Harley Benton FanFret FBB 2018 DLX, Help appreciated

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Geraldo7, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Hi there everrrrrrybody,

my name is Geraldo. I am from Germany. The HB guitar above is my third ERG guitar and surprisingly the best. (I have sold the two Ibanez i bought, the apex munky and a seven string).

The guitar feels extremely good. A tech gave it a tuning and improved the nut. We changed the strings to D'Addarios 14-68 and it is already a monster now! The tuning is a pain in the .... though.

I have searched the internet back and forth and tried to speak to a tech and phoned thomann. To no avail. You guys here are my last resort. I plan to improve further on this guitar as it feels really good and sounds okay, if only the tuning issues were not present and if only i could find a replacement for the bridge pickup which is terrible!!! (The neck pickup is not my favourite position anyway and sounds surprisingly good.)

Now my questions:

1.) Thomann does not know their own guitar. BareKnuckles PRESUME that the angle of the slanted stock pickups "should be" ten degrees. Well, it is not. Does someone know the correct measures? I think it is eleven degrees or sth in this ballpark. I could order a custom made juggernaut at Bareknuckles, but i have to know the angle of the baseplate first.

2.) Has someone replaced the tuners already? Is there any problem with ordering Gotoh replacements for the locking tuners? Or any other brand recommended?

3.) ANY help is appreciated. Thx a lot.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Your tech should be able to do a simple baseplate swap or have bkp do it for you. Easy.

Geraldo7 likes this.
  3. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Thanks, @diagrammatiks ! I am no native speaker. so you mean using the original baseplate and send them to Bareknuckles. or ordering the juggernaut "normal" and let the tech do the change here in germany? thx!

4. diagrammatiks

either way works

Geraldo7 likes this.
  5. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Good news here. So it is possible to swap the baseplate in case there are problems. Problem is the tech is a blabbermouth and makes a long story of it. Should i change the tech? or is it more complicated as it might seem?

The other topic: has someone changed the tuners in this particular guitar? that would be helpful, because i have found a couple of threads about the first edition of this guitar but not the 2018 edition. Could i just order my favourite replacements -- the planetwaves locking tuners 3-3 in black -- for this guitar or are there problems to be expected? Thanx again!

6. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

I have the planet waves in my old version of this guitar, and it was a direct match, no hassle.
    I think the the design of the headstock has not been changed

Geraldo7 likes this.
  7. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

:agreed: cool, thx!

8. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Well, i have got a serious problem now. I dunno if i can describe it correctly in english: the angle the of the tuner is different, which kinda looks cool, but my b-string (68er) does not go through the hole of the tuner at all. And even the E-string (56er) hardly. What went wrong? Is it possible to widen the hole, the tuners themselves seem cool. D'addario planet waves locking tuner.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so you mean the hole in tuner post is too small for the string gauge you are using?

Yeah there are 2 options here:

1. You can unwrap the outer core of the string exposing enough of the much thinner inner core, so that it will fit
    or
    2. get a small drill bit and drill out the hole carefully to widen it

Geraldo7 likes this.
  10. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

okay, thx lewis -- i am glad that this is a known problem. I'd prefer option #2 then and ask a tech tomorrow. Maybe he can drill it for me, with my lack of experience i am sure i will ruin the damn thing. thx

lewis likes this.
  11. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

@lewis and those to whom it may concern ...
    The good news is, i changed from the blabbermouth tech to an older smarter one. he at first sight did not want to drill a wider opening into the metal of the tuners. He did the reworking on the wood AND changed his mind and drilled the one tuner for the .68 B-string!
    Works like a charm and what he charged was not even half of what the other guy would have wanted.
    The bad news is: Thomann do not respond and Bareknuckles are complicated in that they cannot measure the angle of my pickup plate. or do not want to. @diagrammatiks said it is no big deal to swap the base plates. Shall i order the juggernaut i want so much with a standard base plate and hope that someone can swap the friggin things AND is able to put the damn thing into my new guitar? Utterly confused,

sincerely yours , :erk: Geraldo

Fred the Shred and lewis like this.
  12. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

13. diagrammatiks

Geraldo7 likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

it's really not hard to swap a baseplate. like diagrammatiks said, a good tech can do it no problem.

Geraldo7 likes this.
  15. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Thanks guys for all your comments. Update: New tuners - working. String gauge from 14-68 - working. Neck Pickup: sounds good.
    Guitar feels fine. Juggernaut at bridge: Tech from Bareknuckles sees into the issue. All seems well at the moment. I'll keep you uppdated. Maybe even show the guitar in a vid. Interested? cu

lewis likes this.
  16. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

I have sent the bridge PU to Bareknuckles HQ in Falmouth, UK. The tech there will tell me soon which angle the baseplate exactly has and whether a Juggernaut will fit into this guitar. cu then

nedheftyfunk likes this.
  17. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

No news is good news. NOT! Well, Bareknuckles has an incredible schedule and are busy, very busy. I will receive my Juggernaut at the end of May. Fingers crossed. The cavity won't take the foot of the pickup. I hope that my local tech can enlarge it in one day. I will give you updates, once it is done. For the moment you can listen to my vid here. @4.15 .
    The original PU in neck position sounds amazing.
    If the Juggernaut is only half of what i expect it is, i'll be in sonic heaven. (Just cannot stand 7-strings). Let us see ...

18. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

[​IMG][​IMG]

Yo, it's done, feels good, sounds better. Final verdict in a few days as a YouTube vid. I am happy, but maybe there is a shorter road to a good sounding baritone guitar? Although the Bareknuckles Juggernaut is awesome, sounds as it looks: fantastic. cu, cheers

:cheers:

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ah that looks great. Good choice on the Zebra. Any plans for a neck pickup replacement?

Also did you make the angle yourself? Or did you get Bareknuckle to and send them like that?

Geraldo7 likes this.
  20. Geraldo7

Geraldo7 SS.org Regular

Yo, thx m8. The "Zebra" is a custom PU made in Falmouth. I love the aged gold bolt screws. I have sent Bareknuckles the original PU. The techs there made a special baseplate for me, costs 24 pounds extra, with a 13 degree, slanted, to fit the cavitiy.
    Unfortunately the cavitiy itself is cut in a SLIGHTLY different angle (sic!). So when the Juggernaut arrived here on Thursday it did not fit into the cavity. My second (first one too expensive and making a huge deal of changing the tuners, haha!) local tech needed only one day to widen the cavity and install the Juggernaut. I have no talent for installing and those things, so the guitar as you can see above has a price tag of 852.- Euros.

Was it all worth it? Stay tuned, I'll post a vid next week, so you can decide for yourself, guys. At least, this one exists only once on our lovely blue planet and sounds and feels very good. But maybe there is a finished product on the market with a similiar price?

I would like to install a crazy coloured Ragnarok in neck position and let the tech do the soldering for a five position switch. But this will take time. My budget does not allow this in the near future. What happenned to your HB fan frets, guys? cu soon.

lewis likes this.