Help me decide my guitar finish! (I hope)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Wolfos, Apr 4, 2018.

What should I finish my guitar?!?!?

1. Au Natural

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Deep Ocean

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. Bengal Burst

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Skervesen Custom Red

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. Classic Trans Black

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Hey guys,

As I have stated in other threads, I have started a new build with skervesen, this time a multiscale 6 string raptor.

With all of the other options raising the price on the build (carved top, multiscale, neck woods etc.) I've decided to go with a AAAA flamed maple top which has no extra upcharge. I like the look of a good flamed maple top anyway and you can stain it whatever you want... which is my dilemma I don't know which colour I like most!

Please help me decide by voting on which one you like best above! Hopefully this helps me pick because my wife is no help to me, she just keeps rolling her eyes saying "you said it was your last guitar 3 guitars ago!"

If it helps you decide, I am having all black hardware and zebra bobbin pickups (black and cream) and it will have a Pau Ferro board.

Here are the colour options I'm losing sleep over. (I understand not all examples have flamed tops but results should be relatively the same)

#1 Au Natural
    [​IMG]
    #2 Deep Ocean
    [​IMG]
    #3 Bengal Burst
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    #4 Skervesen Custom Red
    [​IMG]
    #5 Classic Transparent Black
    [​IMG]
    Or
    [​IMG]

2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

Colors are like flavors...tough call. Personally I like the Skervesen red, it seems to be the most eye-catching IMO

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Pau Ferro fretboards look really good with red/orange finishes.

4. NateFalcon

I totally agree

5. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

To me they're all eye catching unfortunately lol. Which is why I thought this might help, my only musical friend thinks all guitars need to be purple so hes no help to me.

geoffstgermaine likes this.
  6. NateFalcon

Transparent black would be my second choice but there’s a lot of depth and character with that particular red

7. NateFalcon

I don’t know if you play live but that red would also look cool under stage lights

8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Love the bengal burst. Sort of a modern take on a somewhat traditional burst. Would look just as good with gold gibson knobs and classic type hardware as well as modern stuff.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

The bengal burst caught my attention because I was going to buy a suhr Bengal burst, but Skervesen offered the options I was looking for.

10. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

My 2 favourite colors happen to be Red and Black so this may very well be the one I choose but I have so many red and black things in my house I might lean towards something different.

NateFalcon likes this.
  11. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

No offense meant, but I will never understand asking others for what you want in a custom guitar. You have to live with this thing so it should be an obvious decision.

Ask for some photoshops to get a better idea, rub one out*, then everything should be clear.

*not suggesting to shine it to the photos of guitars, but that's up to your discretion.

KnightBrolaire and Wolfos like this.
  12. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I made this thread for a few reasons, one being just for fun to see what other people thought really, I'm always interested to see what other people are into on here.

Thing is I love all 5 of these finishes so it's not an easy decision but I will be happy to end up with any one of these, if I had the money I would take them all really.

In the end, if one colour gets the most votes it does not mean I am sworn to choose that colour for my guitar, this is just for fun but if it helps me in the end then great.

13. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Of course, as said, no offence meant and most of my post was meant as a masturbation joke.

that being said, with that board choice I would go natural. If you came to your senses and got a maple board, I would go see through black.

14. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I do love the look of a good maple board but I have had a bad history with them I enjoy playing rosewood/pau ferro & ebony much more.

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I don't know, I guess for me I'd pick the red, though it really depends on the figuring of the maple and how brown the pau ferro is.
    If the pau ferro is fairly brown I'd go with the bengal.
    i would say pau ferro works best aesthetically with bengal, natural or trans black. Personally I'd go for an ebony or maple board for the ocean or custom red finishes.

16. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I was hoping for a very dark Pau Ferro to be honest, I could easily ask for ebony it's a very minimal upcharge but my 7 from them has ebony and I just wanted something a bit different.

17. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

#4, because red always looks good on a guitar.

18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I have a read skervesen with a Pau ferro board. it's ok. Pau ferro is just so brown tho.

19. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

As of right now I have my order from saying Bengal Burst with zebra bobbins. The fellows at Skerv seemed to think the cut of wood would look best in either the Blue or Bengal to make the flame pop.

20. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

It's ok? Do you mean to play on or for looks?