Guitars with easiest upper access. 24 frets or more. Does such exist?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Unleash The Fury, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Im looking for an excuse to buy a new guitar. I looked through my rolodex full of excuses and i found a really good one this time! :lol:

Ok so ive been on a 24 fret guitar kick lately. The reason i love 24 frets is because i love that second-octave 5-string minor arpeggio sweep. (The one that starts on the 19th fret A string and ends on the 24th fret on the high E string). I have a few 24 fret guitars now including a PRS SE Custom 24 floyd, an Agile Septor elite, and a Hadean Spad Nat (cheap chinese Agile knockoff).

Its not really a huge problem, but this sweep can be a little cramped and its tough to pull off cleanly every single time mainly because the horns get in the way. Out of the 3 I have, i find the Agile to be the easiest to pull off this sweep. (maybe because its 27" scale length makes the frets a little bigger thus easier to fit my fingers in there) But yeah it is easier to do than my PRS. However, im hoping that there is a guitar out there that can make this even easier. I know there are 27 fret guitars, but does that mean there would be a lack of the guitar body being in my way thus making it easier to do that sweep, or does 27 fret just mean the design would be basically the same as a 24 fret but with 3 more frets tacked on the end? Looking at say, the ESP LTD 27 fret guitar (seems rare to find, may e discontinued?) It looks like the extra 3 frets are just "half-frets", as if its only meant for to allow a longer pinky stretch only; not that i can necessarily fit my hand any further down the neck, but just the pinky. Im looking to be able to fit my whole hand down further.

I cant be too picky with the specs i suppose but it needs to be a 6 string. Metal music is my intention, if it matters. As much as i dont like super thin/flat Ibanez type necks i would really consider buying one since i found this!!
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/Xiphos-XPT700-Extended-27-Fret-Electric-Guitar.gc

Has this guitar been discontinued or something? This really looks like it would be what i need despite the shape of neck it must have. Id prefer non-floyd but like i said i cant be too picky. I also need it to not be H-S-H. I hope someone can help.

Thanks!

Id also add that id need it to be under $1000 new or used

Oh also ive looked at the Epiphone Iommi SG, im interested in that as well as any other suggestions.

And this is very important.....the smaller the scale the better. I like my 27" but even that is a tad too big for me

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I was going to say the ormsby sx gtr...but that's a little over budget.

find a used RG2011SC ?

3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I always thought that Xiphos was sick. My vote goes to that, just gotta find one.

Idk why they discontinued that one, guess they didnt sell enough, but it was always my favorite.

4. Unleash The Fury

Thanks i shall take a look

5. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Lol, i forgot bout that 30 fret RG they made a few years ago, thanks for sharing i had to google it. It's definitely a cool guitar, though i always thought the lower horn seemed so breakable being so thin and long.

6. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Edwards MV-125fr if you can find one. I think it's 24.75" scale as well.

7. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Epiphone Prophecy SG EX

8. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

You might be able to score a second hand Ormsby GTR for that kind of price, SX or the TX model should do what you want just fine.

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

also remember prices are in AUD, ocne you change it to US$ its only 200$ extra on top of the OP budget, so its not that far.

thing is not sure if he would be able to do those crazy sweeps at the angle those high frets are

10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I've always found the position a bit cramped unless its a longer scale, I much prefer to do these kind of shapes when playing that arpeggio:
    [​IMG]

11. Unleash The Fury

I should note that i am not really able to shred at the level i want to. Im not very good at shredding and im only ok at sweeping. Lol. If somebody ever saw me playing this guitar they would expect me to do some rusty cooley speed shredding and i most definitly cannot shred like that. Perhaps im guilty of trying to play better than i actually can. I got a little intimidated when i saw some of these 30 fret guitars and was like damn i wouldnt even be able to utilize that like real shredders would. (I get so down on myself whenever im high)!

The rg2011 sc was it? The one thats got the pickgaurd......yeah that looks cool but that dude was right where it looks like that lower horn could break off like a kit kat bar. That ones not for me

The Edwards MV125 guitar. It was love at first sight with this one. I would love to try one. The thing that sucks is it looks like there is only a handful available and theyre all shipping from Japan? Thats a major risk taker right there. Ormsby from Aus, thats another risk.

So far im interested in the Edwards and the Epiphone Prophecy. Oh and the Xiphos

12. Unleash The Fury

I like that shape too just i need to work on that one

13. MrPepperoniNipples

MrPepperoniNipples SS.org Regular

You should look into the RC7 or RC6's from Dean, not your average Dean guitar

Even with the 7 string it basically plays like a 6, but there is a 6 string version of it available too. It is effortless to get to the 24th fret. Unfortunately, no hardtail versions that I know of, at least not on the 6 and 7 string RC's

I .... you not, playing at the 24th fret on these is as easy as playing on the 19th, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^26.5 frets

Another option I would suggest looking into is getting the 21-24th frets scalloped, like on the Jem guitars. Much easier to grab the strings despite the cramped space, makes for nicer bends and vibrato up there, as well as making it easy to articulate the faster playing up there. This seems like a more appropriate option given the specificity of your specs

14. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Any 24 fret V would be where I would start. No such thing as better access than on a V IMO.

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Get an Alvarez scoop!
    [​IMG]

Nitza and Malevolent_Croatian like this.
  16. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

nah man
    for example, this would be unplayable
    and most v's are like that

[​IMG]

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

beg to differ a bit, you just pull out the worst example

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ect ect

18. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

Can't beat a Parker Fly Deluxe imo. The access is unparalleled.

19. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

EBMM Majesty all day dude

20. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

I never read anyone's post. I read the title then spew forth something. So never mind the majesty