Harley Benton FanFret FBB 2018 DLX, Help appreciated

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Geraldo7, Apr 14, 2018.

1. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

So Bareknuckle Pickups measured the angle of your base plate wrong?

Geraldo7 likes this.
  2. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Well, not really. The baseplate HAS in fact a 13 degree rhomboid, BUT the cavity itself has sth in the ballpark of 14, but no big deal, i did not have to drive to the expensive expert-techs in munich, my local tech could do it on short notice. It is a Harley Benton after all, cheap guitar, made in Vietnam. I knew that i had to invest money for a tech, because i am not able to do it myself. You cannot see the slight work on the cavity. I am quite happy with the guitar and the work of Bareknuckles. Especially the customer service is very good.

3. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Ah, i forgot to tell you that the Juggernaut's base plate cannot be made smaller, because the wirings are so close to the edge. Maybe with a different PU even this small problem will disappear, so yeah, 13 degrees seems to be the correct information, if some of you guys want to test a different pickup and make the change yourself. You could even use the old base plate, but for the Juggernaut it is a tiny bit too small.

This is what i was told from customer service on the phone.

4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Well that's weird with the different angles...

Geraldo7 likes this.
  5. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Yes, it is. I am so happy that i could sort it out in a way that worked. Ben from Bareknuckles was helpful, but i had to send the original PU to the headquarter in Cornwall. But now, because i was the guinea pig concerning this guitar, you guys can rest assured: the base plates have an angle of 13 degrees. And that is bad news, because you guys won't be able to one-click-order PUs with those specs anywhere on the planet and will have to get them customised. Correct me if I am wrong. But the Juggernaut was worth the wait, really. ;)

6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

meh... I don't know if it is worth such trouble and money.

I think I'm going to my luthier to tell him to rewire the pickups, that probably is a cheaper option than sending to BKP and all the extra charge it requires. Plus, I talked to them and they seemed a bit reluctant to get into those complications. I got bored and stop considering going BKP after they asked me about calculating myself the degree of slanting. They charge you depending on that degree, over 10 or up to that inclination.

Geraldo7 likes this.
  7. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Yup, a lot of time and money went into this guitar. Would have been cheaper to buy a used baritone on reverb. I am happy though. Bareknuckles now know that 13 degrees are working, me being the guinea pig. And yes, they charge extra for the baseplate, but iirc it is 24 pounds always, not dependent on the slant degree, they can go up to 16 with their machine.

But anyway, please tell us the result of the rewiring. I did not know that such an option exists. My verdict on this guitar will follow as a short vid on YouTube, but i have to say that it is my third Harley Benton and the first one that required so much input in money, time and patience.

8. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

What tuning are you playing this in?

Geraldo7 likes this.
  9. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

I tried those strings this time: D’Addario EXL158 {013, 017, 026, 036, 046, 062}

I play 'em in "Standard B" or "Drop_A", both work well with this gauge.

Djentlover666 likes this.
  10. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

I'm thinking buying this guitar but tuning it to drop c.

Geraldo7 likes this.
  11. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Hi there. Well, i am no expert, really not. But with the strings it comes with this won't work imho. Ofcourse it is possible, but with this fan fret design, i really dont know whether this would make sense. i play in dropC with a standard strat with no issues at all and bought this for B_Standard. Plus the Pickups were really bad, so changing costs time and money. idk