How far would you drive for a live show?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by zarg, Feb 19, 2018.

1. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

Hi Guys!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. Epica (my absolute favorite band) is having their 1000th anniversary show in april (huge show, a lot of cool bands playing). I really want to go, but it's in their homeland: the netherlands. It'd be about 7 hours to drive there for me, what do you guys think? should I go? (I have a company car - I don't even pay the fuel)
    I've been to an Epica show before and it was the best show I've been too.
    But then Trivium is playing 2 days before that in a town thats about 2 hours from me - they're sick, especially the last album was killing it but not as much as Epica. I'm thinking about taking a night in a hotel after the show so I can drive back on at least some hours of sleep.

How far did you guys to a live show? was it worth?

2. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I've driven 6 hours to see The Dear Hunter. You only live once, so make the trip!

3. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

true. I just got a ticket, I'm going!.hyped! I love that Metal shows are like 30-40 bucks. I stumbled apon a Katy Perry liveshow - 200€ for a ticket.... what is wrong with people? lol

cwhitey2 likes this.
  4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I drove 8 1/2 hours to see Opeth on their Ghost Reveries tour. I drove 12 hours to see Metallica one time. Both were very well worth it.

zarg likes this.
  5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

3-4 hours is about as far as I'll go. Much more than that and then I gotta start thinking about taking time off the next day (unless its a weekend show), taking time off to get out early enough to make, how much I'm gonna spend on gas, etc. etc....the further away the show the less-likely I'll be able to budget anything for merch, which kinda sucks because I love buying stuff straight from the band. I'd rather burn my paid vacation trying to PLAY shows or actually going somewhere I've never been.

Leberbs likes this.
  6. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

if it's further than a 1 1/2 hour journey by public transport one way i'll probably not go. Most trains to civilised society stop going past midnight or only go once every hour. Haven't got a car myself (although i could borrow one if i really needed to) and the city i live in isn't connected to the night trains. This is a shame though, some really cool bands have been to Leeuwarden or Eindhoven and those places are just a bitch to reach.

exceptions are made if i have friends living in the city where the gig so i've got a place to crash, but i'm only doing that on weekends lol. Haven't been to a foreign country just for a gig yet, but i wouldn't be opposed to going to Antwerp or Cologne or something if it's some band i really wanna see that's not coming to the Netherlands. But most bands that do Germany and Belgium also do the Netherlands so that's never been an issue yet.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It depends on where you are in your life and how high you set your expectations for the show. I've driven ~10 hours to catch a show before, and why not? If you want to go to this particular show, then go. If it's an extra special anniversary show and you think it'll be a once in a lifetime opportunity, then go. We are all musically-minded, right, so I can think of no reason why not to go, so go. :)

zarg likes this.
  8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

I drove 6 hours for After the Burial. I'd do it again.
    All about who's playing.

zarg and Paul McAleer like this.
  9. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I drove 12 hours to see Periphery, Veil Of Maya, Animals As Leaders, and Circle Of Contempt. That exact lineup wasn't playing any closer to me. It was worth it.

Leberbs and zarg like this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

I drove 10 hrs to see devin townsend at red rock. I regret nothing.

11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

In high school my friends and I went all the way to NYC to see Emperor reunion tour since there was no Chicago date. I didn't do any of the driving, but it was at least 12 hours

Triple7 likes this.
  12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’d drive the absolutely BORING drive to Atlanta to see a specific band/show if hey meant a lot to me. What’s that maybe 6-7 hours?

And i’m buying tickets to see slayer this year because it’s their last damn tour and I’ve never seen them. I am not a man who pays $90+ for a concert ticket with regularity.

Sometimes....yolo am I right? Have a concert weekend bro.

13. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

If you have the opportunity, if you think it's worth it, do it. Furthest I ever went was about 300 km, but if it was something special, some band I desperatly wanted to see, especially if I knew they might not come back... I'd go unless I was utterly broke, and since you don't have to pay for fuel, why where you even considering not to do it? :D
    Reminds me of how well of we are where we live, btw. Saw a documentary on Lamb of God recently with a gig in India, and the people there went for up to 39 hours on train if I remember correctly, just to get to the show. I was about to say I'd probably draw the line at about 10-12 hours, but depending on the conditions.... I might just not :D

14. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Do it!!

I drove to Germany to go to Wacken.. that was a long drive :p

Chiba666 and zarg like this.
  15. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

In Europe that is very long distance for seeing one night of bands. I have driven 3 hours to see Metallica, and same 3 hours back in the same night, and 4 hours to a three day festival. Nothing more than that, but if it was a festival I would really want to participate, anywhere in Europe is fine, and I would of course fly to there.

16. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

As I get older, I get more particular about the ratio of # hours of travel to # hours of the target event. If I'm traveling a few hours to a show, I'm probably staying overnight so I can get a good meal and party it up around the show and not worry about a long, tipsy drive home. Most recently, I went to see NIN in Las Vegas and was able to work it into a nice 3-night trip, which is pretty much the max you want to do out there anyway.

17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I'm jealous of you guys from Europe who have all the best metal shows. That's all I care to see anymore, besides the occasional classic rock act that makes it to my state. I live in a metal no-mans-land (Montana). Literally every show that comes to my town is either bluegrass or country. Nearest city that actually has major metal shows is Salt Lake City, an 8.5 hr drive for me. And even then, the shows are few and far between.

So when a major European band plays in SLC, heck yeah, I'll make the drive.

18. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

The longest I would spend for a ride to a concert would just be a three-hour traffic jam, other than that my country is very small so venues aren't very far away from me.

19. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

In high school I drove from Vancouver to Seattle on a weekday with some friends to see Porcupine Tree. Not really all that far but hey, it's still another country. We made it back home around 4am with jazz band practice in the morning. Definitely worth it.

20. Ebony

Ebony Drums

My friend and I went from Oslo to Uppsala (6-7 hours one way) to see Ondskapt/Saturnalia Temple/Omnizide in 2012. It was a great, sweaty gig but the main reason we felt like it was worth it was because we made a small holiday out of it. Spent an additional day sightseeing and enjoyed good beer and food at a restaurant by the river.

zarg likes this.