Hipshot vs Schaller Hannes

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by steinmetzify, Mar 18, 2013.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Got a sick idea for another custom build....for those of you who've had both, which do you like better?

I have the Hipshot sitting here waiting to go on another guitar, but have had no experience with either, really....next build will be a hard tail as well.

Thoughts? Input? Thanks!

Scott

2. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

personally i would pick the one that looks the coolest. You cannot go wrong with the hipshot on any guitar. I would imagine that the hannes may look strange on certain guitars.

3. skisgaar

skisgaar Master-debatur

Is it a six string? Because Schaller don't make a 7 string Hannes. I have heard a lot of good things about both bridges though, and I personally love the look of the Hannes.

4. steinmetzify

LOL....valid point, dude. The Hipshot does look badass...

Yup, 6. I like the looks of the Hannes too, but the Hipshot looks so simple and cool.

Was just wondering about resonance, playability, hand placements, shit like that.

Thanks guys

5. Tyler

Tyler SS.org Regular

Ive heard the Hannes has more clarity, with it being its own piece of the bridge instead of all the strings being on a single piece.

6. Scattered Messiah

Scattered Messiah Kassandrian Dreams

from an engineer's / my point of view the hannes would be more interesting.

the concept of the bridge is cooler, imo.

However it's higher [if my memory serves], which would lead to complications like either recessing it or angling the neck or doing something to compensate the higher heigth.
    Plus Schaller has shown really stupid behaviour, concerning the bridge, so out of principle I'd go Hipshot.

7. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

I've had both in ash-bodied guitars (better point of reference) and I can't say that I noticed a measurable tonal difference. However, I much prefer the look and physical feel of the Hannes (more surface area to rest your hand on). If you can stomach the extra cost, I'd go for the Hannes.

8. explosivo

explosivo SS.org Regular

Pretty much this. You're getting into that black magic, voodoo territory when you start comparing tonality, but if you dig the way they look, go for the Hannes. I don't know of another bridge that's more comfortable to play on.

9. Crabface

Crabface SS.org Regular

Totally the hannes. So badass.

10. steinmetzify

I think the concept is cooler too, from a mechanical standpoint.

Cost wouldn't really be an issue here....and I dig more area to rest my hand on...I'm a fan of blocked Floyds...I never use em, but dig the hand placement.
    For reference, this would be going into a mahogany bodied guitar with an ebony top. Think it'd make a difference?

Comfort is always an issue Aaron.....might have to buy both and compare...can always put the other on a different guitar.

Thanks, guys...appreciate the thought put into your replies.

11. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Same here, I much prefer the aesthetic and feel of the Hannes. Not sure if there'd be any tonal difference but I doubt it.

12. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

I prefer the simple Hipshot. Less parts, built like a goddamn tank, lower profilfe and no giant screws mounting thru the body. Easy to obtain saddles of different material (brass, stainless, graphite, tusq), piezo saddles (6, 7 or 8 string). It's also less expensive. Pretty much a win across the board for me. Luthiers and companies use the Hipshot bridge because it's easy to install, maintain and it WORKS.

And it's not Schaller...which is a selling point right off the bat for me.

As for the Hannes having a "better sound" - i'll chalk that up to cork sniffing BS. If today's technology can duplicate a guitar sound that I have on a recorded track, i'm pretty sure the same device (axe, kemper or whatever) can be used to make up what you think you're missing.

13. AwDeOh

AwDeOh SS.org Regular

How do you mean SM?

How come Brian? I get the feeling there's something going on with their products that I'm not aware of..

Agreed with your points on tone, but I've been becoming a big fan of the Hannes aesthetically. If they'd just man up and make a 7 and 8 string version, I'd be pleased. I'm that anal retentive kinda guy that wants to have every last piece of hardware in a guitar from the same brand, rather than parts from multiple companies.

14. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

Brian's refering to Schallers tactics in the past leaving a bad taste in the mouth of luthiers. Darren made i beleive it was either a 7 or 8 string hannes using official hannes saddles with a custom made back peice and received a cease and desist from Schaller.

that being said DO NOT start down that discussion path on this thread as this is for someone else looking for a different bridge providing what they are looking for

15. Black Mamba

Black Mamba SS.org Regular

There will be a 7-string Hannes and 8-string Hannes bridge available this summer.

16. AwDeOh

AwDeOh SS.org Regular

Noted, thanks Sep.

17. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Let's sum up what happened with Schaller and Darren / Brian: Schaller paid for an exclusive license to the Hannes design and builds / sells the bridge. They have allowed a number of builders to make one-offs for custom instruments. Darren announced he was going to start making seven string versions as an option for the guitars he was building and selling. Schaller sent him a cease and desist letter telling him not to produce bridges using their exclusive design. Massive quantities of online bitching ensued. I believe the same thing happened to Jaden Rose building a fanned fret version of the bridge, with less online bitching as a result :lol:

Sorry folks, there is nothing wrong with a manufacturer protecting a design they paid for an exclusive license to. It's also getting a little old seeing people with obvious axes to grind badmouthing the bridge / company every time it comes up.

To address the OP, I have not played a Hannes myself yet, but everybody that's played one that I've seen comments from that didn't have an axe to grind has said they're pretty awesome. I plan to get a guitar with one in the future. As for the Hipshot, I've played them, they're solid bridges.

18. steinmetzify

Tech,

Thanks man....sounds like I can't go wrong with either....I dig the looks of the Hipshot a lot more...and I have one sitting on my desk right in front of me and I know it's a solid bastard.:lol: Thinking I'll buy both and see what happens.

Appreciate it!

19. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Cool, good luck with the build :yesway:

20. Gregori

Gregori SS.org Regular

If I was in your situation, I'd probably go with the hipshot just because you already have it. I don't feel like the differences between the 2 is really worth buying a new bridge. But if you're building a guitar that would just look so much better with the Schaller, then you might as well use it.