Help! Amp is to loud but sounds best loud.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BurningRome, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Went from 100 dB to 96 dB speakers and I don't find the whole lower sensitivity speaker thing changed much. Just my experience; YMMV. Tried it with my Germino Club 40 (Non-master JMP 50 clone) and really made no perceivable difference in volume or ability to get into break up sooner as I was led to believe.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

So basically you want exactly what an attenuator does.... I mean, like, the disctionary definition... but you don't want an attenuator? And your reason is because "you might as well buy another amp at that point"?

[​IMG]

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Yeah, it's pretty much the only worthwhile option that doesn't require permanent modification to the amp.

USMarine75 likes this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Yup, plus it's the closest you can get to a cranked power tube distortion based amp, other than buying those speakers with built in attenuators. Older Fender designs (Bassman, Reverb, Princeton, etc) don't get their distortion mainly from the preamp circuit, like a 5150 does, so a PPIMV doesn't really help the way people think it will. It ignores speakers and power tube saturation, and only enhances the preamp saturation, which in Fenders isn't all that great and not what people are looking for when they want that "cranked Bassman sound".

Spaced Out Ace likes this.