having difficulty grasping exactly what modern metal tone is

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by soldierkahn, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Then you should listen to one the Will Putney productions like kublai khan or knocked loose.
    Definitely modern tone, but not at all high-passed or quacky.
    As one example of many.

Theres more than just one "modern tone".

2. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Sweeps and Chuggs

So what is scooping mids now days? Does anyone/any band actually scoop the mids. Ive always took mids out not to 0 or anything crazy. But the mids all the way up quack sound is weird to me. Surely I’m not the only person who actually like to drop mids down to 4 or 5.

3. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

modern metal tone

Gate-tubescreamer-5150-mesacab-v30speakers

you got this fam

4. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

I think a lot of metal producers using a Recto or 5150 keep the B/M/T around either 6/6/6 or 6/4/6. Basically, "more" of the amp's signature sound with a slight mid boost or notch.

That's because a LOT of the other tone shaping is done outside of the amp. You pre-EQ with a fixed EQ pedal like VFE Focus or Fortin Blade/33/Grind. You can do more and add gain with a Tube Screamer-esque boost.

If you want a more scooped tone, use a Greenback/Creamback filled cab. If you want a more mid-heavy tone, then go with an all V30 cab. Dynamic mics will make the whole thing brighter. Ribbon mics tend to roll off highs and increase bass. And so on and so forth....

5. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Nowadays, there are so many genres that each one has its own signature tone/style/sound and even then you have to consider sub-genres. The OP mentioned that he was an 80s kid, should we consider Possessed and Manilla Road to have had the same sound?
    Unless he want the representative sound of our current era, in which case we should logically see the djent one and work from there. It all depends on what metal band you are working with in the production booth.

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Contributor

When I think "modern metal" I think of two main categories:

^ Scooped-ish mids, bass not rolled off, compressed, not dry. Crushing guitar tones.

or

^ Low tuning, highly processed, added mids and rolled off bass. Guitars (IMO) usually sound weak when not in a band mix.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  7. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Does the guitar sound GREAT isolated while playing? = Metal

Does the Guitar sound like Ice piercing shit with Mid so high that the Low E almost sound like the High E? = Modern Metal

Im joking of course but I'm also not that far from truth either and if the OP was a 80's/90's child then Scooped Mids are the way to go :D

MerlinTKD and KailM like this.
  8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

It still happens, though a lot of "modern metal" amps are very mid heavy so the effect is less so.

Even if you're scooping with EQ's now you can still boost the high mids, it gives you a sort of scooped sound with the low end all growly but still present and clear.

For example I just got new profiles on my Kemper, I use a very mid focused and tight Cab Response and I pull the mids down on the amp EQ bringing up the Treble and Presence, and the Bass but not enough to get muddy. BUT Live I'll add my mids back in as the crowd soaks up the midrange and I'd rather be heard easily.

Scooped still has it's place in death metal tones but as far as Pantera scoop goes it's long gone.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  9. efiltsohg

efiltsohg Well-Known Member

this but quad-tracked

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  10. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Single-tracked DI, quantized, then run through a doubler VST a couple of times to minutely adjust pitch and timing to not mask/cancel when panned, reamped through and AFX four time.

Fortunately somewhere in the last 15-20 years producers were able to convince guitarists that if they're tone sound amazeballs when nobody else is playing, it's probably getting buried when the band comes in without insane volume.

11. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Modern metal tones are really just a summation of everything that has come before them plus some tweaks occasionally. I can't say modern metal tone to someone and them know what I mean. I have to use band/artist references to lead them into an area.

12. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Is this really easier than recording a track 4 times in a row and acceptable result-wise?
    I understand it can lead to a more cold/clinical mix overall but sometimes that's desirable.

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

It's definitely faster if the engineer knows what they're doing, I wouldn't personally go that route though. IME if the music has even reasonable high tempos quad tracking is not going to get better results that double tracking and reamping each side through a different amp/sim than the original track to fill any missing frequency space.

LeviathanKiller likes this.