How to make melodic metal style lead harmonies (Axe FX or in general)?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Omega139, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Omega139

Omega139 SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I've been toying around with the pitch shifter in Axe FX 2 and I was looking for advice on settings to get good harmonies for melodic metal guitars (cheesy power metal type stuff, or like stuff on Christian Muenzner's solo album). I'm assuming they should be in 3rds? I was just curious as to what other settings I should use in the pitch shifter to get a good lead guitar melody.

I know my question is specific for the Axe FX 2, but even general tips on harmonies from a theory or producing/mixing perspective. If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated!

2. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Th challenge wth pitch shifters is that you can pick an interval, or pick a key, but great melodies often shift keys or have passing chords that are out of key.

If you're not planning on reproducing live, I would just double-track your harmony. If you're writing with the intention of playing live, primary key 5ths are probably your safest bet, but every song is different so you may not know for sure without some trial and error.

Omega139 likes this.
  3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If you want "chord" harmonies, go with thirds in the key of the song.
    If you want "death metal" harmonies, go with static m3.
    But either of these get boring pretty quick if you don't deviate throughout a section. So its probably best to play both parts and work out what works best instead of relying on the harmonizer.