How to refinish a neck for something silky smooth?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bobo, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

Got a neck I have resphaped some, and now I want to put a very slick finish on it. But just to get this out of the way 1st, leaving bare wood is a definite no-no...right? It's maple btw. I don't sweat when I play, don't gig or anything...but it still needs a finish, right?

Maybe just spray a few coats of a satin poly?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Depends on how much upkeep you want down the road.

Satin poly will last longer, you'll have to brush it back to matte every now and then depending on how much you play, but it's a hard wearing finish.

Another option is oil and wax, which will give you an extra slick, barely there feel, but you'll have to reapply the finish more often. Not to mention it won't seal as well as poly.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

you could just slap some danish oil or tung oil on it if you want a little bit of protection without spraying poly. It depends how hard you abuse your guitars or plan on abusing them. If you're going to beat the hell out of it then go with an automotive 2k satin like spraymax, it's very durable.

4. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

So I should add this info - I don't play a lot and don't abuse my guitars. So I'm not so worried about protection (part of the reason I asked about the need to even put a finish on at all). I guess the only thing I'm worried about is going the right route for a super slick finish.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

We're not talking about slapping the neck against amps like you're Pearl Jam. :lol:

Sealing the wood helps maintain proper moisture content as temperature and humidity naturally change, even in places with central HVAC.

If you play your guitar you will wear down the finish. Eventually.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

danish oil is pretty unobtrusive as far as finishes go. once you've got your neck sanded to whatever grit you like (I usually stop around 1500 grit personally) just apply some oil with a rag to the neck. You'll probably only need a couple of coats at most.

7. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

Well I guess I did treat my guitars like Pearl Jam when I was younger lol. Even though it seemed to make sense to protect the wood in some manner, I know I had read long ago about necks that were left unfinished...but maybe it was only certain woods? But this is standard maple...shesh of all the guitars I've owned I don't think I've had anything but maple.

Danish Oil sounds like a winner then. It's sanded to 1500 (or maybe it was 2000) now, and it feels great to the touch so I wanted to keep it close to that.

Thanks guys!

8. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I own the Jackson that Ben used to do the video with, and the finish he applied is fantastic.

9. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

For anyone curious, I went the Danish Oil route and I love it. Feels basically like the bare wood sanded to 1500, very smooth. Thanks all!

10. chuggalug

chuggalug SS.org Regular

if you follow ben ellers video that oracles posted to a T, you will be left with one of the best feeling neck finishes you can have on bare wood. I did it to a crappy yamaha pacifica that i didnt worry too much about goofing up and it turned out so good that I ended up doing it to every guitar that I own that didnt have a painted neck.

11. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

I did try that method on another neck, paid close attention to his details. But it didn't turn out as smooth as the Danish Oil for me.

Uncle Ben is an awesome dude though lol.

12. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

Do it the Eddie Van Halen way. Dont. Just let your natural hand oils and grease and shít do the work