How do you guys write?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Ordacleaphobia, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

I'm the odd one out, I'm so unbelievably uncreative I'd rather learn other music and play that. Currently working on a Ghost tribute band :fever:

2. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

Sometimes I'll go months without coming up with anything or just not really in the mood to play. If it was easy than everyone would do it and nobody would care about good songs. When I do get inspiration, there are several different ways I'll write:

1. Listening to a particular band during a specific time period, while at the gym or whatever, and it usually inspires me to noodle around with riffs that sound like the band
    2. Getting some cheap midi drums, like midi expansions in different styles, and writing guitars on top of the drum patterns
    3. Whistling or humming ideas that come in my head, then recording them on a phone or whatever, and later trying to translate them to guitar

Start to finish writing a song I like can take months. You just have to realize that your music doesn't have to be perfect. I know my stuff isn't great, but I do it for fun because I enjoy it as a hobby.

Exchanger likes this.
  3. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

This is genius; I do this all the time and forget what I had by the time I get a guitar in my hands. Never would have thought to whip out the phone :lol:

4. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I start with Lyrics, hum a melody to sing them, record it and see what I can come up with for rythm that fits the bill.

Pros:
    -you're not limited by your guitar playing habits
    -you get a surprisingly varied amount of melodies that way

Cons:
    -you must be able to write lyrics. Anything can go by the first few times, but the 17th song about a dead king in his castle of steel will get old before it's done. So does "Satansatansatansatan". Luckily I'm not too bad in that regard
    -When you realise your song has the weirdest time signatures ever because of your sentences, and you need to cheat/edit the lyrcis to fit. And then your singer is "I have to sustain that note for FIFTEEN SECONDS ????"

5. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

If you're writing, have a pen/paper on you at the least, if not an instance of Guitar Pro/some notation software open all the time. The amount of times I've been jamming and not written something down only to forget how it went... Urgh.

6. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Usually just dick around with my loop pedal and then when I find something I like I will build on that.