Having trouble finding a used Custom 24. Should I get a CE 24 instead?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by pfizer, Apr 4, 2018.

1. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Hello all, hope everyone's good.

I've been on the hunt for a used PRS Custom 24 for a while now and it's been a little tricky one that ticks off all my boxes (color, pattern thin neck, relatively affordable).

I began looking at some of the other options, namely a CE 24 and I'm just wondering if any of y'all have experience with the guitar, how it compares to a Custom 24 and SE 24, etc.

The CE 24 is sort of a weird beast because it's much more expensive than the well-lauded SE series but quite a bit more affordable than the Custom 24. It's really sort of confusing trying to figure out if its worth the splurge over an SE or if it's worth waiting to take the leap to a Custom 24.

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm not in the market for a PRS, but when I think about if I were, this is also my own question.

3. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

You can find like new custom 24's for around $2500 US. I think at that price they are worth the extra $500. If you pay full new price of around $4000 well I don't think you are getting twice the guitar for the money.

I don't think the bolt on neck makes that big of a difference, but aesthetically the custom 24 has a much more pronounced arch top than the CE24. In pictures its not that obvious but in person I think the C24's look much better and more expensive.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the older ce24s are basically just bolt on custom 24s. They have the same top carve and the sunken control panel routes. The used ones I've seen for sale mostly have dots.

the newer ce24s kinda belong to the s2 line. they have a different top carve and flat control routes and use the same asian hardware as the s2 line. They do have birds though.

personally, I'd get an older ce24.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What exactly does "affordable" mean here?

There are about 20 CU24s on Reverb under $2k, none of them the right color?

JSanta likes this.
  6. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Not so much the color but the neck -- I'm not too fond of pattern regulars or wide fat necks.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Most of the ones I mentioned have either a Pattern Thin or Wide/Thin.

I've actually been on the hunt for a particular PRS as well, a solid color model with a Standard/Regular neck, and have been having a hell of a time finding one. :lol: