How to connect Laptop/Interface to Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Matt Ress, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Matt Ress

Matt Ress SS.org Regular

I'm in this project now where we don't have a bassist but a lot of the music is based on bass melody/rhythm, apart from the usual low end thing. Now what would be the best way to get bass sound/play in our rehearsal space? There is a couple of options I can think of, but if you have any other ideas can you help me out?

1. Record bass, mix it and play through PA (with click for drummer)
    2. Record raw bass and play it through bass amp.

Option 2 seems to be best in terms of sound and feel in the room. It is also easier to dial in an amp in the room than play mixed takes through PA. But how do I connect laptop to bass amp so it sounds good? I obviously need an interface but would standard out (where monitors are connected) be suitable for this? Any other gear I would need, like dibox or whatever?

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

This sounds like you want a reamp box. You'd record a clean DI of the bass tracks (bass -> DI -> interface -> DAW), then play it back (DAW -> Interface -> reamp box -> amp). It'll work the same without the reamp box in between but it might be noisy, or might interact weirdly with the amp since the signal isn't quite the same as what you'd get from an instrument (I don't know the tech details, something like the level and impedance won't match).

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

^^^ BASSically this (sorry, I'll leave after this). What we were doing when we didn't have a bass was just running pre-recorded and "amp'd" bass tones out of a separate output from the interface (click was coming out one, backtracks out two, bass out three) and into a DI box. The parallel 1/4" output went to a power amp and into a bass cab for the stage and the XLR output went to FOH. Never really had any issues with noise and then the levels were independently adjustable between the amp/room and FOH.

Matt Ress likes this.
  4. Matt Ress

Matt Ress SS.org Regular

Thinking of simplyfing this even more:

iPod (with Bass DI) right channel -> Dibox/reampbox -> Bass Amp
    iPod (click) on left channel -> headphones -> drummer

There's Y cables that can split signal left/right but is iPod (or a tablet/phone) capable of producing the right signal for this?

GunpointMetal likes this.
  5. GunpointMetal

Yes, lots of people do that. The signal out of the iPod MIGHT not be what a re-amp box is expecting, but it should still work.

6. Matt Ress

Matt Ress SS.org Regular

Is signal coming from dibox/reampbox what amp is expecting, that's the big question :)

7. GunpointMetal

The output of the re-amp box will be right for the instrument input of a "normal" bass amp. We just ran ours straight into a power amp because it was a line-level signal coming out of the parallel output of the DI box.

Matt Ress likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Reamp box yes, DI box no. Those two do not do the same thing. They're sort of the reverse of eachother.

Matt Ress likes this.
  9. Matt Ress

Matt Ress SS.org Regular

Thank you for pointing this out, I'm a bit of noob in the subject.