Home recording: best source of practical knowledge

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by eayottes, Jun 10, 2018.

1. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

As the title says, I'm looking for the best beginner source of information for recording music in a home studio. I have patchwork knowledge taken from various sources and my recording skills are pretty rudimentary. I'd like to unify that with a better understanding of things. I'm looking for very practical/hands-on information that will translate directly to my recording, not for theory.

I'm aware the internet exists and that therefore there are a ton of tutorials available. This is part of the problem anyone new at this faces: given limited time, there are tons of videos/tutorials, not all of them good (and even worse, some of them have erroneous info).

How did you learn to record ? Thanks in advance for your answers

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

eayottes likes this.
  3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I was going to suggest Mike Senior's other book, "mixing secrets for the small studio" but recording secrets is probably more appropriate. Either way, good stuff. My brother swears by that book and he does this stuff sort of professionally.

eayottes likes this.
  4. DownToEarthAudio

DownToEarthAudio SS.org Regular

Mixing for the small studio is a great book, no doubt! But it might be a little too much information if you know nothing about recording. "Modern recording techniques" is a great way to get started understanding the basics of recording. I think if you start with that book, it will give you a much better foundation for understanding Mixing Secrets, and other mixing/recording lessons/books/ect. It explains everything from the different kinds of mics and how they work, what a preamp does, how a compressor works, how to soundproof and treat your room, stereo imaging, basic psychoacoustics, mastering, and more.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Sounds like I should buy that one for myself. I didn't even know it existed.

6. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Mixing With Your Mind is worth a read, though for whatever reason you have to buy it straight from the author's website and import it from Australia.

7. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I would check out the Andy Sneap forum. It is pretty dead there now but there is a ton of very good information on there.

Lorcan Ward and Masoo2 like this.
  8. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

The Recording Revolution is to this day the most straightforward, honest and comprehensive beginner home recording resource I found. Tons of great resources in any form, including the above mentioned ones by other users, but I think at the beginning video format is the best. First, for time-advantage reasons in consuming content (video is more efficient than text), second since you phisically "connect" with the tutorialist in the production process (hearing AND seeing). Best of luck, it's a long way.

9. Matt Ress

Matt Ress SS.org Regular

I can recommend Musician on a Mission on YT. Slightly different approach to mixing than The Recording Revolution (RR is great too!).

10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

http://www.systematicproductions.com/mixing-guide.htm

This helped me a LOT. I have it printed out and always pull it out when mixing to brush up on anything I've forgotten.

Its a shame that forum died. It was full of really knowledgeable guys who were eager to share their tips, answers questions and give away impulses/samples/patches etc. Its my go to forum when searching for mixing information since there is a goldmine of informative threads.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I read through the systematic guide a while ago and don't feel like I got much out of it. Most of it's content was the kind of stuff that gets repeated on forums over and over already.

12. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I agree what with the information available now; Ermin's book was a gamechanger when it first came out though. Having all the information synthesized in one place is pretty great.

13. Viktor Zethelius

Viktor Zethelius SS.org Regular

I think I saw "The Recording Revolution" in some answers here and I totally agree. I signed up for that program and it´s totally awesome. Graham who´s creating all this is very reliable, helping, honest and explaining very clear and instructional.
    He really knows what gears to buy for a low budget and what to avoid.
    His program helped me of:
    1) Buying the right equipment for your type of recording
    2) How to properly set up and record (in my own living room) (gears n sound-proofing)
    3) How to edit your recordings in pro-tools
    4) How to mix in pro tools
    5) How to master in pro tools ...n much more technical stuff

Tips: take notes on a piece of paper of all the information he tell/show in these courses!
    Or else u only forget everythin...

The program includes good instructional videos in all these areas n I recomend it stronlgy for anyone who wants to learn and to have as professional sound as possible thru your recordings :)
    https://www.recordingrevolution.com/

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Doing it, mostly.

For things I've read that have been tremendously helpful:

*The Slipperman thread stickied here.
    *this blog post about tracking levels
    *this thread on microphone design and how it impacts the way sound is captured, from homerecording.com (which itself has a ton of useful info).

Any thread or guide that tells you what range to EQ what instrument is, in practice, going to not be terribly helpful. Ones that instead tell you where instruments tend to fall, and what part of an instrument tends to be where, is a bit more helpful (Slipperman includes a good - and funny - one).

TedEH likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

By the way, that DOES look good. I grabbed his Recording Secrets book as I think that's probably the more sensible place to start (I feel pretty good when it comes to guitars, but I'm always game to read more and for example the sample discussion on drums was great), and will move on to his Mixing one after that.

EDIT - and that's as someone who considers themselves fairly experienced and accomplished as a home recording engineer. There's always more to learn.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    LiveOVErdrive likes this.