High gain distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

The G3 has a lot of USABLE gain, and one of the best tone sweeps I've ever used on a pedal of this type. The good reviews I see this pedal getting are not unwarranted.

BlueTrident and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Thanks Coalshack.

I'm dicking around with the CB after reading some reviews on The Gear Page. Apparently, the gain slowly increases up to 3:00, and then gets into high gain. Knowing that makes it much more useful, though I think it'd be nice if the gain started to pile on more a bit sooner.

3. BranchDavidian

BranchDavidian SS.org Regular

I bought the purple rev G3 pedal. Its the best high gain pedal ive come across. Highly recommended. I just a/b/y tested it with a tight metal jr and tightmetal pro. The rev sounds better. But has no built in noise gate youll need a noise suppressor

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Deadpool_25 likes this.
  4. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

That was pretty much my experience as well.

5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Just don't let the noose get loose and you won't need to suppress it.

6. BranchDavidian

BranchDavidian SS.org Regular

How the hell else am i supposed to juice my goose?

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I use one of my overdrives into a $30 Eno Crunchbox clone and its pretty fun into a clean channel.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  8. Carl Kolchak

I found I didn't need a noise gate at all, as the G3 was really very quiet even with the gain maxed out on the Red Channel.

Go figure...

9. Deadpool_25

Cool. If that had been my experience I definitely would have kept it. Great sounding pedal.

10. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Damn All of You. Now i HAVE to buy and try this Revv pedal. If i will do so, i will report with my comparison between my other fav distortions: Strymon Riverside, Friedman BE-OD, Tech21 OMG and AMT D2. BUT now i am waiting for PRS MT15 to come. If it will be good enough it will cure my GAS...for few months. Damn ALL of YOU ;)

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  11. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

At least the Suhr Riot mini that I've been looking at pulling the trigger on everyday wasn't mentioned enough for me to order it. :facepalm:

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  12. Deadpool_25

I have the Riverside and BE-OD. Both are really good. The BE-OD has a small extra bit of clarity when in a direct comparison with the Riverside but the Riverside is very underrated imo.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  13. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Yeah, but when You set prescence to high on the Riverside, it becomes a metal monster. It has very dynamic, deep yet tight low end. But i hate the mid freq. BE-OD has perfect mids, but it doesn’t have that low lows imho. It can get muddy while Riverside won’t. BTW I have Riverside connected to AMT mini expression pedal to heel-toe morphing between two settings. It is seriously cool feature. Plus fav switch that enables fav setting in other pedal like DIG. This way i can have 3 presets with one that changes preset in other pedal.

14. Deadpool_25

Yeah I agree. I set the presence to high and bump the treble up a bit and it's definitely an excellent high gain tone. Like you said its lows don't get too muddy. The BE-OD does have great mids and can get a bit muddy, but I find it responds pretty well to an OD in front. I also love the expression feature. I have a dunlop mini expression pedal I use to morph between a pushed clean and a pretty gainy crunch tone, then my favorite is a very high gain metal tone. Pretty sweet function. However, I don't love the sweep on the dunlop. It's kinda touchy. I just got the AMT R2 in and haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm going to do so tomorrow.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  15. Deadpool_25

Ok so I fired up the AMT R2 and it, like the Revv, seems very noisy. The BE-OD isn’t nearly as noisy. And the BE is controllable with a noise gate behind it. The R2...not so much. Check this out. Does this seem normal?

16. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

The BE-OD is pretty noisy for me, needs a gate. My R2 isn’t really noisy at all though. I do keep the gain at about half though, and then boost if I want some more sharpness in the attack and saturation. Then again, I only use the preamp-out into a power amp, I don’t use the drive-out.

The ISP Theta is really great if you want a built in noise gate. It has an ISP Decimator II built in and works amazingly. It is a quiet pedal, unless you set it up with the clean channel boosting the front end of the gain channel, then it is noisy as fuck. The gate can be set to cut all that noise but at that point you’re setting the gate extremely tight. Which is fine if you’re into that.

It’s a preamp but the eq is extremely flexible so I don’t doubt you could use it as a distortion pedal, you’d just need some... unconventional settings. The clean channel is also super transparent with a real wide range on the eq knobs, so it also works great as a pedal platform.

17. Carl Kolchak

Also, the G3 doesn't sound like it's trying to be anything else. It's got it's own thing going, which, depending on what you're looking to achieve sonically, will either be a plus or a minus for you.

18. Deadpool_25

That’s interesting. I also tried using the preamp out into the Katana FX loop but the noise is still present. I wonder if there’s something wrong with this R2.

The type of noise is also an issue. The BE-OD’s noise is more of the high frequency hiss that is common in high gain amps. The R2’s is more like loud pink noise where it’s up and down the spectrum, affecting even low frequencies.

I will try putting the R2 by itself into the fx loop of one of my tube amps with nothing else in the chain to see if the noise is still present that way.

I think @bulb Horizon Devices is doing a high gain pedal with built in gate that looks like it’ll be usable as a preamp or as a dirt pedal. Won’t be out for a while but I may have to check that out.

19. Deadpool_25

Okay so I tried simplifying the chain:

Guitar > R2 in > R2 preamp out > Invective FX Return 1

Sounds fantastic, very reasonable noise levels.

Then tried:

Guitar > R2 in > R2 drive out > Invective input

Also sounds fantastic, maybe a little less high end than using the preamp output. Again, totally acceptable noise level.

Then back in one of the HX Effects loops and the noise is back. The HX is in 4cm right now and the noise is fine without the pedal(s) engaged. It basically feels like the HX Effects is amplifying....ugh...I think I need to test something else....standby...

Edit: Nope. I tried changing the send/return levels for those loops on the HX Effects and that didn’t fix it either really. The HX’s loops is seeming to amplify the noise in this setup. Again, more testing needed.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  20. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Ahh so the Revv probably wasn’t noisy either.

About the tone though. Did you like the R2 or the Revv more?

Deadpool_25 likes this.