Glenn Tipton diagnosed with Parkinsons; retiring from touring

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Feb 12, 2018.

1. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

The live DVD from 2006 is still one of my faves.

electriceye likes this.
  2. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Last I saw Priest was when they had just gotten back with Rob Halford. After hearing Ripper Owens on their songs I couldn't stomach Rob back in the band...understandably much older with tired pipes but I just couldn't go forward with that band...and Nostradamus...ugh, what a dud!

I decided to hang my Priest banner at that point and haven't been interested, until this new album, which seemed like better songwriting. It is unfortunate for Glenn, a true musical genius. Without him and KK there isn't much of a band.

I think the reason they're announcing that he will continue to be involved in Priest is to get people not to ask for cash band for their tickets. I honestly can't see Andy Sneap doing justice to those leads, he's just not that good.

3. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

That's the thing - there's nothing for him to be involved in anymore. It's just because its hard to say he's 100% done. His condition will only get worse and Priest won't do anything after this.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm thinking he's just being stubborn. He really loves his gig and wants to keep going.

I mean, being diagnosed 10 years ago and STILL going that long? Shit dude, I would have retired early. :lol:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

He'll probably make a few guest appearances here and there to play Another Thing Comin', or write a few tracks on the next album. Shit like that.

And by the way, that shit will get a huge pop, especially if it's unannounced, because people love triumphs over adversity and shit like that.

6. electriceye

There won't be another album.

7. Spaced Out Ace

Have they stated that they are retiring after this tour?

8. electriceye

No, they haven't. But I'm willing to bet $ this is it. Rob and Ian are going to be 67 this year. Glenn is now done. By the time they got around to writing and recording another album, they'll be 70. Glenn would be 73. Let's be realistic. You're not going to find a more dedicated Priest fan than me. I've been in love with this band for nearly 40 years. I never want them to go away. But time doesn't stop for anyone. I also simply don't see how they would write another album without Glenn. It's no longer Priest without him.

9. Spaced Out Ace

I'll just sum this up with Priest is in a much better place than KISS, and I love KISS with all my heart -- Have since the age of 9 or so in 1996 -- but I wish they would hang it the fuck up. Gene just lazily stands there, Eric Singer is a DREADFULLY, woefully boring drummer, and Paul sounds like a fucking frog with all the croaking he does now. KISS in 2018 -- and frankly for the past 10-15 years -- is a fucking embarrassment. I'd go and see JP with or without Glenn and KK.

Don't believe me? Watch this cringy shit.

"We need you to sing this one." Paul, with your voice in the shape it is in, you need us to sing all of them. Fucking horrendous.

PBGas likes this.
  10. electriceye

Yeah, I've only heard bad things about Paul's voice the past couple of years. Painful.

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Ian I can see wanting to hang it up after this touring cycle. Rob? He'll probably call Metal Mike and/or Roy Z up and take Halford out on the road. Priest may be done, but Rob seems like the type that would rather die on stage doing what he loves to do than retire.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Someone on another site basically said that JP is doing similar shit to Foreigner about whether or not Glenn will be at the show. What an ass wipe for putting a fucking concert experience over Glenn's fucking health.

13. electriceye

I half hope for more Halford solo. However, if it involves Roy playing? No thanks. The last album sucked. The chemistry between Mike and Pat is what made the first two albums masterpieces. Roy is a shitty guitar player and a mediocre producer, at best.