Hurricane related stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DistinguishedPapyrus, Sep 8, 2017.

1. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Just got back in today from a trip to the Orlando area... crap I 75 is bad. From the turnpike up through where 75 meets I 10 it's wal-to-wall traffic in the northbound lanes. Albeit still moving, but turned a typically 6 hour trip into about 10 hours. People are being allowed to take the middle shoulder as an additional lane, making it 4 solid lanes of bumper to bumper cars for over a 100 mile stretch. A few breaks here and there where you could actually get up to around 55-65 mph, but mostly the travel was around 25-30 mph.

And all this was around 2:30 in the morning local time, I got up at 1:30 to leave.

There were people crammed into all the rest stops and service stations too. Some lines over a half mile long for gas, and the roads were lined with cars from people who pulled off into the rest stops to sleep over night.

I apologies if I cut anybody off or was driving like an a-hole, it was a very stressful drive all around, 10 hours behind the wheel on about 1.5 hours of sleep, a few unnecessary cuss words were being exchanged at points.

They are still keeping south bound lanes for south travel only so trucks, supplies, gas, emergency personnel and national guard can get through.

The biggest problem with such a huge storm bearing down on the southern tip of Florida is that there is only one direction people can take to evacuate... North. And only 2 major roads to go on, I 75, and I 95 on the east coast.

2. IGC

IGC OCDG

Best luck with the hurricane bro, keep us posted.

3. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Be safe, we just went through a different kind of hell; but our commutes are still terrible (normal 35-45 minute trips are taking up to 4 hours).