Good replacement guts for metal Bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Jacksonluvr636, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I got a Sterling Stingray for $300. I really like it, looks awesome and plays fine for me. Not looking to get a different bass but I may be interested in replacing all the internals (pre amp, pickup, whatever)

I do not know anything about bass gear at all. Just looking for some suggestions on what are some of the go to's for these?

I play various types of metal. Anywhere from Hardcore to Metalcore and Death Metal. If I had to choose one sound for this bass it would be older metalcore like early KSE kind of stuff.

Any recommendations?

2. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

A lot of bass players in that style use EMG. I imagine your Stingray would do just fine stock though. I'd say put that money toward a good rig unless you have one already. :2c:

3. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

If not done already, get rid of the préamp.

4. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

While that's most likely the weakest link in the bass at this point I'd still say just leave it as-is for a while to see if it works out. I imagine for live use it would be fine. Maybe add a bypass switch if recorded tones become an issue.

A pre upgrade would certainly make a positive difference but if finances are any issue that same money could keep you in good quality new strings for some time. That's usually an even bigger difference.

5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Quite a few brand sell a Stingray wiring kit and pickups. You cant go wrong with any. But yeh give the stock a chance first.

Basses are not like guitars “for metal” like we only need a humbucker. Basses get most of their sound for the type of pickup. So you might be chacing a P style sound but you have a MM style one. You can do metal with P or JJ or PJ or MM or humbuckers.

See if you like the sound of a MM first before you spend your money

6. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Buy a Sansamp Bass Driver, and that'll get you halfway towards the tone that most metal / hardcore bassists have.

I play music likes this.