How to remove glossy areas on Ibanez RGD2127 satin body?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ehsanimn, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ehsanimn

ehsanimn Ehsan Imani

Hi, I got my Ibanez RGD2127z a couple of months ago, and as you can see, I have a small glossy area on the satin body between the pickups at the bottom of the first string.
    Since I love the satin look, I'm thinking about any possible way of removing the glossy area are getting the matte look back. I've heard about using 0000 steel wool, could it damage the body? Any tip from you would be really appreciated.

And I'm afraid that, if I've got a glossy area after 2 months, what could I get after years? A full glossy guitar?! how can I prevent such thing from happening?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sunyata

Sunyata Bro Story Cool

This is a problem with matte finish guitars. I don't really think you can get that out. It'll only wear where you put your hands most however. Might be wrong though...

3. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

I think it's just something that comes with the territory I'm afraid man.

4. Insinfier

Insinfier SS.org Regular

Human skin is destructive. I don't think there is a fix for this without refinishing the guitar.

5. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

I'm in the same boat with my RGD7421... I'm considering putting a faux pick guard or something to cover the gloss spots- or just rub the whole thing a lot until it's all glossy. It's a shame because I think satin finishes are the best.

6. ehsanimn

ehsanimn Ehsan Imani

I've just read some threads about people who used a 0000 steel wool, or a fine sand paper to give a satin look to their glossy finish guitars. mostly in Martin guitar forums. I thought it may work about my issue.

7. arcadia fades

arcadia fades SS.org Regular

have you tried cleaning it with a damp micro fibre cloth?

8. ehsanimn

ehsanimn Ehsan Imani

9. Rook

Rook Electrifying

^you're not wiping something off it

A satin finish is just a gloss finish that hasn't been buffed out to a complete gloss, and by rubbing your not-perfectly-smooth skin over it you eventually buff the satin. I had the same with my SLSMG before I stripped it, I got a wood worker friend of mine to sand it as if it were going to be satin, and it came out perfect. He did the whole thing though, don't be tempted to just do the glossed spots or do it cheap or half arsed.

Very very fine steel wool or micromesh will do it, make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you start, don't just go all Rambo on the front just to realise its fucking up your finish.

10. ehsanimn

ehsanimn Ehsan Imani

Thanks, so I'll make a guitar hardware tech do it.

11. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Probably best :)

12. infernalservice

infernalservice SS.org Regular

I have seen people use a high grade scotch brite pad to bring the matte back.

13. Metalcat

Metalcat SS.org Regular

Wow I was just glancing across the forums and saw this.

I have the same issue on mine so I'll have to work on that too...thanks for posting this thread AND thanks to you guys who responded with answers.

14. CRASHER369

CRASHER369 SS.org Regular

You could prolly save a bunch doing it yourself. Make sure to use 0000 grade steel wool. Tape off any hardware so you don't scratch it. Start very lightly and do a little at a time. I've been thinking of doing the same to my neck.

15. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

I am no guitar tech, but isn't this corrosive? So, how many times will you be able to do that until you reach bare wood? Just asking.

16. Matt_D_

Matt_D_ SS.org Regular

the RGD matte finish is SUPER thin, it flakes off if you so much as lightly knock it. so. once? if that?

i'm considering actually re-finishing my RGD as there's already a few chips in the paint! ARGH!. i've got to the point where im just going to play the balls off it and not worry about the finish :)

17. ehsanimn

ehsanimn Ehsan Imani

You're totally right. Last night a friend of mine wanted to test drive my RGD. He has very sweaty hands and didn't play with the guitar more than 3 minutes but after that my new strings immediately sounded dead and I got some new glossy areas on the body!
    If I can't turn back the matte finish more than a couple of times so there is no point cause it will always happening. So I decided to get along with it and not worry. I may make the body refinished after some years.