Guitars you really wanted, but turned out to be a disappointment

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThomasUV777, Jan 7, 2018.

1. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

Basically most of the 2016 Les Pauls I bought to find an unflawed one (good luck).

Here's the unholy f*ckmother of them all, a 2016 LP Classic Plaintop.

First look all good, right?

IMG_0392.jpg

Wrong!

Neck PU off center.

_DSC4536.jpg

Bridge PU frame bent.

_DSC4537.jpg

Binding behind the last fret was flaky.

_DSC4538.jpg

Switch tip was damaged like someone gnawed on it.

_DSC4539.jpg

Damage on pickguard (going through the protective foil).

_DSC4545.jpg

Black residue on the fretboard edges.

_DSC4551.jpg

Bleeding into the binding (all over the body).

_DSC4554.jpg

Glue residue on the frets.

_DSC4558.jpg

I really loved the top on this specimen but ended up returning it. The store offered a 50€ discount because of the flaws. Ridiculous.

2. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

That Gibson has the bridge positioned off-center, pickups are good :) Of course the bridge is much harder to fix

E: Of course I notice those things, because I've had several guitars with that kind of problems. Most have been USA Jacksons (neck-through) and my disappointment comes from there. 7/12 have been unacceptable to me so far

3. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Nothing on that LP is explicitly off center. They just eyeball the bridge setup when they slot the saddles and whoever hammered in the notches on that one didn't have the strings lined up all that great so the spacing is a bit off. There is a good amount of extra real estate on the fretboard that could be utilized with a set of saddles slotted a little wider. Fortunately pole piece alignment on a PAF-style humbucker means very little in terms of pickup pattern and magnetic field. The chewed up neck binding is crappy but the color coat scraping not getting to the very bottom of the binding is common on lots of guitars because they scrape those lines by hand and its a lot worse to go past the binding than leave a 32nd of finish still at the bottom edge. The big cut corner on a lot of gibsons is that they don't properly fit the pickup rings any more so you get those ugly bowed out sides because they're bending an unmatched ring around a carved top.

4. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Agreed!

5. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

mayones regius gothic. Great finish but for the sound and the playing feeling....really "stiff" It was in EMG first, then i put some duncan in it even with that, I don't know it reaaly didn't do it for me....

6. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Ibanez SR-505 - I went thru 3 bass guitars that were all with serious flaws. Since I ordered from online catalog they kept replacing them for me. Have to give props to Musiciansfriend for sticking with me on this and finally getting things right with a Sterling bass.
    Ibanez pulled that bass off the factory line for about a year, so apparently they also discovered issues with the Indonesian manufacturer.

7. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Ibanez S470B in Red.

2nd guitar, first "real" guitar, I loved it till I slowly realised how bad this particular one was. First day the lock nut broke, time went on I discovered what bad frets were, they were dirty and corroded in places. Eventually sold it for a PRS SE I think.

I keep adding things as I remember them :lol: Would love to get another red 470 sometime now I know how to take care of guitar problems.

8. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

Almost every Caparison i've owned has fallen short of what i'd hoped for. They are well crafted, beautiful instruments, but something is always a tad bit off. Whether it be neck profile or dull sound, sadly, there have been issues.

Koloss85 and manu80 like this.
  9. silverabyss

silverabyss

So what exactly happened during the wash berg days, wasn’t the washy USA shop of decent repute up until then?

10. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

It seems to me like they were contracted to do a bunch of things that they weren't used to doing not the least of which was creating instruments as a production line rather than artist one-offs or super limited runs of high end stuff like the $6000 Paul Stanley guitars. IIRC a lot of people had complaints about worming and dents in the bodies and if you apply an oil finish to ash there isn't much to stop that from happening from any tiny speck of dirt compared to a hard poly finish that will stand up to small shop debris.

11. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

It's odd, cause the Carvin CT7 was my dream guitar since basaically 2009 (before it was introduced, I'm sure my consistent bugging had a factor in it possibly?) but when I finally ordered one, it was kinda a letdown. Not so much with the guitar not being good, just i dunno.. maybe not the right specs. Who knows. In 2013, my first "big" guitar order, instead of going with the CT7 as planned, I caved to the ST300 last minute to get a really good 6 string with a one piece quilt top for cheaper than a standard quilt top CT7. The ST300 ended up being my "forever" guitar so thats solid but still ended up with a Kiesel CT7 in 2016 and it was so-so. I think it was the final straw to me that I dislike floyds.

Oddly enough though, after getting my Aristides this past year, going back to re-play the CT7 is a very nice change of pace - I like it much more now than I did when I ordered it. Unfortunately, still think it'll be sold in the future cause I dont like keeping too many guitars around, but its one of those "dissapointed when ordered, but learned to love it" instruments.

About real disappointment guitars, I have had tons.. the one sticking in my mind is the Ibanez fanned fret bass.. I realy thought that thing would be amazing, but it ended up being super uncomfortable and not worth my time.

12. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

So I think I'll chime in on my disappointments (I'll narrow it to two):

E-II SV
    Don't get me wrong. The SV I had was a solidly made guitar and played fine and had a wicked tone. My issue came from the insanely long neck that made it hard as hell to play with my wingspan, and the body was on the level of a king V, making just about any gigbag useless. Hard to play something when you can't take it anywhere for fear of it getting damaged.

Kiesel V220
    This also is a well made instrument and it has a sweet tone. It plays a lot better than the E-II SV as it has a shorter neck. My issue is that it had some REALLY lazy mistakes that should NOT have left the factory (not finishing the paint on the neck heel, primer showing in various places, input jack having some connection issues with a cable plugged in). I didn't mind it at first, but the mahogany stripes they used on the neck have some discoloration. They gave me perfect looking stripes when they were still Carvin on my JB200; why not here? My only theory is that they save the "perfect" woods for higher end (aka more expensive) builds and because my V220 was a cheaper build (pre-price increase on the V/X models so I only paid around 1400 bucks), they decided to go with a wood grain that had some discoloration. I have NEVER seen discoloration on any of the more expensive builds and i'm sure that some people have gotten some wood grain that didn't look as nice because they went with a simple build and didn't fork out 2500+ for a pimped out Vader or some other model that Jeff strokes his own ego over.

13. xDarkCrisisx

xDarkCrisisx SS.org Regular

I went to a Local Sam Ash for the first time in like 4 year not expecting much, I immediately saw that they had an Epiphone Snow Falcon and had been GASing over it for a while now. I tried to find the most suitable amp for it and when I plugged it in I was met with just utter disappointment, the neck profile was just not meshing with me, the burstbucker pups were not doing what I wanted, and the paint job was not exactly the snow white I had thought. Surprisingly the guitar was pretty well set up so it wasn't that, I came to the conclusion that the guitar just wasn't for me.

Thankfully there is a happy ending to this story. While expressing my disappointment to the guy at the register in casual conversation he pointed out that they did have a Brent Hinds V as well. I said I wasn't really into big necks knowing that his sig had a fat one. He insisted I try it out, and when I threw it on an Orange tube amp they had it was just bliss. I had never been into the Droney/Doom or Stoner sound, but this guitar just sounded like a behemoth. Sustain for days, I could get any tone I wanted out of it (Death, Slayer, Megadeth, Cult of Luna, Mastodon, Opeth) Hell I even started doing blues patterns on it just to see how far I could go. It did have a factory "blemish" that the guy said made that one hard to sell, but otherwise the guitar was perfect. I came back 3 days later to buy the sucker, apparently the price was reduced from $799 to $699 because of the "blemish". All it was is that the first fret inlay was discolored, sort of a brownish hue to it, but I didn't care and knew that this was a guitar I had to have.

fps likes this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The wormholes, at least, was Strictly 7 not Washburn.

Koloss85 likes this.
  15. arasys

arasys SS.org Regular

ESP Alexi Blacky

I love my Jackson RR1 and wanted a backup guitar as a graduate school admission gift. I got it at an incredible price back in 2012. I am guessing whoever sold it only played it once or twice after realizing V guitars are not his/her thing.

When guitar arrived it was almost perfect, not a single scratch but few tiny finish flaws here and there but for that price I couldn’t be happier.

Post 2008 Alexi signatures’ body shape in US market is still too bulkier than Jackson RR. It’s thicker, heavier and longer lower wing puts me in an awkward position with the neck. It’s been several years since I got it, but even today when I sit down to play the guitar I can’t stop thinking “holy shit, fretboard is awkward and feels too long” (as MatiasTolkki said above) whereas original RR shape feels a lot more natural in classical position even though both guitars have the same scale and jumbo frets.

Maybe that’s why ESP is pushing Arrow models instead of SV USA nowadays and Alexi’s own guitars have RR like lower wing compared to his signature guitars sold here.

The neck is comparably thicker too, which sadly causes me to deal wrist pain after playing for 20 minutes. Personally, I find fretboard markers little bit hard to notice with abalone neck binding while playing across the fretboard.

EMG HZ 2 + JE 1000 style MM04 booster is not too bad with Marshallesque amps, but mostly feels a bit lifeless and too trebly compared to pickups like D Activator.

Do I want to sell it? No, but it’ll be the only one I would take out of the house. Maybe one day I’ll have it repainted and modded by GMW.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  16. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

My JP7 was 2007, according to Joel on the EBMM DoB thread.

17. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

In my case, sitting down I didn't think it felt TOO long, it was more when I tried to stand and play, trying to play power chords around the 1st-4th frets were so far away from my body that my left arm got tired after only a short time playing (and I play a ton of power chords in those positions). When playing my Carvins or Ibanezes, I NEVER feel like that, so I had to get rid of it. Too bad, it was a really nice guitar but it was impossible to play and having a guitar like that would be a waste.

arasys likes this.
  18. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Just slipping off my lap

19. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

20. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

Agile Intrepid 8 I had years ago
    My PRS Custom 24 Employee guitar

Both guitars I'm sure were fine but I just didn't gel with them like I'd hoped :-(

MatiasTolkki likes this.