Guitars you really wanted, but turned out to be a disappointment

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThomasUV777, Jan 7, 2018.

1. LuizPauloDT

LuizPauloDT SS.org Regular

Did you find the JPM P2 neck thick?
    I have a P4 and have never seen any other neck thinner than that.
    Do JPM100s have different neck specs among different models?

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

There is, older ones were 20,5mm from the 1st fret, and some of them 19mm. It waries by year and model. I once tested out 1997 P2 model, and neck was super comfy, round but thin profile, and very nicely finished.

LuizPauloDT likes this.
  3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I (still) have a Raines 7 string semi-hollow LP style archtop that I bought from Ebay. I (stupidly) sold my Epiphone Sheraton to fund the purchase of the Raines.

The Raines is basically unplayable. It's been sitting in its case untouched for most of the 8-ish years I've owned it. I hate myself a little more every time I think about it.

4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I was really looking for the affordable but great spec guitar back in the day. I was after a V too and looking for a metal machine. I was between a few models and ended up getting the BC Rich JrV NJ Deluxe. Now the guitar did sound great but the neck profile was round and thick. My neck would get cramped in no time. It also had a few cosmetic flaws but nothing too great but back then I was in the mind frame of what some people post in the "Are expectations too high on new gear?" thread. I paid such and such and it's supposed to be a S.Korean model so it should be perfect. Plus it needed some setup. I took it to a tech for a drop C setup and the guy in order to avoid fret buzz had set the guitar in a ridicilous height and it also sounded like ass as the EMG's were too far away from the strings. I didn't even want to play the guitar afterwards but I toughened up, read a few guides and set it up myself. It then sounded great but the neck profile I could not get used too. Plus I had to change countries and the case was enormous. So regrettably I ended up selling it as it sounded monstrous (after I set it up correctly) through my Triple Recto without any boost.

The actual worst guitar I ever received on my affordable workhorse quest was the Emperion Norax 7 string. Most of you older forum members know the story and the monumental fuck up that company was. Suffice it to say I got the guitar, inspected it, plugged it in (came with stock chinese crappy pickups and not the BK Warpigs I had ordered it with) played for a while and then packed it up and contacted them about sending it back. I was super excited when I first ordered and it looked good but excitement started to dwindle with the whole delays and photos and errors being passed as a bonus option. The guitar had a lot of issues and would require a lot of work if it was going to stay. Too bad as I didn't mind the larger body (one of the mistakes that they were trying to pass as bonus) as it looked cool and it balanced relatively well.

Jackson DK2M Red Ghost Flames. That was an awesome guitar in terms of playability and sound and I was looking for one for a while. Everything was going well until I started to hear a cracking noise whenever I used the tremolo. I didn't use it much so I didn't notice it that much but at on string change I took of the tremolo and saw a crack in the trem post. I pondered the cost of repair versus getting a USA Soloist which I had my eyes on nd decided to cut my loses. I did stabilize the crack with wood glue as it was of a hairline crack and I did warn about it in my ad and to it's current owner. I did take a loss on the item but it was manageable.

Jackson SLAT3-7 Gun metal grey. I had played a used one at a store and really liked but the price they were asking was ridiculous (guitar was new about £1100 and they were selling it at £900 long after it was discontinued). The guitar played great but I didn't liked how it sounded at all. I changed strings, I had it professionally set up, I changed pickups twice (actives both times though) and I finally gave up and sold it as a Jackson SL2H USA came about for a great price. I'm not regretting my decision one bit with how great the USA sounds.

Jackson KVX10. My third MIJ Jackson but admittedly the one of the lowest tier ones. Played really nice but it was light as hell and felt like a toy. Duncan Design pickups left a lot to be desired and even though I was planning some mods I decided to sell it for something that would be a keeper. In general my Jackson MIJ experiences were a hit and miss as 3 out of 3 were sold. I heard so many things about these guitars and build quality for the price that I was expecting more. Or maybe "Are expectations too high on new gear?". Anyway I'm quite skeptical getting another MIJ Jackson.

