Graduation question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Spaced Out Ace, May 17, 2018.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I have a question that may or may not be answered by "it varies depending on the school," but figured I'd ask anyways.

I'm completing my BAS sometime next year (after spring or summer quarter of 2019, hopefully), and was hoping my grandma could be there. Unfortunately, she passed this past weekend, and now I'm kicking myself in the ass for not walking when I completed my AAS. She seemed to want me to, but she didn't push it. "Oh, so you're almost done with school? That means you're gonna do graduation right?" My response was, "No, Nanny. I'm almost finished with my AAS degree, but I plan on getting my BAS. I'll do graduation when I'm finished with that." Well, so much for that plan, eh?

Anyways, my question is: Will they allow me to have a second pendant and tassel hanging from the cap? I want to have the standard year I graduated, as well as a second one with the year my grandma was born, which was '45. If not, what sort of trouble or issue would I get into if I said screw it and did it anyways?

2. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I'd just do it. While I've skipped my graduation ceremonies and therefore don't have first hand experience I can't help but feel that you don't have much to worry about. Plenty of people "customize" their caps for graduation and depending on the size of your graduating class there are almost certainly going to be too many people for them to single you out for having an extra tassel and pendant.

narad likes this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Well, I was probably just going to do it anyways. I just wanted to see if there might be any repercussions for doing so.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

What are they gonna do, NOT hand it over in front of everyone?

They probably won't even notice

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. :(

Like others have said, I don't think what you are planning to do will cause much of a ruckus. You *might* have someone come up to you at some point and ask you what it's all about, but I would imagine that any reasonable person would respond to your explanation with encouragement. I don't know the people at your particular institution, though. The people at my high school would have thrown a huge fit, but they were all the type of people to throw huge fits over anything and everything, and they did throw fits at graduation over menial stuff, kick a classmate and friend of mine out of the ceremony for getting his ear pierced. On the other hand, the people at my university were normal non-throw-a-fit-over-everything types and the ceremony there was a lot of fun. :shrug:

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

My university graduation was held in a 70,000+ seat football stadium. Obviously it wasn't filled to capacity, but there were several thousand students graduating and perhaps 15-20K family/friends in attendance to see their loved one walk across the stage and receive their diploma. The only time anyone would have noticed something like what you are planning was when I actually walked across the stage; everyone else was too busy to have paid any attention.

I say just go for it.

Also, you have my condolences regarding your grandmother.

7. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

“Call security!!!”...”he’s running-taze him!!”

8. rx

rx I drink water.

Don't ask, just do. :)