High output pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ZERO1, Sep 29, 2017.

1. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

So I was looking to put actives in my new sg, unfortunately there is not enough space for the components in the control cavity so that plan was scratched. Now i'm looking into high output passives that have similar characteristics to an active. I think these seem perfect for what I am looking for. https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/black-hawk . Let me know what you guys think and if you got any suggestions let me know thanks.

Blytheryn likes this.
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

blackhawks, warpigs, the new ragnaroks, elysian taps all pretty good.
    blackhawks are pretty good tho. I've yet to try a set myself but i've heard good things.

3. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Black hawks are my main choice, second choice being the nailbombs. But man are they super pricey... Is buying them direct the best to get the cheapest price possible?

4. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

This is crazy. Nobody even tried them and people are keep recommending these already. I think this hype machine thing just went way too far at this point.

5. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

No offense but do you have first hand experience will all of these pickups?

6. diagrammatiks

Man pickups aren't expensive and he's asking for a list of things to try. so I gave him a list of things to try. Is that a crime?

If someone asks for a list of good steak houses to try in new york..I'm going to list all the ones I've heard of.

For the record here is a list of pickups I've tried or owned, or heard at some point or another in no particular order.

BKP warpigs
    BKP Juggernauts
    BKP painkillers
    BKP nail bombs
    Bkp aftermath
    Bkp cold sweat
    Bkp rebel yell
    Bkp Sinners
    Bkp Piledrivers
    Bkp Pig90s
    Suhr Aldrich
    Suhr Ssv
    Anderson SF series
    Anderson SA series
    Anderson H series
    Anderson TD series
    Dimarzio Titans
    Dimarzio Steve Specials
    Dimarzio Gravity Storm
    Dimarzio Super Distortion
    Dimarzio Blaze
    Dimarzio Tonezone
    SD Sentient Nazghul
    SD Alpha Omega
    SD Jb/Jazz
    Duncan Distortion
    SD P-Rails
    Some Fralin and Lollar low output singles I can't remember because low output who cares
    PRS 3 or 4 sets of things I can't remember because their names are just numbers or random
    Manlius Studbuckers
    Wolfetone Fenris
    BG Smokestack
    The entire guitar force lineup that no longer exists
    Motorckty the Nuke
    Lace whatever is in the strandberg

That isn't even a fraction of all the pickups that exist right now. But, pickups aren't expensive and if someone asks hey what are some things I should research...I'm going to give them a list of things that they should research.
    I didn't say that I played all of them. I didn't say that they were the best fucking things ever. But, I gave someone a list of suggestions to go look into so they can make their own decisions. If they have this exhaustive list in mind already they wouldn't have asked the question to begin with.

tl:dr ples hype police. sthap behing triggered.

7. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

Pickups are not expensive?! The Ragnarok 7 string set costs 300 Euros, which is pretty expensive for just trying out the thing. You're missing the point. Your not recommending a good stake house in New York. You're recommending a stake house that has just opened and nobody had the chance to try the food there yet.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Beheroth and lewis like this.
  8. diagrammatiks

people can make their own decisions. If the op asked hey is the ragnarok awesome. and everyone was like ya they are fucking awesome. That's an entirely different discussion.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Eurgh. Sadly this idea is way to common on here. Like I swear most on here must be billionaires.

"This guitar is only $4000, Im pre ordering one right now"?

oh yeah me too?/.. lol I will take 10..

10. diagrammatiks

It's 300 bucks on something that because of hype will lose only around 50 bucks going by the juggernaut market. If you buy used they lose nothing. That's as close to ideal for a stable liquid assets as you can possibly get.

11. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

This got off track quickly... Let's get back on track. Sooo black hawks? any other suggestions?

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

What qualities/sounds do you want from the pickups specifically? Do you want a more metal oriented pickup, or something more versatile?
    If you're looking for pickups that are marketed as acting like active pickups then d-activators, lace drop and gains and Duncan duality pups are options.

13. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Yes for the bridge pick up. More metal oriented. So I like with clarity, tightness, power and punch. Well for the bridge pick up. For the neck pick up. I do like it to be a bit warmer. From the description the black hawks fit the bill, but I am not to familiar with bk pick ups. And sure a lot of you have tried many other pick ups, so its always nice hearing different options.

14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

You could try the SD Blackout Modular Preamp with your favourite passive PUs.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

BK Miracle Man is another options as well. Designed to emulated a EMG 85/81 set, but passive.

16. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

That's neat!

17. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I have no personal experience with it but, I've read that some EMG users enjoy the Anvil pickup from Railhammer

18. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Some folks replace the SG 3 way switch with a smaller switchcraft switch so they can fit an active wiring/battery in there.

19. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Yeah I think you are right man. I think I can fit one in there. It just wont be fishmans. Since the push pull pots wont fit correctly. can you send me a link to the switchcraft switch you would recommend?

Edit: Would this one work? http://www.emgpickups.com/parts/switches/switches/3-pos-toggle.html

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  20. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

The Dimarzio Evolution and D-Activator, I can say from personal experience, will get you in the ballpark of EMG's 85 and 81, respectively, just, obviously with passive dynamics.

Granted I've never done a back-to-back test, but I distinctly remember swapping the 85 set out of my RG for an Evo/Air Norton set and, once I threw some compression on it, I realised I was basically getting the same sound, or at least, not the big discernible change to my tone I was hoping for at the time...