Glenn Tipton diagnosed with Parkinsons; retiring from touring

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Feb 12, 2018.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

They just revealed this on their Facebook page this morning. He's retiring from touring and will be replaced with Andy Sneap. Said he's been having early symptoms since 2008 and its gotten to the point where he can't play their most complex songs.

A huge shame, but not surprising. He's in his early 70s and definitely deserves the retirement. He and KK helped shape metal guitar in the 70s so he deserves a good rest. That also probably explains why they put such a big focus on Richie. Pass the torch onto him.

2. Nonapod

Nonapod SS.org Regular

Yeesh, first Pat Torpey now this, Parkinson's is evil. My mother has had it for years so I know personally how horrible it is.

I've always respected Glenn as one of the few guitarists who actually noticeably improved as a player over the course of his career. He learned how to execute sweep arpeggios pretty well for Painkiller when he pushing 40.

3. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Truly sad news, Glenn has had a great career but he's always been seriously underrated as a player/innovator of the genre.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

terrible news. I've always admired the guitarwork in Judas Priest especially their later albums like Painkiller.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Well that sucks :(

Maybe I'm in the minority but no KK and no Glenn = no Priest

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Nah I think plenty will agree. Glenn was one of the main driving forces. I was fine with Glenn and Richie. Richie is a killer player.

Not to shoot down Andy. Dudes a killer producr and player. But Glenn is like one of the main pillars of the band. Huge huge shame.

7. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Glenn is, and will always be, my guitar hero of all heroes. Priest is what got me playing in the first place the moment I saw YGATC on eMpTyV back in '82.

As we discussed quite a bit during their last tour a couple of years ago, I always suspected he had Parkinson's. He was CLEARLY struggling to play during the 4 shows I saw. He would flub solos or completely miss his parts altogether, which had never, ever happened before. The very last show at the Paramount in LI, he missed the beginning of his solo in Hell Bent and Richie had to sort of rescue him, which was just...oh man. :(

At Foxwoods, I noticed his hands visibly shaking when they showed him on the video screen and that's when it all made sense. I knew this day was likely coming, which is why I was shocked when they announced a new album and tour. I just couldn't fathom him going back out on the road. I'm also curious to hear what, if any, solos he did on the new album (which I hear is outstanding, from a friend who has an advance copy).

Either way, I'm totally crushed. This just makes me so fucking sad. Father Time is a cruel mofo.

BenjaminW likes this.
  8. electriceye

I've always argued he is THE most underrated guitarist of all time. Show me a player that's created anything close to the solos in BTROD, All Guns Blazing or Touch of Evil. He's just always been such a monster, creative force. His ending is just so incredibly cruel.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

We need to find a cure.

M3CHK1LLA, budda, PBGas and 1 other person like this.
  10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I dare say, as much as it pains me to say so, Priest isn't the same without Tipton. As much as I like Faulkner, it's not the same without Downing. Take away Tipton & Downing, & it's pretty much on the shoulders of Halford & Hill, and I think that's the point when they should consider the band retiring, gracefully. They have nothing to prove, and they paved the way for many if not most of the rest of us along with Sabbath.
    The sad end of an era, but that era stands strong & proud.

Durtal likes this.
  11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

This is really tragic, and really hope for the best for Glenn. Might be time that Priest calls it a day.

... Side note, seeing how I listened to a LOT of Sabbat during my Thrash-heavy years, I would absolutely see Andy Sneap playing some Priest.

12. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Fuck man. I’m not expert on Parkinson’s but let’s hope it doesn’t kill him. Judas Priest isn’t what it is without Rob, K.K, Glenn, and Ian. Let’s not forget Ian Hill.

13. electriceye

I agree. Although, Richie REALLY won me over last tour. I also met him last year and he was THE nicest guy. We talked for quite a while about things. Frankly, KK wasn't the musical force behind Priest. It's always been Rob and Glenn. I was SO tempted to ask him about Glenn, because I just knew, but figured it wasn't appropriate to say anything.

With the age of the rest of the band, this album and tour will very likely be it for them. Ian and Rob will both be pushing 70 soon. What a great run they've had.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Last time I saw Priest was in 2012 probably, but in videos you could see and hear something was wrong. Richie was in the spotlight all the time. I like him a lot, mind you, apart from his habit to mimic Glenn's stage antics, but as much as I wouldn't begrudge him his spotlight, getting all of it with Glenn on the back with Ian was feeling wrong.
    (Ian always being in the back sort of felt wrong, too, but I guess we got used to it)
    The BTROD solo rates #1 in metal for me, and he definitely is one of the great influencers of the metal genre.

That said, let's get real: we're going to face a horrible decade when all the dudes are inevitably going to die of old age, from the Kiss/Priest/Sabbath pioneers to the 80es thrash guys. Unfortunately, Lemmy, Malcolm Young and RJ Dio were just the first.

electriceye likes this.
  15. electriceye

I agree with you about Richie during that tour. I was, frankly, irritated by the antics as well. It was too much. Maybe it was nerves. But, man, the last tour ('15-'16) he REALLY stepped up. His solo blew people away. And, having met him, I really like the guy and am grateful we've gotten TWO albums more than most of us expected from Priest because of him. My buddy who already has a copy says Firepower is their best since Painkiller.

And, yes, the next decade or so is going to be terribly painful for old school metal fans.

Descent likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I don't have a problem with Andy taking over, because from what I understand, Glenn gave his okay, and plans to have some [light] involvement in the future. I care more about Glenn doing what is healthy for him than, "Oh my god! No Glenn? NO PRIEST!" I'm happy he stuck it out for 10 years, and bowed out when he felt it was the time to do so for his health.

I'd still like to see Judas Priest some day, and I hope Firepower does well. I love both bands, but I'm not going to lie: I think Priest is better than Iron Maiden, and in some ways, even the mighty Sabbath.

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

It warms my heart still, even with all the stupid and deplorable shit KISS Inc does, that you listed them first. They are the reason I picked up the guitar, and why I am still a fan of rock and metal to this day.

That said, when people tell me "rocks not dead" (mainly because they saw some shitty third rate dive bar band play like it was still 1973), it really makes me laughs, especially when you consider that the originals are dead or dying, and there wasn't really a next generation to take over. Just a bunch of flashes in the pan that ended up not being able to hack it for the long haul.

In the immortal words of Walter Cronkite, "The President... is dead." Or in this case, "Rock n roll... is dead." Time to have a funeral, mourn, bury it, and -- I guess -- move on. There's nothing we can do to pull a Cher and turn back time, unfortunate as it is.

18. electriceye

The happy-go-lucky statements they are giving out are nice. But, let's be brutally honest here: Glenn is 70 and battling a degenerative disease that has *no cure*. He's not going to have any real involvement in the band. This will be the last album they do. And the last tour.

And, yes, Priest in WAY better than Maiden. It will always drive me crazy that they've remained so big while Priest floundered. But, I blame a lot of that on Priest's maddening reluctance to do anything outside of recording and touring. Hell, way back in the day, it took them YEARS to embrace the internet - and even then, it was always in a very, very weak, arm's-distance manner. The've made soooooooo many career missteps that really hurt their publicity.

19. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, Maiden got in to PR trouble for making a "satanic album". Priest is, well, called Judas Priest. They got way more airplay than Maiden, but they had a very weak string of records at some point which Maiden didn't have, which makes sense as Priest did try to make some different things while Maiden stuck to the formula. The trial about the hidden messages likely wasn't very good PR either.
    I don't listen to Priest albums very often, while Maiden is still on my rotation. But I'd pick a Priest show over a Maiden one without hesitation.