it's already old.

Which kind of modern artist should I listen to? I can't get into these new rappers at all. I'm not an "old far who doesn't dig new music" as I'm constantly searching for new kinds of rock and metal and other styles, but somehow I just can't jive with these "mumble" rappers...

Do we have something modern that is closer to the artists I mentioned?

15. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

What specific characteristics do you like about them? The "real talk" of the gangsta life, the aggressiveness of their voices, lyricism in addition to flow, etc...

Check out Maxo Kream (Roaches), Ramirez (Blunt to My Lip), Pouya (One Time), Switchgang Mari Bandz (Hate Me), Terror Reid (Uppercuts), Xavier Wulf (Thunder Man), Shabazz Pbg (Destruction), and 03 Greedo (Sweet Lady).

Some of these are more modern sounding than others, but I still think you might like them. Most are underground rap but 03 Greedo is part of the new wave of LA rap (alongside Shoreline Mafia, Drakeo The Ruler, and The Stinc Team) so if you like that sound look up those artists.

You honestly might like 6ix9ine though, he's arguably one of the closest in terms of sound and overall vibe even if he looks like a walking skittle

edit: Kendrick Lamer (as Leviathus said) and the whole Top Dawg Entertainment team might be something you'd like. Not my cup of tea by any means but a lot of people love them. Isaiah Rashad is pretty cool though.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  16. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

17. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Most rap concerts aren't even all that exciting for people who like rap. There--to me--tend to be too many people on stage at once, all with microphones yelling at the same time and it becomes a very unpleasant experience for me very quickly even if I like the group performing. I stick to listening on my own when it comes to those kinds of shows.

Also, if when rap comes up, Drake and Migos come to mind I have a feeling that's half the reason you hate rap. They're not representative of the value found within said genre...

18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

A good show is a good show. Most big artists don't get to where they are without at least being entertaining. I'm solidly a "rock" guy, but two of my top 5 shows ever were Neil Diamond and Garth Brooks. I wouldn't go into Drake/Migos thinking it's anything like a "rap show", though, just as one wouldn't go to "Green Day", and calling it a metal show.

19. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I bought my girlfriend at the time tickets to Taylor Swift as an anniversary thing, and music aside that is the best show I've been too purely on on quality and production. The concept might sound boring or like you won't dig it, but go with some friends or a significant other that digs the music and have a good time. It's cool that you're open to a new experience, they can be a ton of fun.

Masoo2 likes this.
  20. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

No joke. I worked as a stagehand for a while, so I got to see a lot of huge artists I wouldn't have paid to go see otherwise, and it really opened my eyes to just how mind blowing some of these pop stars' shows are. I'm extra jealous towards americans because a lot of these crazy productions I worked on were in fact the slightly downsized, european versions :lol:

Jonathan20022 likes this.