How can I make this cheaper?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Kemono, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

This this this

2. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

When I watched the video I went in thinking this is going to be funny, and I was right lol. Dude, raise your guitar roughly 12” higher.

You don’t have to try and play like Slash. This will be infinitely more comfortable and less restricting than moving around strap buttons.

3. DickyTripleD

DickyTripleD SS.org Regular

Oh, the Strandbergs are gorgeous. It's the mockup of that V with horns that was posted I don't really like. Lol.

4. Kemono

Kemono SS.org Regular

Your questions, answered!

Any physical limitations? Why is the guitar so low?
    The guitar is too close to my body. This height is a compromise between L & R hands.

What's the difference between my design & Strandberg (Besides fugly)
    Mine's longer.

Why have the horns angled back?
    1) Upper (guitar away from body)
    2) Lower (prevent tipping forward)

Example of my struggling with upper frets and stretches

5. DickyTripleD

DickyTripleD SS.org Regular

Question number five, and perhaps the most important... Why are you shirtless?

6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

This is such an unusual and experimental thing that I think you really need to go hands on and do it yourself if money is a concern. If I were you, I would be looking at lopping off the upper half of the body and playing around gluing on some wood at the desired angles until you at least figure out what works. It'll look rough but prototyping would be doable with very basic tools and not too much effort.

7. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’m not sure how you could exactly specify the angle.

But, i know you want the body to extend back towards you. I would grab two of the same guitar body (except one is left handed), glue them back to back, and then grab a Dremel and a a sander and start removing material where you want it. Wherever you feel the body digging into you or pushing you in a weird way, just remove the material in that area.
    The extra 1.75” of the second body should be enough to accomplish what you want to do. If not just grab another left handed guitar body and glue it to the back of the stack. Make sense?

You just need to have the DIY spirit in you to get it done.

Take a look at Rick Toone’s ergonomic guitars like the Dove. The bodies HAVE to come from massively thick pieces of wood in order have “wings” that “reach back” towards the player.

Just be sure to use cheap shit like poplar.

Also, I’m no expert and I’ve never done this before. This would just my approach if i tried doing this.

8. Kemono

Kemono SS.org Regular

Behind the upper horn, we tried a 3.1 cm block of wood. That made playing much easier. The corners of the block poked my sternum and that was painful. The temp block of wood was removed. We proceeded to design the guitar, I ordered, then canceled. I lost a lot of money on bitcoin.

If the horn is contoured, it will contact my sternum and provide stability at a resting playing position; when I don't need to move the guitar around.

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

That still doesn’t answer the question of why the guitar is so low. Is it a physical limitation of your arm range? Otherwise it’s just a compromise between bad posture on one hand and bad posture on the other hand.

Like whatever you do you. But if you need to build a complete custom guitar to fix this issue it’s not going to be cheap.

10. Kemono

Kemono SS.org Regular

I don't have a dremel and a sander, nor do I have any place to put any of that. I'm in a 360 ft^2 apartment and, at $2100/mo, going broke fast. Maybe when I become a multi-millionaire (never) I can buy a house.

11. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

BRO that San Francisco rent though! Christ!

Makes sense though. I stayed with a buddy of mine in his “room” in San Francisco for a weekend. When he told me he paid $500 a month for it i was shocked because it sounded like a great deal. I arrived and he literally, and i mean literally, lived in a walk-in closet.

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

This was from an article from 3 years ago. I'm sure it's gotten worse since:
    "An ordinary 35-44-year-old homeowner in the U.S. hands over about $1,073 per month for their house payment, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The SF average for a one bedroom apartment is nearly three times that, at $2965 per month."

The best decision we ever made was scrimping and saving to buy in 2010. We were fortunate enough that we could afford to put in 66% of the home's sale price in a remodel this year to add 300 sqft and to go from 2br/1ba to 3br/2ba, and we'll still be way ahead of the new value.

narad likes this.
  13. Kemono

Kemono SS.org Regular

I don't know. It'd be great if I could have solved my financial and living issues last year (before I desperately gambled everything on bitcoin, etc), but this is broadening the scope of this forum topic by orders of magnitude.

I need a process to make a custom guitar for me.

I'd try a Strandberg if I could find one. Though big differences with my guitar body design vs Strandberg, specifically, are the horns on mine are contoured way back and the body is ~10cm longer. These differences should make a big difference in its playability, for me.

14. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Guitar center has them.

15. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Also, keep an eye on Guitar Center's used section. You can buy guitars from other parts of the country and they will bring them to your store, and you can return it without issue. I'm sure they don't pop up used very often, but worth checking out.

16. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Man this doesn’t have anything to do with the question being asked.

You say that your guitar position is the best compromise between your left and right hands. Clearly it’s not if you need an entire guitar custom built for you.

Unless you have limited range of motion your either of your arms.

Raise your guitar.

17. Kemono

Kemono SS.org Regular

Dummy, I’m not asking you to tell me to raise my guitar. I’ve already gone over exactly what the problem is and that you still want to continue to lecture me on how I should play my guitar like a sissy like you.

Any other dumb dumb like you who is too stupid to figure it out, can’t watch the video, or likes to troll can fuck off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.