Epiphone LP classic 7. I was GASing for a 7 string LP and I heard great things about these Korean made Epi's. Found one that the price was good and snagged. Out of the box it was the lightest and cheapest looking guitars I've ever owned. It sounded good however even with the stock Epi pickups but a trip to the local tech after seeing that the trussrod was maxed and there was insane buzz revealed that the neck above the area the trussrod could affect had a hump on the fretboard, porbably due to bad storage conditions. The guitar went back and I got a refund but I don't know if I had kept it if it was good. I mean it was a full thickness LP that had neck dive with a Gibson scale just to understand how light the body was. Any plastic part also looked like it was made from the cheapest goop they could master.

Ibanez VBT700. This was my fourth attempt at a V and this thing looked dope. I think the sorry state i nwhich the guitar came in vs the fact that the ownwer said it was in great condition just put me off. No structural issues gladly on this guitar but all screws were replaced as they were rused over. D-Activators were nice but I got another guitar with them that I liked more so I changed them. The bridge pickup I replaced was supposed to be a balanced sounding pickup and it was just shrill city to my ears. Not bad but that pickup would be better sounding in C or lower. I changed to Blackouts which I loved but the whole experiences plus my GAS for a 7 string LP sent it for an exchange. While I have another Ibanez that I love the profile I didn't care for this one and it was starting to annoy me which was another factor to send it on.

Last, and I still have this guitar but I don't know for how long, is the LTD BS-7 you see in my profile pic. It is perfect in every way but for two things, the neck profile is a bit on the thick side, but I can work with that, and the sound is really upper mid to high frequency focused with minimal low mids and lows coming out from the guitar. Playing it unplugged it has "hairiness" to the sound that comes out in the amp. I changed the Ionizer as it sounded weak as shit in this guitar with a Blackhawk Alnico V and the sound has improved significantly. There's more lower frequencies but the hairiness is there. I've managed to fix the sound using an EQ by reducing frequencies above 2kHz but I'm a bit annoyed as all my other guitars sound great to begin with. I'll experiment more before making a decision. This is guitar is super well build with the least amount of cosmetic flaws in a production guitar. It's heavy and it feels just well made, with great intonation but when plucking it, even unplugged, I'm just not as happy. I have a feeling that most probably is the thick gauge strings that are crapping out the sound as the guitar is in Drop A and I might just put a 10-59 or even 9-54 in Drop A and see if I like the sound then my answer will be given for me. It will be really silly but not unheard off.

Chiba666 likes this.
  5. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Pretty much every Fender I've tried, particularly the Fender Prodigy super-strat. Got a bass from the same line and I really liked it and it was made the same year I was born, and wanted a matching guitar. Spent 2 whole years waiting for the right color and year to pop up on reverb or ebay, and it finally did. I only paid $300 for it but godamn, it was pretty heavy for a strat and that neck pocket killed me. I just can't do those blocky heels coming from an RG, it's the only reason I haven't got a custom Warmoth

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

For me, it was a Steinberger ZT3. An amazing, breakthrough vibrato system (TransTrem 3) attached to the brightest, heaviest, clubbiest guitar imaginable. I swear, the entire manufacturing cost was the TransTrem, because the guitar itself was worth maybe $150 of its $1600 price. I eventually traded it for a great Ernie Ball, but miss what can be done with the TransTrem (bend all strings in tune- they bend at different rates). I don't miss the guitar itself, though.

7. Zeppelinskies

Zeppelinskies SS.org Regular

For me it was a Blackmachine. Id heard all of the hype about the design etc. And bought one of the new Feline B6 models; one of the first with the 'Blackbird'pickups. I think a big part of it was being over expectant from the crazy hype, but it just sounded average, and not a patch on some of my other guitars. I tried a few pickup swaps but it never got much better, so I traded it away. Never missed it

xwmucradiox and Insomnia like this.
  8. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

As a kid I lusted over ESP and LTD Kirk Hammet models. I ended up finally getting my hands on a KH model LTD shaped like an LP in maybe 2005 or 2006 and it just wasn't what I expected. There was nothing "wrong" with it really, I had just convinced myself that I was going to be able to pick it up and it would solve all my playing issues, which is 100% did not lol.

fps likes this.
  9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Sorry to hear that, there are many customers with the same stories. I've forgotten about mine too since I doubt Christian will ever ship it back to me.

