Guitars you really wanted, but turned out to be a disappointment

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThomasUV777, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Mad-Max

Mad-Max SS.org Regular

I have, and those I actually do like. Just wish the other shapes they make were in the same ballpark in terms of quality, but they just aren't. Which is bizarre, because you'd think they would want to make ALL their guitars like the Dinky's, but nope.

2. Mad-Max

Mad-Max SS.org Regular

I did upgrade the pickups in mine, for the same reasons you had, but I ended up getting good results doing that.

Yeah, I even had that Amber Sunburst King V like I mentioned in a post above, but the QC was quite literally awful. I had a guy once tell me the guitar looked like it was 15 years old when I had only owned the guitar for 2 years.

Edika likes this.
  3. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Mine was as wide as wizards (43), but extra beefy with more of a D shape. Approx 21 mm at nut and 23 at 12th fret. It wasn’t for me.

4. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

JPMs had 42mm nuts

5. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Not mine. I measured it. It was awkward to play for me.

6. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

I think I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact I don't care for ash bodies.

Not to start a tone debate, but 3 of the guitars I have (standard scale 7, 26.5 scale 7, and 28.5 scale 8) sound good acoustically, and play really well, but amplified tone is meh. Way too much midrange and high end, and what a feel I can "get away with" playing; it just sounds noisy. I replaced electronics in two of them, but it didn't change that aspect. I'm guessing I'm just a fan of a warmer body wood, with maple necks for the spanky quality.

My others don't have near the noise factor and I really think it's the wood.

7. Metal Mortician

Metal Mortician Ninja Lurker

+1 for the Amott Ninja

After years of lusting for one throughout undergrad and after, I found an LTD for sale during my last month of Grad School. I instantly had to have it and even put down part of my student loan disbursement to pay for it.

Three days later, my father died. After getting back from the funeral and finding the box in my apartment, I tuned up the guitar only to realize I hated it.

The neck shape and neck heel felt wrong. The body felt light and cheap. Most shockingly, it sounded like mud due to improper solder joints throughout the electronics.

I really wanted to like it. Everything else I had built by WMI was great. Even threw down $100 for a pro setup. In the end, likely due to the time I got it, I never bonded with it and always had bad vibes when I played it. I ultimately sold it for a loss.

8. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

This list claims that they all were 42mm at nut. Strange that older necks also had small 240mm radius, feel must have been more close to some kind of strat neck than a RG. 19mm JPM neck with 430mm radius was great.

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/JPM_(neck_type)#JPM

9. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

They weren’t, that radius listing is a separate row in the table for JS necks.

10. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

My Limited run 752. Was so damn hyped to get it but was really disappointed.

Wonky ass binding, paint bleed across all the binding, really sharp and unfinished fret edges, no fret markers (kept loosing where I was), overly heavy but no tonal benefit, Veneer and not a top.

My AGB version was almost 1/3 of the price and plays way better. I reckon they rushed the hell out of the limited runs or something.

[​IMG]

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

man thats a beauty of a guitar, and one of the reaaly few RGs I would be happy to jump into. Shame they werent up to standard. And veneer tops?, was this a prestige?

it happens at the start. My old and main bass for 10 years had no markers, only the side dots and the 12th fret. Kept trowing me off too at the start, but it didnt took too long to get used to, and later I have 0 issues with it. If not its a feature I like to get on my next guitar/bass if I go custom

12. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

Weird, I grabbed one of the limited 752s from Killerburst and it's practically flawless - my experience with Fugijen is pretty consistent, too. I do agree on the veneer point, though.

On topic, though, my Gibson USA Buckethead signature Les Paul. Super cool guitar with all its off-the-wall specs, but man, Gibson's build quality is an actual joke sometimes. Glue coming out of frets, sharp fret ends, got awful tuning stability no matter how well set up, etc. Doesn't help that it's an absolute behemoth of an instrument, baritone and 33% larger than a regular Les Paul, and the upper register? Forget it with that heel. 20th fret was an uncomfortable struggle and I pride myself on being able to make large stretches. Finish was cracking in places, binding wasn't consistent, etc. Loved that guitar more as an idea and what it represented than an actual instrument with solid playability. Mid to high end Suhrs, ESPs, Ibanez, etc. that I've owned / used blew it out of the water with precisely zero effort.

On the flipside, my old '80 E/2 Explorer (that I should have never sold) was phenomenal. One of the best necks I've ever had - wish Gibson could get their shit together again.

13. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Oh, my bad. So they had just one neck profile.

14. LuizPauloDT

LuizPauloDT SS.org Regular

Quite interesting.
    The neck of mine is so thin, that it makes the neck of any Music Man JP I have and played feels much thicker. (except the JP13, which feels the same thickness to me, but still slightly wider)

15. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I dunno. It was very uncomfortable for me. It was quite a struggle: loved the looks, loved the sound, BUT the neck was hiddeous.

16. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman On vacation

Any ESP MIJ guitar. They’re beautiful and probably the highest quality available. The necks are too narrow for me, though. As hard as I tried, I just didn’t like the narrow necks, which, while I can’t remember the exact dimensions that are standard for ESP (maybe 42mm width), they were noticeably narrower than the 1 11/16” necks that are American standard widths.

17. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

As the latest owner of the Ibanez VBT700, you did a good job on that guitar. Great guitar, playability is the best out all my guitars, balances well and sounds great. The ebonized fretboard finished the look off. Just need to find another one now, or a tealth as those thignsare like gold dust

Edika likes this.
  18. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Yeah the VBT700 played great and looked awesome. The only extreme shape guitar that balanced well from the ones I've owned. Even though it was a great guitar at that point of time I just wanted something else and I'm very happy with our trade as the LTD is the first 7 string I've played that sounded how I was hoping a 7 string would sound. The VBT's are quite rare that's true and the Stealths too. I recently got the 7 string Stealth and while in terms of balance it's not great (very light body) it sounds and plays great!

Chiba666 likes this.
  19. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

VGS Soulmaster 7, or more specifically the Evertune bridge. It's possible that I got a lemon or that I didn't set it up properly but no matter how much I tried to set it up the strings always went into the mode where it doesn't register bends after playing for like 10-15 minutes and it was more hassle to change tunings and restring than my Ibanez with an Edge Zero trem.

I have to admit that I bought in too much from the hype from Youtubers and things like that since I don't exactly need perfect tuning stability since I only play at home and don't record stuff often, and play in tons of different tunings, but the guitar itself was way too heavy, didn't sound particularly good, had a dead spot on the fretboard and I had to resolder the pickup selector after barely a year or two after buying it. Even my old Schecter Omen 6 felt and sounded better, and was better built.

20. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

The Ibanez XTP700 Xiphos, I saw all the promo online before they were released and basically lost my mind over how metal they were (being 18 and highly excitable at the time... you know).

But the guitar on laybuy when a local shop got one in, took AGES to pay it off as I had no clue about managing money back then. Finally got it, loved it to bits. But I was so in denial about how awful the neck dive was.

As the first guitar I ever bought 'new' it'll always have a special place in my heart, but it was terrible to play standing up with.