Home recording: best source of practical knowledge

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by eayottes, Jun 10, 2018.

1. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

As the title says, I'm looking for the best beginner source of information for recording music in a home studio. I have patchwork knowledge taken from various sources and my recording skills are pretty rudimentary. I'd like to unify that with a better understanding of things. I'm looking for very practical/hands-on information that will translate directly to my recording, not for theory.

I'm aware the internet exists and that therefore there are a ton of tutorials available. This is part of the problem anyone new at this faces: given limited time, there are tons of videos/tutorials, not all of them good (and even worse, some of them have erroneous info).

How did you learn to record ? Thanks in advance for your answers

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

eayottes likes this.
  3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I was going to suggest Mike Senior's other book, "mixing secrets for the small studio" but recording secrets is probably more appropriate. Either way, good stuff. My brother swears by that book and he does this stuff sort of professionally.

eayottes likes this.
  4. DownToEarthAudio

DownToEarthAudio SS.org Regular

Mixing for the small studio is a great book, no doubt! But it might be a little too much information if you know nothing about recording. "Modern recording techniques" is a great way to get started understanding the basics of recording. I think if you start with that book, it will give you a much better foundation for understanding Mixing Secrets, and other mixing/recording lessons/books/ect. It explains everything from the different kinds of mics and how they work, what a preamp does, how a compressor works, how to soundproof and treat your room, stereo imaging, basic psychoacoustics, mastering, and more.