10. TheBurningLegion

TheBurningLegion SS.org Regular

Ibanez rgaix7fm really hoped for something decent at a grand and the specs but was disappointed by the shitty fretwork and a metal particle in the neck pocket and a filled crack on the body side, some dings on the maple neck, pickup not up to par but holds tuning well and the neck is stable and fast

11. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Skervesen Raptor.... super sexy, wonderful but turned out like the worst sounding axe I have ever had, whatever the pickups I tried.... :(

12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

He refused to give me a refund, and offered to repair it. Not wanting to send a guitar back to a guy who can't even make sure his stock leaves with basic things like strap buttons, I insisted on a refund, contacted my bank. They refunded me on their behalf and said they would collect from him. Never heard from him again.

There is a facebook group for people with problems but I think the consensus is not much will happen. You could contact your bank if you've lost money, Santander (my bank) were very helpful.

13. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

My BFR7 JP. Looked great but could not gel with it for the price. Pickups were not good, trem would not stay in tune as it should and just wasn't good enough for the price. Sold it.

14. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

You give me a shout if that Guitar ever goes back on the market ;)

Also I switched over from all my Ionizer's to Fluence. Just wanted to mention since I put the Ionizer in that BS-7, and all my others. But I imagine the Fluence would be a b*tch to get in that one.

Also yea that guitar is Heavy as hell :lol:

15. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I will and it's a great guitar that's why I haven't put it up for sale. The routes on this thing are tight and it has the V shaped tabs. While the cavity is big it has only one knob so that would render most Fluence pots redundant and take away from the options those pickups give you. One thing I'll try next string change is just use a thin gauge regardless if the tension will be low. I remember when I first got it, it sounded better with the thinner strings. The BC Rich Stealth I got has EMG's but sounds clear and focused but has a 9-54 set. I'll be setting it up soon with thicker strings so if the sound craps out, then it's just that I don't like thick strings.

16. Mad-Max

Mad-Max SS.org Regular

For me it was my Jackson Pro Series King V that I bought back in early 2014.

Bought it honestly based on the looks, and really liked just about every Jackson that I played, so I had faith in the playability. I got it, and within the first hour I was thinking, "I'm not really a fan"

The frets were uneven, the binding on the side of the neck showed cracks where the frets were, and it didn't sound all that great unless I had the action high enough to drive a bus under it.

I'm sure with a proper set up, it could've met its potential, but I just didn't jive with it at all. I tried to love it, even installed pickups that I liked better than the EMG's it came stock with, but no cigar.

Ever since it's put somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth with Jackson's Indonesian models, and more specifically the pro series. The new X series they have just feels cheap to me, compared to my X series King V I bought in 2009 that wipes the floor with anything they put out now. Then again, it was made in Japan.

Man do I wish Jackson still made their imports in Japan... *sigh*

I still have a love for Jackson that I don't think will ever go away necessarily, but since their QC isn't really as great as it used to be, I tread carefully and if I want another Jackson, it's more than likely gonna be a USA model. Bottom Line.

17. Mad-Max

Mad-Max SS.org Regular

Hmm. Interesting. I literally have the exact same guitar and it's one of the best guitars that I have ever played, and I have guitars twice its price from different brands.

In fact, I was talking about possibly trying to scour the webs for another one here recently.

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Have you tried any of the Mexican made Pro bolt-on models? They're actually really solid.

feraledge likes this.
  19. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

The guitar played great don't get me wrong and it looked great as it had a really dark rosewood board. I thought quite hard whether to keep it or not and I had bought pickups and pots to upgrade it. But it was too light and the pickups were usable but the comparison with other guitars I had in terms of sound was unfair. It had kind of a hollow sound to it if that makes sense. I thought in the end that if I went through the whole process of upgrading electronics and still was kind of unsure I wouldn't get my money back for the additional parts so I sold it in hopes of finding something I'd like more.

On the other hand I did play one of the KVMG Pro guitars in a store, the one with the Amber burst and it sounded and played great. The neck wasn't as smooth as I expected for an unfinished neck but there didn't seem to be any functional issues. I tried in that same store the SL2H Pro with the black transparent quilted maple top and wasn't impressed. The neck was better feeling but it didn't sound as great which kind of showed me the inconsistencies of those Indonesian models. Hopefully they're better now in terms of QC.

20. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I always try to get away with the thinnest possible that I can stand as going too big always makes the bass uncontrollable. Ernie Ball regular slinky 7 is perfect for me, 10-56.

Edika likes this.