having difficulty grasping exactly what modern metal tone is

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by soldierkahn, Apr 14, 2019.

1. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

Im a child of the mid to tail end of the 80s, flowered during the 90s musically, and have been deep into music production ever since, but im struggling to understand exactly what manufacturers and musicians are talking about when they say "modern metal" tone. I struggle because the "classic" metal i see as EVH with his Peavey 5150...... but then a crapton of bands that are defined as having modern metal tone use these same amps or slightly modified (ie Bulbs Invective, the 6505/6505+ you see everywhere, etc) versions of the same amp.

Its making it a real pain in the ass when im shopping for a better amp than ive got now, when the descriptions are losing me lol. I know im posting in one of the most controversial forums for music, but i figured i wouldnt be murdered too harshly for asking an honest question lol.

2. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

what type of modern metal? nu metal? scooped mids and more bass.

djent? crank the high mids, cut all the bass, then go to your barber and ask for an undercut

NAACP Man, MerlinTKD, RoRo56 and 11 others like this.
  3. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

The amps are the same Is just the mixing/production that Is slightly different due to the ERG being used in every band.

soldierkahn and MetalHex like this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

Modern metal tone is whatever you feel like it to be. The 80's and most of the 90's had the mids scooped, by late 2000's, the mids got up a little and adding ERG guitars to the mix, bass EQ got lower because the guitar was entering the bass territory.

I feel it in my band, I play a 7 string and the bass player said in the past that I was entering his territory and mudding everything to the point that he couldn't hear himself. We are a 2 piece instrumental band where guitar and bass have different melody/rhythm/harmonic lines. If I enter his sonic territory, the music suffers.

So, to me, modern metal goes along with what the Djent movement brought up to the table, but not that extreme. Sometimes the Djent tones sound too harsh, with too much gain and over compressed to me. I like things a little more loose. Is that modern? I don't give a fuck, I'm doing what I like and what works for the band's sounds and tones.

Exchanger and soldierkahn like this.
  5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Just buy a 5150.

6. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Agree with lure, i think what determines modern metal tone has more to do with the production of said recorded tone.

Misha is part for the modern metal tone crowd right? Doesnt he endorse basically a 5150 with more led's on it?

soldierkahn likes this.
  7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I would have said it was defined as something high-passed and mid-boosted to all quackery.

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

It's whatever sounds good.

Misha uses Peavey. Josh Middleton uses modded Marshalls. Tosin has been using a Morgan amp's clean channel with pedals. John Browne uses Hughes and Kettner. Ola Englund uses Satan. Voyager use Mesa. The Contortionist use Mesa. KSE use Laney. Everyone uses Axe/Kemper/Helix.

You can use whatever you want and you'll get a good sound if you know how to EQ for different situations, at home, recording, rehearsal, live.

All the magic happens in the production.

9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

At this point, the term doesn’t have much meaning anymore, because there is still so much diversity in tones that ‘modern’ metal bands use.

I would say “modern” metal tones and production roughly began in the late 90s with bands like Machine Head and then metalcore bands. Mid-era In Flames as well. The main element is actually the recording production, not so much the guitar tone.

As opposed to death metal, bands began using less gain and less bass/more mids and quad-tracking to add thickness. The entire mix was given more careful consideration to make sure everything sat together and complimented each other. The bass guitar took on a much bigger role, filling in the low end that was missing from the guitars, at least to some extent. Certainly, there were some great sounding records in the metalcore scene.

Moving forward ten years or so, and some of those same concepts morphed even further. The idea that guitar tones had to be ultra tight, and that every instrument in the mix must be heard clearly, saw guitar players removing even more bass from their tone and gating their signal more heavily. At the same time, it was thought that the lower one tuned, the heavier the music. The problem there is that standard guitar equipment cannot reproduce low-end fundamental frequencies with the clarity these guys demanded. So low end continued to be filtered out and mids were added. Too much gain got in the way of clarity, so that was heavily controlled as well.

And at this point in time, the guitar tones most “metal” musicians go for closely resemble the sound Donald Duck makes when he scolds Hewie, Dewie, and Lewie.

Thankfully, not all bands subscribed to that nonsense.

Necky379, TGN, mikah912 and 8 others like this.
  10. soldierkahn

damn guys, thanks for all the replies. this helps a ton!!!!

11. soldierkahn

i know that im openeing a can of worms, but ive got plenty of scars already so ill be okay lol. I like I Prevail's tasteful use of this "Djent" tone in "One More Time" right after their choruses as well as the song "Lifelines".... just a hint of Djent. I have other bands i like that use the tone more prominently like Architects, but even with Architects, he used a 5150/6505 a lot.

Im not trying to take a single sound anymore, im trying to take the parts i like from the genres i listen to and apply it to my own writing. Now that Ive got some pretty damn clear and punchy pickups, its time to get into amps and recording equipment so I can start recording again. So far im running all 27" scale with either Fishmans, Lundgrens, or BKPs in each lol.

12. soldierkahn

what do yu mean by quakery?

13. Vyn

That was me poking fun at the current trend of boosting the mids so much that it sounds more like a duck quacking than an actual guitar tone.

14. soldierkahn

dont mean to be annoying, could you give me a solid example so i can hear it?

15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

16. Vyn

soldierkahn likes this.
  17. soldierkahn

i hear that quacking you were referencing now

18. gunch

gunch chungus

This is a good example of thin, mid present, quacky tone

Compare to CMC's more mid scooped "00's metalcore" tone bc it was only drop B

19. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Modern metal tone is mostly just more dry/less distorted and mixed to stay out of the way of the rest of instruments while still staying present in the music by having a higher high-pass and a boost in the upper mids wherever the vocals aren't.

20. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I still think the Master of Puppets, Sehnsucht , and Something Wicked are my favourite metal tones.