help me find a bedroom amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kurt CoBrainmatter, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:24 PM.

1. Kurt CoBrainmatter

Kurt CoBrainmatter SS.org Regular

okay so i do not want to spend that much on an amp head as i am also looking to get a 2x12 cab for the head...so i do not want to get a combo amp...looking for something low watts good cleans and has an effects loop trying not to spend to much more than $500 bucks

i have been looking at OR15 and the peavey 6505 mh both in my price range in the used market
    I do not know ehat do you guys think

2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Those two are rather different amps. What kind of tones do you want covered with that amp? What features do you need?

3. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I would pick up a dark terror. That’s a happy medium between those two amps in my opinion (sound wise). It was my favorite tube amp for the brief time i owned it. I would scoop up another one, in a heartbeat.

However, from a pure functionality standpoint, I’d go with the 6505. More versatile, more features, more channels. Kick-ass bedroom workhorse.

cGoEcYk likes this.
  4. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

In my experience the dark terror is way too loud for a bedroom amp. I had one in my apartment when i lived alone and i rarely got it over 1 on the master. Even then it didn't sound as good as it's supposed to. The same is true for the OR15, which i also owned at one point.
    I had a Valveking MH (or whatever it's called) two years ago and in the 1 watt mode i could play it fine (with tolerably good sound) out of a 2x12 in a room directly above my sons bedroom while he was asleep. From that experience i atleast know what i would choose, and that's the 6505MH.

I also had a Randall RD5 and that sounded really good at whatever volume i put it on. Sold it because i don't like one knob eq's.

I have had a lot of stuff. :p

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I had an RD5 and though it was great as well, but I agree with the eq knob statement.

6. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

Micro Dark Terror sounds like what you are looking for. I have that and a OR15. I think the OR15 sounds pretty good at lower volumes with a TS in front. I have been thinking about selling my Orange stuff to try out some other stuff. If you have any questions, let me know. MD-1.jpg OR15-1.jpg

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I've seen used EVH 5150 III 50 watt heads for around $550. Though they are 50 watt heads, they have this neat feature called a "volume knob" for when you need to play at bedroom volumes. They also have this nifty feature called "headroom" for when you need pristine cleans at above whisper volumes.

8. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

I can vouch for the EVH as well, also have one of those. It really does sound great at low levels. All depends on what you are looking for tone-wise and if you can find one in your budget.

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

If you can find a used EVH 50 in you price range, I would definitely go with that way before the other options. I played one at a shop fairly recently and it sounded great at low volume.

10. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Try a Boss Katana. 5w for bedroom use to 100w for the br00tz.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  11. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

+1. It wipes the floor with the LBX at all volume levels. Beats all the low-watt lunchbox amps I've ever tried, for that matter.

Low wattage doesn't mean diddly when you get your high-gain tone from the preamp. I play at "bedroom" volumes all the time with a 120 watt head through a 4 X 12 cab. And it sounds awesome. Of course, it also sounds awesome when I set it to "shake the house."

12. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Same here, I always use my 100 watt head with my 4x12 at bedroom volumes. I don't have a reason for a small low wattage amp when my big boy amp can cover all my bases.

Also, the lunch box heads are cool and all and have some nice features but I've yet to play an el-84 amp that I really jived with.

13. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

If the OP is looking for good cleans as well, the EVH 5150 50w I have definitely has the Oranges beat. It really is an amazing amp for the money and even if it's a little bit more, it's leaps and bounds better than the Oranges as a overall package. But, if the Orange sound is what your looking for, then you can't substitute for that.

14. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

For bedroom tones, turn the master volume down, and scoop your mids (1k).

Your ears hear less lows and highs at low volumes. This is why older stereos have a "loudness" knob, which is basically just a 1kHz band control.

Metal amps get all their crunch from the preamp, so a 100w power amp running quiet isn't really any worse than a 5w at the same volume.

But I mean if you just WANT a little lunchbox amp I totally get it. The GAS is real.

Trashgreen and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  15. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

TLDR:
    If I was looking for a cheap but good sounding amp head I would look at Laney Ironheart 60 or Jet City Amelia.

I have played the Amelia and it sounded pretty damn good for metal. I have only heard clips of the Laney but that sounded pretty sweet too. Both have Loops and with the wattage they offer you can still play with a band if needed.

The Laney's go for like $500-$600 used and the Jet City is $500 new.

I would 2nd the Katana but also this:

This is my UNpopular opinion. So many guitarist say 100w tube amps sound like shit at bedroom levels and all of that.

I completely disagree. Yeah, I get it...There is nothing like cranking up the amp to get the tubes cooking, especially when the amp relies on the power amp saturation or whatever BUT I have had a few high gain 100-120w tube amps that sound just fine at bedroom levels. Quite good actually.

My question would be are you in a band? Do you ever intend to play with a drummer UNmiked?

If yes and if you can only afford 1 amp then get something that can get loud if you need it to. A 5w RD is not going to cut it at band practice or live if it is not miked.

If you never intend on gigging or playing live then what is wrong with a combo? Obviously it is your choice but there is nothing wrong with a combo. I have the 5150 2x12. It will never leave my basement ever but it sounds killer at low and high volumes.

Anyway those are just my thoughts and suggestions.

16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

How good an amp sounds at low volume depends largely on how good a master volume it has. For example I liked my Diezel Einstein (50W 1x12 combo) and Egnater Tourmaster (100W + 2x12 cab) just fine turned down.

That said, I still feel a good modeler sounds even better at low volumes than any tube amp can. Of the cheaper ones the Yamaha THR and Boss Katana stuff are good choices. I use an Axe-Fx 2 thru studio monitors and I've never been happier with my tone at home.

With combos I would not get anything bigger than 1x12, the weight can get pretty back breaking and the size is awkward. A 1x12 is perfectly fine for home. If you really want then a head and separate 2x12 cab mostly because you can mix and match different speakers for cool tones, I used to have a V30/G12H-100 combination that complemented each other really nicely. Anything bigger is wasted at home.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  17. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

FWIW since you mentioned it, I really like my 6505MH and have been able to get really good tones at bedroom levels (and beyond).

Just for reference, I live in a small-ish apartment with two other people and recently one of them walked into my room and said, "What? You have an amp in here? You must never play because I've never heard anything..." In reality I'm playing daily so I'm pretty confident you can get some sweet tones (I boost mine with the Horizon PD) without blowing up where you live. (as I'm sure all of you guys already knew) Not to say it can't get stupid loud as well...

Hope that helps.

18. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I got the 6505MH too. It really is fun at that 1w setting. It can get real quiet and like television volume. Then I got the Katana head too, which I can plug to my cab and play at 5w settings or play by itself with that 30w built in speaker. Good thing with Katanas is they have decent built in overdrives that sound nice at bedroom levels. I bought the Katana because I have a baby incoming and it would be nice just to lug the head by itself and practice somewhere in the house without waking the little one up.

Then I have the big boy 6505+ head. I don't know what bedroom levels you guys are talking about but this thing is still loud. Halfway through volume 1 and I am louder than the television. But yes, you can practice with it a bit quiet(er). My technique is to take down resonance and presence down to zero. Most of the amp's loudness is down to those master knobs. Take it down to zero and you are just playing with the preamp.

Fact is, The Katana sounds better than both at bedroom levels. The Lead channel is 5150-like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 12:27 PM
    rahnvu likes this.
  19. Kurt CoBrainmatter

Kurt CoBrainmatter SS.org Regular

Okay so I have an evh 3 50 watt head and 2x12 cab this is for something with a different sound and feel maybe more of a vintage rock/metal sound which is why I was thinking the or15....I was looking at the Jim root head is that the same head as the or15 just with a higher gain settings or are they today different heads all together

Just cause I know some one will ask I love my evh just want something sonicly different

thank you for all of your replies

20. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

They are a little different. There is a video on YouTube playing them back to back. My OR15 has Mullard RI el84s and ehx v1/v2 . Stock jj for the loop and a mullard ri for the PI. Gives it a more vintage tone, lowers the gain a tad.