Good/cheap desk and comfy chair for my tiny home studio?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by chopeth, Jan 11, 2018.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Title explains itself. I'm moving to a new flat and want to buy stuff to start recording my riffs. I have a couple of active monitors Rokit 6', a usb interface Steinberg UR22, ATH50s, guitars and a nice laptop.

IMPORTANT: I have huge back issues, I suffer from sciatica and would like the chair to have movable armrest. The room is small, 6 square meters

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Do you have an Ikea near you? You can piece together a decently nice studio desk for around $200. I have all the specs for different ones on my phone and can post them here if there is interest.

Metropolis, sezna and chopeth like this.
  3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

it's about 150km but it could be great anyway, schwiz!

Btw, in addition to my severe sciatica concerning to the chair, I am quite tall, 6,6ft or 1,98m

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Ikea has online store too, but shipping costs are somewhat high. For needs of your back used higher lever office chair could be optimal, they usually have required adjustments for everything.

5. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

I'd be pretty interested in what you have to share for Ikea. I've been using Ikea desks for a few years now and love them. But I know people build studio desks out of just Ikea parts, so I'm curious to see examples.

6. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

At your request(s).

I do not take credit for creating these. They were posted in the URM Facebook group and I used them to create my own build. Note that some of these items are discontinued, and you may need to supplement other items for them. The last picture is my current setup which cost me $182 at Ikea. I took specs from a few of the posted builds and made them my own.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

8. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

This is awesome, thank you! Definitely gives me some good ideas especially since I already have the desk.

9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I really like that $130 option, nice to see this stuff easily sourced at Ikea. Are there any instructions on the alterations?

10. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Very nice, but that tabletop is very flimsy, I have one under my hands right now. It's made of cheapest possible wood fiber board. Replacing it with something more sturdy, and same measurements would be much better. Adjusting table height is also out of the question with those drawers under it.

11. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

The picture of my studio - it looks like everything is sunk in, but it's not. It's actually holding the weight on my monitor and all my gear very well all things considered. I chose this one because it was only $45... however, it is made of particle board for sure. The really nice thing is, if I decide that it's seen better days, I can just go to Ikea, grab a different top and hook it up to my existing setup. The nicer tops are ~$100. Currently, all my rack gear is just sitting on the top, its not screwed down or anything, so moving things is relatively easy. Also, if you are worried about adjustable height, then don't use the drawer system, grab some of their adjustable legs that are on casters, and build a little stand alone shelf for your rack gear. The really nice thing is that there are a ton of different options. I literally spent 5 hours researching all these different parts on Ikea's website, making sure that I got what I wanted.

Metropolis likes this.
  12. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Albake21 likes this.
  13. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Very interesting replies! thanks, I ordered the Ikea catalogue and will start thinking my set up as soon as it comes

14. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Anyone done anything to support an 88-key controller?

I've been selling off much of my rack gear lately and doing so has enabled me to consider downsizing from my massive Argosy V-90. I just haven't found the right solution yet, but would definitely want to have a desk with an 88-key undercarriage.

I love the Argosy, but it takes up nearly 1/2 depth of my room!!

15. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

What you could do is build a keyboard tray under the desk, but just use the main desk surface for the 88-key (thats a fkin huge keyboard). Or, sell the 88, and find a 44 that you can make a roll out tray for.

I had the intent of making a tray for my 44 key, but couldn't find the right brackets to use.

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

IKEA Markus chair. $120 and just don’t put the arms on it. Works great for gaming and most importantly playing guitar. I play classical position with a footstool at home.

Most importantly - my dick/groin area doesn’t fall asleep like it does when sitting on a hard surface with something like a guitar in my lap.

chopeth likes this.
  17. Curt

Curt SS.org Regular

What is your budget insofar as a chair goes? Because the chair I have is about the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in but it ran me nearly $800

chopeth and Mathemagician like this.
  18. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Too much, mate, around 200?

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

It's 170€ here

20. Curt

Curt SS.org Regular

Looks like the Ikea Markus is going to be your best bet.

Mathemagician likes this.